The Pope’s Exorcist

This is the most B-movie-ish 2004-ish film I’ve ever seen. Russell Crowe seemed like he was having a blast. 

That exorcist is said to have done around 160000 exorcisms throughout his “career”. That’s 438 a day if he started the second he was born. 

• Like 2
  • Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, Squee said:

That exorcist is said to have done around 160000 exorcisms throughout his “career”. That’s 438 a day if he started the second he was born. 

Wouldn’t that math work out to something more like 10 exorcisms a day since he was born if he was say 40 years old (15-ish/day if he was 30)?
160,000 / 365 = 438… but that is only 365 days (one year).

2 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Wouldn’t that math work out to something more like 10 exorcisms a day since he was born if he was say 40 years old (15-ish/day if he was 30)?
160,000 / 365 = 438… but that is only 365 days (one year).

I did the math while on the toilet. You might be right. Dunno.

• Burger 1

On 5/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, Squee said:

The Pope’s Exorcist

This is the most B-movie-ish 2004-ish film I’ve ever seen. Russell Crowe seemed like he was having a blast. 

I feel like this is a such an accurate review of this one. I've been mining some Facebook groups for horror and found footage films recently and god is this movie getting savaged. I didn't get the hate. Total B-movie throwback, Crowe is just fucking hilarious in it. Everything doesn't have to be A24 ultra-slow burn arthouse fare it's a popcorn possession movie for FFS. 

Speaking of which, watched this gem the other night:

image.jpeg.79e2468a83e76d8e55a7a489f7a8ef0d.jpeg

Definite mid-range horror, but also very well carried off. Basically, a team of wanna-be influencer types have a show where they stream "live exorcisms!" but it's all a hoax... until it's not. Actually much better than the dumb premise sounds, carried off by some excellent acting and writing. In a lot of ways, I actually wondered if this was a Christian film in disguise, because there is a sense of underlying ethos here that feels particularly Christian - but the film is so good I actually don't care. Also some pretty amusing indictments of societies' obsession with social media - not really heavy handed though, almost satirical. 

Also:

Spoiler

Haha, mad props for the film throwing a late game twist that total undercuts the initial sense of triumph and ends the film on a total downer note that's also kinda hilarious. Total Fuck Around and Find Out on a global scale. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, T3551ER said:

I feel like this is a such an accurate review of this one. I've been mining some Facebook groups for horror and found footage films recently and god is this movie getting savaged. I didn't get the hate. Total B-movie throwback, Crowe is just fucking hilarious in it. Everything doesn't have to be A24 ultra-slow burn arthouse fare it's a popcorn possession movie for FFS. 

Speaking of which, watched this gem the other night:

image.jpeg.79e2468a83e76d8e55a7a489f7a8ef0d.jpeg

Definite mid-range horror, but also very well carried off. Basically, a team of wanna-be influencer types have a show where they stream "live exorcisms!" but it's all a hoax... until it's not. Actually much better than the dumb premise sounds, carried off by some excellent acting and writing. In a lot of ways, I actually wondered if this was a Christian film in disguise, because there is a sense of underlying ethos here that feels particularly Christian - but the film is so good I actually don't care. Also some pretty amusing indictments of societies' obsession with social media - not really heavy handed though, almost satirical. 

Also:

Reveal hidden contents

Haha, mad props for the film throwing a late game twist that total undercuts the initial sense of triumph and ends the film on a total downer note that's also kinda hilarious. Total Fuck Around and Find Out on a global scale. 

can’t remember if i finished that but i remember at least some of it. seemed alright but i think something about it irked me…didn’t leave much of an impression on me obv

i watched the first Mission Impossible movie and it was pretty good. some strangely off key moments and characterization but overall decent. going to try the whole series.

watched the Dungeons & Dragons movie last night and it was pretty fun. cutesy but not too much, goofy but in the right ways…surprisingly solid. CGI was amazing tbqh….very much unexpected how good some of it looked. not ‘realistic’ per se but looked good in the context of a movie.

• Like 1

Did i see another movie?

Evil dead Rise was not even mediocre.

Had high hopes after all the praise

but it was well undercooked and lazy.

Damn, i wanted this to be good.

Ahwell...

• Like 1

ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzkyNzI4

this reminded me a lot of those early-mid 90s black dramas like poetic justice or fly by night (complete with a soundtrack worthy of stretch & bobbito). it's not bad, but it's just more of what i just described with nothing new out of ten

and proper salute to mack daddy black (and the way he makes his money)

48 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

This goes on for an hour, Trump is in a space suit the whole time, so you don’t see his face

i tried watching this as well. it's all terrible cgi with someone doing a really bad impression of big T and probably getting inspiration for the script from one of T's nft's

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 12:02 PM, auxien said:

i watched the first Mission Impossible movie and it was pretty good. some strangely off key moments and characterization but overall decent. going to try the whole series.

M:I 2 was bad. bland plot, bad writing, bad directing (apparently John Woo is hot shit, but i'm no film buff and this movie was trash), bad editing, bad pacing, ridiculous fight/action scenes, and a cliche happy ending. very 90s. even the Zimmer score was mediocre at its best and absolutely silly at its worst. really hope the third one learned from the mistakes of this shitshow.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 8:32 PM, T3551ER said:

Which is why Barbarian was the best movie that came out last year.

5 hours ago, auxien said:

M:I 2 was bad. bland plot, bad writing, bad directing (apparently John Woo is hot shit, but i'm no film buff and this movie was trash), bad editing, bad pacing, ridiculous fight/action scenes, and a cliche happy ending. very 90s. even the Zimmer score was mediocre at its best and absolutely silly at its worst. really hope the third one learned from the mistakes of this shitshow.

It's the worst of the series by far. They don't get great again until McQuarrie comes in, but it's consistently uphill from here. (And I agree the first is a classic).

• Farnsworth 1

Oh wow, Stalker and Solaris are just on Youtube for free, officially uploaded by Mosfilm, the original production company. They've got a bunch of other Soviet films up there too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

One thing I simply cannot stomach about Nebraska's film posts is that he never says where he found/watched those movies, cause I can never fuckin find them anywhere xD