IGNORED

Vatican Shadow - It Stands To Conceal

Guest Ron Manager

Guest Ron Manager

333.jpg

"It Stands To Conceal" contains the most recent Vatican Shadow cassettes on vinyl for the first time. This set includes: Jordanian Descent, Ghosts Of Chechnya, and Atta's Apartment Slated For Demolition. Total pressing of 911 copies.

complete track listing:

LP I - Jordanian Descent

1. Jordanian Descent (Sharia Law) (15:10)

2. Jordanian Descent (Guantanamo Military Commissions) (15:13)

LP II - Ghosts Of Chechnya

3. Encryption Nets (6:24)

4. The House Of The Followers (2:32)

5: Peace Rage (2:51)

6: The Hamburg Cell Was Born In Chechnya (4:31)

7. He Held The Victims Responsible (3:45)

8: Voices Came Crackling Across A Motorola Hand-Held Radio (5:11)

9: Chechnya's Ghosts Loom Large In Death Of Former Spy (6:09)

10: Snipers As A Breed Tend To Be Superstitious (7:16)

LP III - Atta's Apartment Slated For Demolition

11. There Was A Black Banner On The Floor (9:44)

12. Al Qaeda Possess Nuclear Capacity (9:49)

13. Wahhabi Money Flows (9:48)

14. Once This Fire Gathers Strength (9:08)

Not cheap - pre-order on Boomkat is £36.99: http://boomkat.com/vinyl/597868-vatican-shadow-it-stands-to-conceal-triple-vinyl-edition

you can also pre-order from Hospital with the option to catch up a coloured wax version.

To be honest- yesterday I talked to a friend about VS and I mentioned that it's not a good choice to release so many VS eps and albums in a short run. Dom's latest offerings are not the best (I found Atta's Apartment… for example a bit disappointing) in terms to speak from VS and the only one that would get me real excited is the Ghosts … one on vinyl.

Maybe Dom should go in a little hiatus (but leave with a digital of his Kuwait tape, the second rehearsal tape edition he has done yet) before offering more, or release some older work on vinyl.

you can also pre-order from Hospital with the option to catch up a coloured wax version.

To be honest- yesterday I talked to a friend about VS and I mentioned that it's not a good choice to release so many VS eps and albums in a short run. Dom's latest offerings are not the best (I found Atta's Apartment… for example a bit disappointing) in terms to speak from VS and the only one that would get me real excited is the Ghosts … one on vinyl.

Maybe Dom should go in a little hiatus (but leave with a digital of his Kuwait tape, the second rehearsal tape edition he has done yet) before offering more, or release some older work on vinyl.

I couldn't agree less, to be honest with you. I think he's on a prolific roll at the moment, releasing a diverse range of EPs and LPs that all have their strong points. His Bed of Nails releases are particularly strong, and I'm glad this is getting an LP release because I don't enjoy digital-only downloads. Both 'Jordanian Descent' and the lighter sounding 'Atta's Apartment Slated For Demolition' sound like real gems from what I've heard so far.

911 copies, lol

ohh……… yes now I see the connection on this.

Interestingly a friend who met Dom while he was playing at the Pudel in Hamburg said he is a very interested and friendly guy. While he was in Hamburg he has even visited the street and the house Atta lived in. I think he just has a faible for such things surrounding 9/11 etc etc.

• 1 month later...

The smear you mentioned can also be a part of offering "unique" records for those who have luck catching the coloured set. No two records looks the same with that method. I have seen this technic on some other releases too.

I have high hopes for this set. Some tracks are a bit mhhh-not-sure-about-yet but the Ghosts Of album is really excellent. I hope Dom drops the coloured one at me since I wrote that explicitly in my paypal payment note.

Shipping is quite hefty, but boomkat isn't that less expensive. Shipping rates to Germany are crazy.

okay, got it today- Dom send me even the coloured wax I have asked for and 4 sealed CDs as an extra gift. Mainly Black Metal and Noise sadly, but the gesture counts.

The vinyl is not that heavy- normal pressing, no 140 or 180gr as I had expected for the price. Nevertheless the sound is amazing and you can hear they remastered it for vinyl very carefully (compared to the files I bought after the tapes came out). The artwork is amazing, the inner part is kinda weird with that scenery. You can see all relevant above.

The music is top notch, listening again to the first record (with the 20+ minutes beasts) just erase my first review of it. It's nice and tribaling in an very strange, untechno-id way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ron Manager

After some consternation I decided I'd regret not getting this, so I shelled out the £50 for this... these three releases are so awesome, can't wait to have a vinyl copy!

How much did you pay to get it from HP direct to Germany MarinaStewart?

After some consternation I decided I'd regret not getting this, so I shelled out the £50 for this... these three releases are so awesome, can't wait to have a vinyl copy!

How much did you pay to get it from HP direct to Germany MarinaStewart?

I paid around 75 USD for them from the HP, shipping was like 25 USD when I remember right. Fair price and I did not even had to go the customs.

Dom wrote 3 LPs on the invoice, with a amount of 3 USD!!! clever kid, but I hope he don't lose that much parcels with that… ;)

PS: HP is now sold out. I'm happy I could get the coloured one, looks damn nice.

Guest Ron Manager

I'm still uncertain why it had to be so expensive... one guy on discogs was annoyed that HP had cheaply squeezed the 3 LPs into a 2xLP gatefold sleeve. If these pressings were all originally shipped from the US, I guess Boomkat had to charge a lot to recoup the postage cost...

one guy on discogs was annoyed that HP had cheaply squeezed the 3 LPs into a 2xLP gatefold sleeve.

yep, that is sadly exactly the point- since I use plastic protective sleeves for all my records I cannot put two of them in one side of the gatefold. I have to put one in the middle for that.

