9 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Might have to check out Nausicaa & Mononoke on the big screen 

IMG_8635.jpeg

Never seen Nausicaa, but it always seems to circle my "to watch" list. Is it something that holds up? 

(I'm guessing so because, and I'm ashamed to say this, I only recently watched Mononoke and it was amazeballs)

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 8:37 AM, T3551ER said:

Never seen Nausicaa, but it always seems to circle my "to watch" list. Is it something that holds up? 

(I'm guessing so because, and I'm ashamed to say this, I only recently watched Mononoke and it was amazeballs)

Nausicaa is my fav bc it’s really the most hard sci-fi Miyazaki ever did, and this was his first full-length feature film to boot. They’re almost all good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

this started off with a lot of promise, then degenerated into a spectacle of shouting, shaking, screaming and vomiting. 

Sounds like pretty much every single day of my life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/27/2023 at 11:45 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Nausicaa is my fav bc it’s really the most hard sci-fi Miyazaki ever did, and his was his first full-length feature film to boot. They’re almost all good.

Dope. TY!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 11:59 PM, Alcofribas said:

were you able to get the senior citizen discount, grandpa?

No. Not nearly old enough. Why would you think that? Are you that guy who tells the hilarious long stories and the nerds go ”Hahahahahahahaha, that was a good one”

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2023 at 1:03 PM, Schlitze said:

No. Not nearly old enough. Why would you think that? Are you that guy who tells the hilarious long stories and the nerds go ”Hahahahahahahaha, that was a good one”

Reported

Guardians 3 - Aight, but too long and kinda disjointed. Didn't hate it as much as most other Marvel cashgrabs. 

Pope's Exorcist - Chungus Crowe phoning it in, no idea who thought this was a good idea. 

Renfield - I didn't expect to enjoy Nick Cage hamming it up this much, but I sure did. 

The Witch (err, The VVitch)

liked it quite a bit. happy to have a hunch about what happened to those twins.

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, iococoi said:

i had forgotten how weird that frighteners movie thing was/ is.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116365/ 

image.thumb.png.23495479bb50320ff3ed937c6bc24e1d.png

solid combs performance though

Yeah, kind of a hidden gem this one. I remember watching this and thinking the portrayal of death/the movement/look was so spot on. 

Just watched:

dPredestination (2014) - IMDb

Based (apparently) on a Robert Heinlen story, it definitely feels like an adaptation of a Heinlen short story (for good or for ill). It threw me a bit, because you kind of go in expecting this slam/bang action time travel thing, but it's much more a study in character. Some interesting commentary on gender identity going on, excellent acting both by Hawke but also Sarah Snook who knocks it out of the park. 

Solid film, much more Somewhere in Time than Back to the Future. Well shot, well directed, well acted. I wouldn't pay money to rent it, but would recommend watching it whenever it cycles around to streaming. 

Oh, can't remember if I wrote about this but this reminds me I recently watched another time travel shenanigans movie Shadow of the Moon. That one is utter dogshit who general twist you see coming immediately and whose larger twist didn't make me care even one iota more about the characters (even though it was supposed to). A promising opening that just kind of turns to dust. Similar themed movies too but Predestination does literally everything better. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

all his movies are the shit! and the music he composes for them is also lovely... one of my favorite director/musician ever...

still need to catch up on his last 2 movies...

They're both great, Incredible but true is a bit sad (which is not something usual with this guy), Smoking causes coughing is hilarious. Best french movie director of his generation IMHO 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

They're both great, Incredible but true is a bit sad (which is not something usual with this guy), Smoking causes coughing is hilarious. Best french movie director of his generation IMHO 

watch this if u haven't yet... completely different vibe but I think u might dig it...

also this, directed by Romain Gavras, who also directed Justice's music video, who are also a duo from the same label as Dupieux... Ed Bangers Records...

these movies have nothing to do with Dupieux signature but they just come to mind when I talk about him...

Don't feel pressure to watch anything based on a man on cruise ship sifting through torrents on a 32” Trinitron. He won't understand cinema until he gets back to dry land and into a theatre.

• Haha 3