IGNORED

'Global Warming's Terrifying New Math'

autopilot

Did you know that the largest GHG 'pollution' comes not from cars and factories, but cattle's poo? Yeah, it blew my mind too.

if you did a little research you'd know that to be false.

“Cars, buses, and trucks release pollutants and greenhouse gases that promote warming, while emitting few aerosols that counteract it. In contrast, the industrial and power sectors release many of the same gases—with a larger contribution to radiative forcing—but they also emit sulfates and other aerosols that cause cooling by reflecting light and altering clouds…

In their analysis, motor vehicles emerged as the greatest net contributor to atmospheric warming now and in the near term, with a total radiative forcing of 199 mWm-2 in 2020. The researchers found that the burning of household biofuels—primarily wood and animal dung for home heating and cooking—contribute the second most warming. And raising livestock, particularly methane-producing cattle, contribute the third most. The industrial sector releases such a high proportion of sulfates and other cooling aerosols that it actually contributes a significant amount of cooling to the system. And biomass burning—which occurs mainly as a result of tropical forest fires, deforestation, savannah and shrub fires—emits large amounts of organic carbon particles that block solar radiation.”

thats a statement by NASA 2 years ago when they conducted research to find the leading contributor to GHG.

Makes me feel pretty good about being vegetarian and riding a bike.

Although, it probably merely counterbalances the effect of being an electronic musician...

I just don't understand people. The nature is our cradle. We've been learning from it and working along her side for thousands of years. And now, in the name of 'development' we will ditch all that wisdom, observations and symbiosis and make piles of trash our civilization would like to drown in. Everything in nature is re-usable. Everything. Nothing goes to waste. And then a fat capitalist fuck comes around and thinks he knows better than a millions of years of evolution.

godwin austen u r friend

Well one major problem with the way we study and predict things like global warming right now is that we are taking hundreds (sometimes thousands) of years of geological and other weather related data and projecting that on the lifespan of the earth which is in the billions of years...

Hundreds of years, and thousands of years, are not an adequate sample of this data to be able to project it on billions of years of existence with any real accuracy. Its a fart in the wind really.

Chaos theory is fairly relevant here..

the difference between what has been allowed to happen to us and what could be and could have been allowed to happen to us is quite large. we have been extremely well off for thousands of years. however, the more we fail to perform our function (stewards of the earth etc) and the more we become conveniently naive as to what our function is, the more irrelevant we become in the greater process that is being preformed in this dimensional universe (there is an inside and an outside). only so much of the current sickness will be tolerated. we are attempting a cure but the disease may well become terminal.

I wouldn't take Rolling Stone articles with much relevance... on top of that...this global 'warming' is just a transitional phase. There's actually a huge freezing coming. And it's not even so much of a human's fault as is a natural cycle of the planet Earth.

great, when it freezes i can walk to england

Guest Frankie5fingers

the difference between what has been allowed to happen to us and what could be and could have been allowed to happen to us is quite large. we have been extremely well off for thousands of years. however, the more we fail to perform our function (stewards of the earth etc) and the more we become conveniently naive as to what our function is, the more irrelevant we become in the greater process that is being preformed in this dimensional universe (there is an inside and an outside). only so much of the current sickness will be tolerated. we are attempting a cure but the disease may well become terminal.

21.00-27.30 of the Louis CK- Live at the Beacon Theater is the best explanation of this. when he talks about how we fucked up the Earth for stupid reasons.

i can't find an individual clip and and i have a lot of respect for him so i refuse to post the full vid. so look it up yourself.

I wouldn't take Rolling Stone articles with much relevance... on top of that...this global 'warming' is just a transitional phase. There's actually a huge freezing coming. And it's not even so much of a human's fault as is a natural cycle of the planet Earth.

watch out...YEK is a comin'

watch out...YEK is a comin'

:rdjgrin:

Godwin Austin, are you saying that climate change due to the greenhouse effect is false and that we should continue to burn fossil fuels cause it won't have any noticeable effect since earth has its natural cycle anyway?

If so, why do I read and view so many videos and articles that claim it is fact, and that there is no longer anything to dispute but the minor details, and that like 97% of all scientific institutions agree with it (from wikipedia)?

Is the GHE not correct? Or does it not accelerate the heating as they claim? I guess I must be guilty of going to 'neo-liberal' sources... Note that I'm seriously curious about this, I'm not claiming to actually know anything myself with certainty, it just I get the feeling everyone else does and those who doesn't mostly have economic incentives not to.

Guest Frankie5fingers

hes not saying that its a myth. hes saying that the GHE is a naturally occurring cycle that the Earth goes through and that humans are simply accelerating it with our pollution. but we didnt create it. it was going to happen whether or not humans existed or not.

or at least thats what i think hes saying.

show me empirical, scientific proof that humans were designed to be "stewards of the earth".

if you cannot adequately address that, there is the root of your perceived problem right there.

i got a news flash for ya folks, mother nature dont give a shit whether humans are successful or not. we dont live on an anthropomorphic disney-ized planet.

• Like 1

show me empirical, scientific proof that humans were designed to be "stewards of the earth".

if you cannot adequately address that, there is the root of your perceived problem right there.

i got a news flash for ya folks, mother nature dont give a shit whether humans are successful or not. we dont live on an anthropomorphic disney-ized planet.

From the moment you can dirty your room, it makes some sense that you should clean it from time to time.

Humans give a shit whether humans are successful or not. To think we are doing any of this for nature is LOL. Fuck nature I want to to live on a planet where the air and water I consume are not going to poison me.

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

• 7 years later...

