IGNORED

Super Cheap Desserts

murve33

I huge majority of my food budget goes towards sweets (which is a problem in itself). While my girlfriend is away I generally live on celery and peanut butter (healthier than ramen), but I keep spending ass-loads of cash on candy bars and other pre-made desserts.

So, do you know of anything extremely cheap I can make? I remember reading in Little House on the Prairie that they'd drizzle maple syrup on ice and freeze it. I think that's worth a shot.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I huge majority of my food budget goes towards sweets (which is a problem in itself). While my girlfriend is away I generally live on celery and peanut butter (healthier than ramen), but I keep spending ass-loads of cash on candy bars and other pre-made desserts.

So, do you know of anything extremely cheap I can make? I remember reading in Little House on the Prairie that they'd drizzle maple syrup on ice and freeze it. I think that's worth a shot.

Jello

=)

or ghetto cinnamon rolls. cinnamon and brown sugar on some good texas style white toast with whip cream on it.

Edited by StephenG

panna cotta!

5 ingredients

4 cups (1l) heavy cream (or half-and-half)

1/2 cup (100g) sugar

2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

2 packets powdered gelatin (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)

6 tablespoons (90ml) cold water

1. Heat the heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan or microwave. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

(If using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds from the bean into the cream and add the bean pod. Cover, and let infuse for 30 minutes. Remove the bean then rewarm the mixture before continuing.)

2. Lightly oil eight custard cups with a neutral-tasting oil.

3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Pour the very warm Panna Cotta mixture over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.

5. Divide the Panna Cotta mixture into the prepared cups, then chill them until firm, which will take at least two hours but I let them stand at least four hours. (Judy told me American refrigerators are colder than European ones. )

If you’re pressed for time, pour the Panna Cotta mixture into wine goblets so you can serve them in the glasses, without unmolding.

6. Run a sharp knife around the edge of each Panna Cotta and unmold each onto a serving plate, and garnish as desired.

To make Panna Cotta with sheet gelatin: Soften 25g (approximately six sheets) in a liter of cold water for 5 to 10 minutes. Wring the sheets out and stir them into the warm Panna Cotta mixture in step # 4, until dissolved.

if you wanna get ambitious, blitz some raspberries or strawberries and sub by weight with the cream.

It sounds like your addicted to sugar Murveman

Yes, it's gotten very bad.

Some great suggestions in here. I hadn't even thought of rice pudding, and according to yahoo answers, a gallon of wal-mart icecream is 3ish bucks. Dunno what Panna Cotta is kaini, but it looks pretty cheap as free, so I'll get around to making it one of these days.

I'd forgotten about cinnamon toast. I used to eat that all of the time.

Can you get Angel Delight, or equiv, over there.

It's pretty sickly but cheap.

angel-delight.jpg

My Nan used to do strawberries with cut up choc-ice in a bowl. Doesn't sound like much but it was fantastic how it all complimented each other. I guess that depends how cheap you can get strawbs too, but choc-ices should be cheap.

just stop eating so much sugar

then when you have a little bit, it'll feel like a lot, etc

you save money, you're healthier, and your sweet tooth gets to indulge itself from time to time.

or ice cream.

bread pudding (use left over stale bread)

Tellin no lies, dude.

Bread pudding is the fuggin bomb.

Super easy. Super cheap. Super sweet and yummy. SUPER filling.

Also, it makes your house/apartment smell better than just about anything I can think of.

I have a massive sweet tooth as well. I try to keep it in check. I've gotten hooked on tapioca lately.

It's pretty cheep, comes in little packs and isn't so sweet/unhealthy that you feel too guilty after eating it.

Another cheep sweet you can get easily in more urban areas are those little packs of Flan. Sometimes, they are less than a buck and that is definitely a knockout for a sugar craving.

Also, don't forget about donuts, bros.