IGNORED

FD9-4

sergeantk

thanks man!

does this seem like it fits in with the dubby techno paradigm to anyone or is this more of a standalone, style-wise? To me it kinda sounds like it could be a closer to an album that I haven't written yet.

when the trancbient 90's strings come in, and then that lead around 1:20, i like this track. it's really nice. makes me think of listening to the techno radio station when i was a young boy.

I know how hard it is to go back to a track after you feel it is finished, but I feel like the drums could be processed differently. I always say this, but try mixing in a room recording of the drums. I feel like that would help this track to stand up more under criticism and still be, as you say, standalone.

I know how hard it is to go back to a track after you feel it is finished, but I feel like the drums could be processed differently. I always say this, but try mixing in a room recording of the drums. I feel like that would help this track to stand up more under criticism and still be, as you say, standalone.

Would you mind elaborating a little? I don't quite get what you mean by mixing in a room recording... as in recording my monitors playing the drum track?

I appreciate the comments guys thanks for tuning in! Maybe I'll throw this on an EP in the near future after a little reworking.

I love the detuned string pad. I agree the drums mix doesn't quite work with the rest of the track, some channels seem to have too much bass.

I think playing with taking out some beats or some drums for a few bars in different sections of the song would spice up the structure.

I wish there was a part at the end where it would only get down to the string pad, the distant piano bass and maybe a lone drum for some rythmic emphasis.

I love the detuned string pad. I agree the drums mix doesn't quite work with the rest of the track, some channels seem to have too much bass.

I think playing with taking out some beats or some drums for a few bars in different sections of the song would spice up the structure.

I wish there was a part at the end where it would only get down to the string pad, the distant piano bass and maybe a lone drum for some rythmic emphasis.

Nice ideas, this plays into something I've been toying with... some sort of crossfaded section at the end, I'll have to see what I can come up with. As far as the drum mixing, I'm not really sure how to fix it right now... maybe just some eqing? or is it deepr?

Would you mind elaborating a little? I don't quite get what you mean by mixing in a room recording... as in recording my monitors playing the drum track?

I appreciate the comments guys thanks for tuning in! Maybe I'll throw this on an EP in the near future after a little reworking.

yes, I mean using any microphone, even a cell phone, and recording the drums turned up pretty loud, and set up the mic on the other end of the room. experiment with different distances from the speakers and then overlay that upon the dry beat. gives it a subtle, organic feel. when i use that technique however, i usually am going for a more noise art kind of piece than a regular song and use a really degraded room recording with phasing created by moving the mic around.

Not really my kind of music, but for some reason I kinda like it :)

If was you I would remove the snare with the delay, because it sounds very midi-ish and it doesn't really add anything. Actually, that snare sticks out like a sore thumb when it comes back at 3:18.

The pads get sidechained by the kick, right? I would make that even more powerful so those pads get a bit of rhythm to them and also make the release on the compression longer so they kinda start to fade in.

yes, I mean using any microphone, even a cell phone, and recording the drums turned up pretty loud, and set up the mic on the other end of the room. experiment with different distances from the speakers and then overlay that upon the dry beat. gives it a subtle, organic feel. when i use that technique however, i usually am going for a more noise art kind of piece than a regular song and use a really degraded room recording with phasing created by moving the mic around.

This is a really cool idea, never thought of it before, definitely worth a try

You make lovely tunes, man.

Your EP is still a go-to for reading, its relaxing like whoa. :beer:

thanks man :beer: thats exactly as I intend (to be relaxing) so it's really good to hear that :happy:

love this :biggrin:

thank you!

Not really my kind of music, but for some reason I kinda like it :)

If was you I would remove the snare with the delay, because it sounds very midi-ish and it doesn't really add anything. Actually, that snare sticks out like a sore thumb when it comes back at 3:18.

The pads get sidechained by the kick, right? I would make that even more powerful so those pads get a bit of rhythm to them and also make the release on the compression longer so they kinda start to fade in.

glad you liked it squee! Ah the snare was more of a rhythmic thing, but maybe a different percussive sound would fit better yes, I didn't see it as sticking out until you made me more aware of it.

As far as sidechaining, i really like the effect but I feel forced to leave it to be "more subtle" because everytime I do it in a more apparent manner I get bitched at by several people. Not that being bitched at is a driving factor, but to my ears I have no idea what amount of sidechaining is the right amount. If you have an examples or videos or whatever that would be super helpful.

Archived