IGNORED

Post Your Most Recent Artwork

Joyrex

• 1 month later...

I messed up my arm while animating this. It hurts like hell. I've had this kind of problem with carpal tunnel + all kinds of painful stuff in my hand before and it took more than a year to heal. So I'm not sure if I'll ever finish this. Until then, here's what I made so far. It is supposed to be a love story, narrated by dreams. Maybe you'll se what I mean some day.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 5:53 AM, Dpek said:

I messed up my arm while animating this. It hurts like hell. I've had this kind of problem with carpal tunnel + all kinds of painful stuff in my hand before and it took more than a year to heal. So I'm not sure if I'll ever finish this. Until then, here's what I made so far. It is supposed to be a love story, narrated by dreams. Maybe you'll se what I mean some day.

Reminds me of samorost

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been shopping politicians lately. They're such awesome source material, because HD pics are readily available, but unlike actors/singers, they're not cute.

This one is entitled "Clay Higgins & Goons". The moon man on the left is packing a Glock. He may be a goon, but he's chill af. The ogre on the right obviously wields a club. You're in good hands, Clay.

65817582_ClayHiggensGoons.thumb.png.806464375bd2ee22a338e976e0a763d9.png

On 3/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, Squee said:

Sound design

hey I was always wondering why is sound design in modern games (and some movies), especially when it comes to big explosions -- instead being loud af, deafening, etc, they are immensely compressed (or not?), like soft, plastic sounds, like plastic rocks falling on plastic surface...(sorry I don't know how to properly describe it)

22 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

hey I was always wondering why is sound design in modern games (and some movies), especially when it comes to big explosions -- instead being loud af, deafening, etc, they are immensely compressed (or not?), like soft, plastic sounds, like plastic rocks falling on plastic surface...(sorry I don't know how to properly describe it)

Do you mean the sound of the rocks and debris during the last explosion? Or is the transient in the far-away explosions? ?

54 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

at 1:37, 1:45

Ok, so there are multiple reasons for the way these sound
The ones at 1:37 are distant explosions and if you listen to actual explosions recorded from a distance you'll hear that the majority of what you can hear is the transient and some late echoes from the surroundings. So it's way more realistic this way. I've uploaded a recording of an actual explosion for you.

Also, your ears actually compress loud noises such as explosions. When an incoming sound gets too loud a muscle in your ear tightens up and skews the levers reducing their efficiency, and therefore the level entering the inner ear. So it's also a way of reproducing what it would sound like if you were actually there.

Back to the transient...  the transient is super important for the sound to cut through the mix, because if all you have is a boomy and subby explosion it'll simply drown under the music and the rest of the sound design and you'll end up with a muddy mix. The same goes for video games. 10-15 years ago you would probably have made a distant explosion by applying a high cut/low pass and bob's your uncle, but that doesn't really sound good. And since sound design has become more and more complex and there's more stuff going on you need to approach this in a different way.

I hope that makes sense ?

• Thanks 2
  • Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, Squee said:

Ok, so there are multiple reasons for the way these sound...

yeah, makes sense from a technical, sound mixing point of view, when you have so many sounds coming through the mix. Thanks for the explanation. If it was made to be 100% realistic you'd probably just hear ear ringing all the time ?

Not usually into design contests at all, but entered one for Run The Jewels and Brooklyn Brewery. I liked these better than the actual label that came out of it. It was definitely a fun exercise though…

F47167C1-FD0B-4488-A8D7-B7649583ED74.png

868D821D-0149-404C-B45B-EB7E4617348F.png

Edited by jules
  • Like 9