It's finally below 110° here. It was 117 in my neighborhood earlier. Everything in the house is hot. Counters, couch, floors, walls. It’s fucking nuts. I just picked up a bag of potato chips and it was hot. The outside of the fridge is so hot that the ice cube trays on the inside door shelves won’t freeze. The air outside smells like smoke from fires breaking out. I was in a kiddie pool with my wife in the backyard and it was raining ash a little. We also just had a rolling blackout. 
It’s all a little bit scary. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Sad 1
  • Burger 1

11 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

It's finally below 110° here. It was 117 in my neighborhood earlier. Everything in the house is hot. Counters, couch, floors, walls. It’s fucking nuts. I just picked up a bag of potato chips and it was hot. The outside of the fridge is so hot that the ice cube trays on the inside door shelves won’t freeze. The air outside smells like smoke from fires breaking out. I was in a kiddie pool with my wife in the backyard and it was raining ash a little. We also just had a rolling blackout. 
It’s all a little bit scary. 

that's just brutal. the rolling blackouts are the topper. doesn't matter if you have AC when there's no power. fuck. it's gonna be the new normal. some mellower years but typical high temps are going to be higher like this probably. 

until some paradigm shifting energy source makes a big boner in the world of energy the rolling blackouts will continue when demand is high or fire risk is high.. or whatever the fuck. 

summer up here has felt relatively mild compared to recent years even though we've  had a bunch of high average highs. didn't get the 107 degree days like we have in the past. 

go buy a bag of ice. put some in a footbath.. put your feet in it. will cool you down. make one for your head balls and ass. 

• Burger 1

ALL the Big companies could make our air a lot cleaner in a year if they moved to green energy. Amazon could deliver with electric vehicles. Uber could go electric. Apple is worth trillions now. They could go green too. Short term pain . Long term blessing foe the rest of us . Some companies are as big as nations. They could make a change now if they were pressured

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

that's just brutal. the rolling blackouts are the topper. doesn't matter if you have AC when there's no power. fuck. it's gonna be the new normal. some mellower years but typical high temps are going to be higher like this probably. 

until some paradigm shifting energy source makes a big boner in the world of energy the rolling blackouts will continue when demand is high or fire risk is high.. or whatever the fuck. 

summer up here has felt relatively mild compared to recent years even though we've  had a bunch of high average highs. didn't get the 107 degree days like we have in the past. 

go buy a bag of ice. put some in a footbath.. put your feet in it. will cool you down. make one for your head balls and ass. 

Isn’t a big part of the cali problem mass privatization and general inefficiency of the grid? Iirc there’s a handful of companies trying to maintain power/water/etc for a profit and it’s like a textbook case of pure capitalism failing? Where public welfare is involved sometimes the state is a better manager I unno. Maybe this is my Canadianist perspective ?‍♂️

Edit: aside from the v obvious overpopulation.

edit edit: a quick google search suggests cali is a prime example of under regulation following privatization. Hope it calms down for you guys. I was in Bakersfield a couple years back and the company I was dealing with said it was a record - they were on something crazy like the 6th or 7th consecutive week of over 100 degrees daily ?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

54 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Isn’t a big part of the cali problem mass privatization and general inefficiency of the grid? Iirc there’s a handful of companies trying to maintain power/water/etc for a profit and it’s like a textbook case of pure capitalism failing? Where public welfare is involved sometimes the state is a better manager I unno. Maybe this is my Canadianist perspective ?‍♂️

Edit: aside from the v obvious overpopulation.

edit edit: a quick google search suggests cali is a prime example of under regulation following privatization. Hope it calms down for you guys. I was in Bakersfield a couple years back and the company I was dealing with said it was a record - they were on something crazy like the 6th or 7th consecutive week of over 100 degrees daily ?

cali has many problems. energy grid and utilities is one. the enron scandal wasn't that long ago. i was living in san diego at the time. There were all kinds of energy companies selling pie in the sky type shit to consumers then 6 months later fucking them over and calling for collections.  it was a mess then. can't imagine what it's like now. 

entire USA needs billions invested to modernize the energy grid. patchwork system is gonna fail and go boom. already has when that mega blackout happened in NYC years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marf said:

ALL the Big companies could make our air a lot cleaner in a year if they moved to green energy. Amazon could deliver with electric vehicles. Uber could go electric. Apple is worth trillions now. They could go green too. Short term pain . Long term blessing foe the rest of us . Some companies are as big as nations. They could make a change now if they were pressured

Long-term thinking isn't what shareholders want. It hall about the quarterly earnings. That's the only thing that matters in the world today. As long as number goes up on the stocks, fuck the environment.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ignatius said:

cali has many problems. energy grid and utilities is one. the enron scandal wasn't that long ago. i was living in san diego at the time. There were all kinds of energy companies selling pie in the sky type shit to consumers then 6 months later fucking them over and calling for collections.  it was a mess then. can't imagine what it's like now. 

entire USA needs billions invested to modernize the energy grid. patchwork system is gonna fail and go boom. already has when that mega blackout happened in NYC years ago. 

Oof... sounds like a mess. 

14 minutes ago, azatoth said:

Long-term thinking isn't what shareholders want. It hall about the quarterly earnings. That's the only thing that matters in the world today. As long as number goes up on the stocks, fuck the environment.

Hot vs patient money. Pressure from the banks and private shareholders to deregulate capital flows  in the US have resulted in mass destabilizing investments across the globe. Of course the countries in crisis have to adopt liberal economic policies to get bailed out by the imf etc. Economic imperialism/Washington consensus etc. 
 Investors are always in search of short term gains, like you pointed out... the regulators need to stamp down on easily liquidated financial instruments and limit currency convertibility to stabilize economies imo. ?‍♂️

edit: I’m curious to see how much of the Cali grid is financed from outside of Cali? 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1