image.jpeg.f61b045746bd3dc44bbf52ffdb5f00dc.jpeg

This is, like, the cover to the movie "Time Trap" which utterly oversells this thing when, actually, this is more the actual feel of the movie: 

image.jpeg.0018b9fea3147b68c853f008811aa878.jpeg

That's right. Moody teens and college kids in peril, with color grading that's reminiscent of SyFy flicks of yore. I actually read a review of this that said it felt of that era of films/tv, but in the best way possible. I totally agree.  It's got some cheese and limited capacity when it comes to visual effects and caliber of acting - but it kinda knows that and leans in to it a bit. It also does a great job of moving things along - there is little wasted space and interesting ideas are introduced at a regular pace. Typically movies like this have one basic McGuffin you spend the whole movie "discovering", but this one does an admirable job of introducing some natural extensions and evolutions of that central plot device rather than just sort of churning it's way around the same idea that you as the viewer figured out in the first five minutes. 

At an hour and a half, it's also the perfect length for this sort of thing. It entertains, tugs at a few heartstrings, introduces some trippy shit, and also ends on a happy note. It's the sort of thing that you feel a little bad for liking so much, but also secretly hope they make into a series so you can follow what happens next.  

Pretty fun sci-fi, like a slightly long episode of the Twilight Zone that I wish I could rail on, but, honestly, just enjoyed it. 

Evil Dead Rise

Fun movie especially in theaters. Took some risks by completely changing the setting which will inevitably piss of a bunch of diehards, but I thought it’s a gamble that paid off for the most part. Whoever played Ellie is the best thing in the franchise besides Ash of course. Only big let down for me was the ending, I liked the idea but it just didn’t live up to the hype. Was hoping more for something akin to a monstrosity you would see in Carpenter’s the thing, and having recently watched Phil Tippet’s MAD GOD I couldn’t help but think of how fucking amazing and grotesque it would have been had he been involved in bring that creature to life. Great gore, a few shots of dark humor and at least one very good performance from the main antagonist. Also, for a horror movie the main protagonist and the support cast in the family did a solid job imo. Worth checking out.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hail Sagan said:

Evil Dead Rise

Fun movie especially in theaters. Took some risks by completely changing the setting which will inevitably piss of a bunch of diehards, but I thought it’s a gamble that paid off for the most part. Whoever played Ellie is the best thing in the franchise besides Ash of course. Only big let down for me was the ending, I liked the idea but it just didn’t live up to the hype. Was hoping more for something akin to a monstrosity you would see in Carpenter’s the thing, and having recently watched Phil Tippet’s MAD GOD I couldn’t help but think of how fucking amazing and grotesque it would have been had he been involved in bring that creature to life. Great gore, a few shots of dark humor and at least one very good performance from the main antagonist. Also, for a horror movie the main protagonist and the support cast in the family did a solid job imo. Worth checking out.

14 people in the cast? that's intriguing, not too much place to fuck up I guess...

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt13345606/fullcredits/cast

2 hours ago, Hail Sagan said:

Evil Dead Rise

Such a neckbeard review, lazy comparisons to other horror films..dismissive of how well the film embraced the lore and moved the narrative on

41 minutes ago, prdctvsm said:

^ well he's seen evil ded rise at the theatre, & mbe breau is afraid !

?

that we know for sure, just wondering why he's not sharing his thoughts with is fellow watmmers... :datboi:

but hey, it's@Schlitze, it wouldn't be fun if he stopped trolling around...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Schlitze said:

Such a neckbeard review, lazy comparisons to other horror films..dismissive of how well the film embraced the lore and moved the narrative on

lazy comparisons sure but my beard is quite robust and located where it should be. Pat yourself on the back for getting your old angry ass out of the house and into a dark theater though snappin a photo of the ratings screen to flex on your online nemesis was an incredibly neckbearded maneuver on your part, friend. It did a great job embracing the lore and moving the narrative on as opposed to off I suppose. I probably liked it a little less than you dislike me. It’s an 8/10 guys, enjoy.