I must say that ordering from HP wasn't a letdown as many wrote in other forums (for example, ordering the special edition and then getting the standard one only… or wishing a vinyl colour and getting the black one).

I ordered normally but added a note to my paypal transaction, asking Dom to send me the coloured one or if not possible, write me and send me the black one. He did not reply to me but I got the coloured one plus 4 CDs from HP as a gift on top.

Fair deal I would say.

I pre-ordered this some time ago from Boomkat, when it was cheaper than now listed on their New Releases page, and paid the lower price, thank goodness. Had it been £45.99 on pre-order I would not have purchased, as that is a ridiculous price for this to be honest.

I can only assume that postage costs were indeed higher than expected, although it is, as has been pointed out, three discs rather badly jammed into a pretty standard, glossy gatefold sleeve.

It is a very nice gatefold sleeve, don't get me wrong, but it's not big enough. I would have ended up paying something like 75 GBP to get the coloured wax version shipped to the UK, and as much of a fan of the latest Vatican Shadow stuff as I am, I simply couldn't afford it.

Record labels like HP, Type, Modern Love and Echospace [Detroit] need to be a little careful about their pricing, especially in economically troubling times, or they'll end up pricing themselves out of the market.

[…] three discs rather badly jammed into a pretty standard, glossy gatefold sleeve.

I have thought HP would do a 3 panel gatefold for that. I follow another forum a bit where they discuss HP widely and most of the users there complain about the same: prices silly and postages high as well plus the problem that Dom doesn't care a bit for special wishes (like getting a non-standard edition etc etc.)

Record labels like HP, Type, Modern Love and Echospace [Detroit] need to be a little careful about their pricing, especially in economically troubling times, or they'll end up pricing themselves out of the market.

Type isn't that expensive if you know the reasons for that- I have spoken to John several times about that problem and he said he has to get the costs in. I can understand that since mastering and cut plus packaging can be truly expensive.

The Demdike Stare set on ML was another thing I never understand. I had the elemental boxset with the 2 first 12inches and had to get the 2 after it. I know many have missed a part dued to holidays or other reasons making the own boxset worthless when you miss a volume and don't want to pay ridicolous money on 2nd handers.

The price was pretty high, they could have better wait to get the whole thing together instead of partwise selling.

Yeah the price on this one completely turned me off tbh, ditto the last echospace release. I guess they know what they're doing because the runs usually sell out, but spending 40 quid on a single release (unless it's something flash like the oneohtrix box set) leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Type aren't so bad though, most of their releases are in the normal price range aren't they? Got quite a few of their records and don't remember paying over the odds for any of them.

Guest Ron Manager

Yeah the Demdike Elemental set was, at the time, unobtainable - simply couldn't afford it. Bit better off at the moment, but still... looking forward to getting it but it's not often I can afford this kind of stuff.

Having said all this, remember how much the Analord binder was? I seem to remember it being $130-140 to get it shipped to US (where I was living at the time)... and that was a single 12" with a fancy package!

Yeah the price on this one completely turned me off tbh, ditto the last echospace release. I guess they know what they're doing because the runs usually sell out, but spending 40 quid on a single release (unless it's something flash like the oneohtrix box set) leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Type aren't so bad though, most of their releases are in the normal price range aren't they? Got quite a few of their records and don't remember paying over the odds for any of them.

You're right of course, sorry. Type aren't quite in the same league as some other labels I can think of, but I was thinking specifically of the recent Pete Swanson EP and one or two other LP's that were quite a bit more expensive than others. I'm sure it must be to do with hidden costs I'm not aware of, though, because John wouldn't do it unless he really had to in order to turn a profit and put money into the next release.

the demdike stare was done proper, expensive but proper, this is expensive but a cheap cock up, glad i avoided yet shame cos its good tuneage

well, the problem is that HP has a strange view on pricings. Even the tapes are expensive as hell. They do not much promotion for the stuff they do and it's always a ridicolous low amount of copies they offer. Dom had once a real shop and the amount was hold down so people have to grab copies in the shop instead of ordering online. Since the shop is closed, he sells online but many people are angry that the stuff solds out within minutes and many have no access in time to it since international timeshifts……

Seems like the attitude: you get it or not.

The packaging is nice on the VS set and the vinyl sounds proper, but right, no need to cram the whole thing in a gatefold 2LP sleeve. I store one LP in the middle, if you get it second hand for a decent and fair price, grab it anyway zupiclone.

Record labels like HP, Type, Modern Love and Echospace [Detroit] need to be a little careful about their pricing, especially in economically troubling times, or they'll end up pricing themselves out of the market

isn't that because of the cost of pressing + the niche market their targeted towards?

Record labels like HP, Type, Modern Love and Echospace [Detroit] need to be a little careful about their pricing, especially in economically troubling times, or they'll end up pricing themselves out of the market

isn't that because of the cost of pressing + the niche market their targeted towards?

can only speak for Modern Love, but since they sell out of things quite quickly like Elemental and do lots of represses of stuff like Luxury Problems i don't think they are having much problem selling their stock. I personally believe they are taking advantage of a collectors market combined with the fact that they have an entire store, Boomkat to promote their merchandise. In the case of Modern Love it's not like Boomkat is simply the umbrella company, it's essentially Boomkat's record label directly ran by the store owners.

Elemental seemed like a better package physically speaking but i honestly felt pretty ripped off by what i got for the money spent, so much extra room left over on each record not to mention odd locked grooves of silence that make it a pain in the ass to just put on in the background and enjoy. Also the 'reworked' versions of the same songs for the CD were barely different.

Archived