IGNORED

The Haxan Cloak - Excavation

Redruth

Guest nene multiple assgasms

yeah, anthony's style is the future of music reviews. it's like a friend telling you about a new album he heard, only more detailed and better expressed.

Mmmm Anthony Fantano,

I want to hate him but I find it hard to, which is quite impressive....

Edited by beerwolf

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen he's done the latest RA Podcast

Otto Luening and Vladimir Ussachevsky - Incantation for Tape
Sun Ra - Imagination
Finn McNicholas - Why I Hate the Sea
Autechre + The Hafler Trio - Hae3
Burning Star Core and Prurient - Wheel of Fortune (Haxan Cloak edit)
Burning Star Core and Prurient - Hydrophiiac (Haxan Cloak edit)
ø - Olematon
Kevin Drumm - Snow (Haxan Cloak edit)
Halim el-Dabh - Wire Recorder Piece
Nine Inch Nails - At the Heart of it All
Sunn O))) - Richard (Haxan Cloak edit)
Boards of Canada - June 9th (Haxan Cloak edit)
Plastikman - Consumed
Meira Asher & Guy Harries - Torture/Bodyparts
Joy O - Wade in
AFX - Mangle 11 (circuit bent VIP Mix)
Chris Clark - Glen Velez remix
Folk Implosion - Raise the Bells

this is incredible. holy cow.

Got around to listening to this today, fuckin great mix. Some of the transitions are ace.

Guest abracadabra

I was listening to this album the other day in the subway, and was genuinely scared because the vibrations of the trains passing by and the wind synced with the bass.

• 5 months later...

Finally listening to this, on Halloween no less. It's a such a well-executed and well-produced dark ambient album, a nice diversion from the often overly lo-fi/no-fi "dark" albums that have come out in the last few years. It's been said before, but I must echo the sentiment that Tri Angle actually puts some thought and effort in their label roster.

How's this album compare to his older material? What else is worth checking out ASAP?

This album had the Zomby effect on me. After intial big love, I lost interest fast. I think Haxan Cloak will one day make a serious classic album though.

His Observatory ep is worth checking

Edited by beerwolf

I was listening to this album the other day in the subway, and was genuinely scared because the vibrations of the trains passing by and the wind synced with the bass.

I´m impressed how you can listen to this kind of music on the street or subway i would behave strangely

This album had the Zomby effect on me. After intial big love, I lost interest fast. I think Haxan Cloak will one day make a serious classic album though.

His Observatory ep is worth checking

same here, never bought it in the end, just didn't hold long interest. impressive sound production throughout but the tracks themselves are half impressive, gets boring. a half and half album. that ep has 1 long track on it thats great.

• 3 months later...

Magnificent album, in my top five for 2013 for sure. In the interview Usagi posted, The Haxan Cloak he seemed quite the down to earth guy, it was interesting to hear about his work ethic.

Edited by Lewps

my review:

That Mirror Reflecting pt 2 track is gorgeous.. an amazing mixture of macabre, fantasy, sinister, and wonder... it sounds like an endless rabbithole of darkness, but not a despair or hopelessness kind of darkness, rather, a vastness of a world beyond.. the outer limits... nothingness and everythingness and the terrifying fathoming of just how strange and foreign those outer limits are/could be when a glimpse might be caught of it... an endlessly puzzling adventure, like falling down a seemingly never-ending pit, and realizing the magnitude of endlessness, the mindboggling nature of that endlessness along with the beauty of the realization that if theres a seemingly endless pit of darkness, there also must exist the opposite of that... and maybe it's from the same source.

Edited by Lane Visitor

• 5 months later...
  • 8 years later...

relistened to this for the first time in years the other night, and it's only gotten better with age. the second half of The Mirror Reflecting Pt2 is the highlight of the album, it creeps deep into your soul. I enjoy dark ambient as much as the next man, but I love that this isn't a bog-standard dark ambient album, there's a lot going on front and centre which keeps you engaged. the album title remains perfect, an exploration into the depths which takes you on a journey. I wish he'd made some follow-up albums that were equally powerful instead of veering into soundtrack work.

also:

On 11/1/2013 at 9:25 AM, Salvatorin said:

no fuck you guys shackleton is power and excellence

• Like 2

On 2/20/2023 at 4:30 PM, usagi said:

I wish he'd made some follow-up albums that were equally powerful instead of veering into soundtrack work.

btw the best substitute in the absence of this is the collab he did with The Body which remains a strong as fuck album.