MAD GOD

bought the blu-ray(and it came with a dvd too which was weird) and watched it last night. This is like 95% stop motion with an odd choice of throwing in a few actors. I’ve always had a soft spot for stop motion and really underestimated how dark and outright disturbing this would be.

I can definitely appreciate the enormous amount of effort that went into it, and despite being dark a lot of the shots are very beautiful like the sequence with the plague doctor, but I have to admit I really didn’t enjoy sitting through Phil Tippet’s trauma. I guess it does a very good job of representing what hell looks like to him (with a heavy influence from Hieronymous Bosh by his own admission). I guess I’m just growing tired of all the dark and edgy shit that seems to be par for course these days. All stabs at dark humor missed the mark for me as well.

I couldn’t imagine what working on shit like this for decades would do to your psyche. I would definitely recommend checking out the special features after watching it though for some insight and background on Phil. Kinda like some of Jodorowsky’s films I have a love hate relationship here. It’s a unique, ambitious, and unapologetic offloading of one dude’s mental illness steeped in heavy symbolism and set in a hellish, Beksinski-an backdrop. It’s impressive but I at the end of the film I was actually more worried about the guy who made it than anything, and even moreso for the people in his life. I just hope that all of what was shown is just what’s in his head and he personally hasn’t been damaged or damaged other lives. I’m normally not the guy to say that type of shit but this was that disturbing. I hope it was a cathartic experience and he can move on to something way less bleak going forward.

Final verdict: Ambivalence. Equal parts brilliant and revolting. Your move, Marvel.

On 2/5/2023 at 4:16 PM, cruising for burgers said:

Mulholland Drive is so boring.

Lol. This shit terrified me more than any other movie I have ever seen in my life. Picked it up on a whim as a young teen without any clue of who David Lynch was. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hail Sagan said:

Lol. This shit terrified me more than any other movie I have ever seen in my life. Picked it up on a whim as a young teen without any clue of who David Lynch was. 

me 2 dudebro, I was just messing around...

This was so wicked, the drums from the IDM soundtrack were thundering in the theater, Brendan Fraser's Oscar win for an Aronofsky film was well timed, as the theater was pretty full. I totally spaced it was Pi Day today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

This was so wicked, the drums from the IDM soundtrack were thundering in the theater, Brendan Fraser's Oscar win for an Aronofsky film was well timed, as the theater was pretty full. I totally spaced it was Pi Day today.

Great film, just dug out the dvd from the garage and it's gonna get a spin soon

White Noise 8/10

I'll watch anything with Adam Big hands in it basically at this point. Kind of freaked out that this film happened and then a rare toxic spill happened in real life. What's that about? I'm surprised this film has such trash scores everywhere as it's better than some other films that won awards etc. *cough*  Anyhoo...

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On 6.5/10

Nice concept and some funny parts but the film was too long and a little self indulgent. Haha! Pubes. 

ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzQzYTA5

not so much a "comedy special" but chris rock venting then talking through the audience and directly to will smith. the whole thing feels deeply personal and cathartic and somehow it's dialed into a "show". 

that's funny out of ten 

On 3/15/2023 at 4:40 AM, Rubin Farr said:

this one has Ae for a soundtrack at some point iirc, it's awesome

I watched all the John Wick movies because my friend wants to see the fourth one in a theater. They're fine, I guess. Set pieces get better throughout the movies.

57 minutes ago, onecaseman said:

I watched all the John Wick movies because my friend wants to see the fourth one in a theater. They're fine, I guess. Set pieces get better throughout the movies.

I watched the first one recently also, as I keep seeing ads for the 4th one. you're correct, it's fine for what it is. stylized action movie with a simple plot. I only made it maybe halfway through the 2nd one tho. was like do I really need to keep watching this? p sure I know what's gonna happen. 

A decent serial killer film based on the facts at hand, it seriously apes the format and look of Zodiac, some scenes look like their were directly lifted from a David Fincher movie. Knightley’s American accent is distracting as well. B+

036DD7F7-BDB5-47E7-BFB6-92A8581BF0DC.webp

me want

This year, we’re bringing Jonathan Demme’s groundbreaking 1984 Talking Heads concert film STOP MAKING SENSE (newly remastered in 4K!) back to theaters worldwide.

• Like 1

been on a bit of a Jeff Bridges kick lately...which led me to this one:

spacer.png

this is one of those movies where I'm like "how the hell had I never heard of this, or seen it before?" then I remember that thanks to the golden age of streaming, practically every film ever made is now available for anyone to have access to with the touch of a few buttons. back in the day, this would have been one of those impossible to find rentals...or would've had to track it down and buy it on DVD. I read it had a very very limited release in like 1993.

I thought this was excellent. early '90s era gritty father/son drama with some excellent acting from both JB and Furlong. this is T2 era Furlong, he actually looks a little younger in this than he did in T2. anyway, this is a very Bukowski-ish type story, set in 1991 Seattle. tons of awesome clothing on display here, street life punk scenes, great dialogue. this should have been a much bigger hit if you ask me...instead Singles became the de facto grunge Seattle movie. a few great Tom Waits songs in this. the ending is sorta rushed and slightly unbelievable, but overall a great drama film.

Edited by zero
  • Like 1

i watched For Your Eyes Only last week and it was campy and weird. i think i just don't like the Roger Moore Bond movies, and this one was more competent than the other i watched but i i'm going to avoid the others. 

just finished The World is Not Enough and it was actually okay. it had plot holes/handwaving science and just shifting things from one set piece to the next, but it was all done well enough. Brosnon is alright, played Bond a little too much to the cliche, i think, but that's not a bad thing necessarily. the intro scene and main song (anyone remember Garbage?) were good, but the music overall was straightforward and servicable. Goldie was in this so that was something. most IDM-adjacent Bond movie?

also the other main non-Bond characters were all pretty solid....Denise Richards (nuclear physicist Dr Christmas Jones) was the weakest of them, but she did say a few almost-real science things correctly so: cool. Sophie Marceau was good, and Judi Dench and John Cleese are always classy. good Bond film.

• Like 1

finally made time for Infinity Pool only to discover it was stupid and bad. as if someone asked ChatGPT to write a Cronenberg movie. I'm really disappointed and my intense dislike of Mia Goth has been further cemented.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2023 at 2:25 PM, usagi said:

finally made time for Infinity Pool only to discover it was stupid and bad. as if someone asked ChatGPT to write a Cronenberg movie. I'm really disappointed and my intense dislike of Mia Goth has been further cemented.

Yeah, I watched that recently as well. Hated it.