6. Knell

7. Slumber (ft. Gravenhurst)

8. Fanfare

samples

http://www.planet.mu/discography/ZIQ328

Edited by vincentvc
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They're straight out of 80's / 90's early Detroit techno (don't forget one of Mike's fav producer is Derrick May) / synth pop etc...

Edited by lin

I love that Planet-µ puts up samples longer than 30 seconds that aren't just the full track. So nice to finally hear that same part of Bliss that's on that video in a higher quality. I've never heard any Gravenhurst before, but his voice is quite nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I prefer the tracks as strictly instrumentals. The meaning and tone of lyrics distracts me from being able to bury myself into the music. The tone of voice immediately forces my attention and it distracts from my being able to develop my own feelings from the sonic messages being delivered to me. The music is really good on its own is all I'm saying.

I too prefer the instrumental tracks on offer here, otherwise all great music! Mu seem to have plenty of 4/4 on the books at the moment with polysick and ital too. Love it.

I really like Bliss and Blue Lights. I don't think there's anything on the album that I particularly dislike, but those are my favorites.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ilt17
      Hi,
      So since early 2019 I've been spending a lot of time gathering all my favorite bits from Vsnares catalog, eventually gathering them in this massive mix.
      I tried to make it more eventful than a simple "deck to deck" mix, yet smooth and enjoyable for a casual listener. Hardcore fans might enjoy tracking down all the subtleties too.
      No deck was used, all the sync & mix was done with Audacity and Calculator, a few effects were added sporadically. Almost every track has been edited at some point.
      I tried a Mixcloud upload but this got instantly unavailable for USA listeners (really...), so I quickly did a Mixlr link :
      https://mixlr.com/nyuhm/showreel/lcmx03-venetian-snares-4
      Tracklist : https://pastebin.com/JYAnFYTN
      Hope you enjoy.
      PS: some might remember 4 years ago i applied the same principle on Autechre discography, still online (and ok for USA ;) : https://www.mixcloud.com/NYUHM/autechre-25-years-the-megamix/
    • By Nil
      Massively looking forward. Like, AOTY contender already.
      I’ll update when there’s more info.
    • By Bambi
      Planet Mu (1st May 2020)
      https://italtek.bandcamp.com/album/outland

01 Chamber Music
      02 Open Heart
      03 Deadhead
      04 Reverie
      05 Bladed Terrain
      06 Diamond Child
      07 Angel In Ruin
      08 Leaving The Grid
      09 Endless
      10 Oblivion Theme
      Ital Tek (a.k.a. Alan Myson) returns to Planet Mu with his sixth album ‘Outland‘.

The album was written during a period of new beginnings following a move out of the city to a quieter space and the birth of his first child. During this time of self-imposed isolation Alan recorded a huge amount of source material and spent weeks and months sitting up at night with his newborn, listening back and making notes on how the new record should take form, focusing and developing ideas to shape this lean ten-track album.

Alan talks of the record being a collaboration between two parts of himself, something that definitely comes across as the album unfolds. Textures are something Alan excels at and on his last album, the largely beatless ‘Bodied’, it felt as if he was building a new sound-world. On ‘Outland’ he expands upon this. The album brings together the extremes of Alan's sound, contrasting roughened bass and beats with starker more detailed atmospheres and emotions.

The most beat-driven song here is ‘Deadhead’, with its gnarled bouncing bass, angular distorted melodies and cavernous textures. On tracks like ‘Bladed Terrain’ the contrasts are even more defined with buzzing drones and razor sharp drums plunging into a grainy fog, giving the track a dramatic 3D feel. Then there are the stop-start pauses of ‘Leaving The Grid’, where the song evaporates into space before reemerging with shuddering rhythms and ghostly textures. Melodies crawl around these tracks as if they’re just waking up, as heard on the atmospheric ‘Angel In Ruin’.

The sleep-deprived fraying of the senses became Alan’s routine and one which he says gave him a renewed creative energy; half-asleep, working through the night, and then into the daytime super-focused but exhausted. Prone to audio hallucinations whilst writing the album, he aimed to capture these distortions in his perception of pitch and time, and you can hear these effects interpreted on tracks like ‘Endless’ and ‘Open Heart’ as melodies phase and slip out of time like an emotional Doppler effect. This is also true of the soaring atonal synths at the peak of ‘Diamond Child’, which feel like the aural equivalent of eye floaters.