IGNORED

Nightmare on Nuke Street

Joyrex

Guest Frankie5fingers

just skimmed through. pretty cool though. will read it when i get more time. don't know it being crackpot theories though. it seemed like it was only talking about the cold war. and everyone knew all about the potential of nuclear war that was looming then.

The whole "losing a nuke to davy jones locker" thing scared me the most. Considering we only know like 1% of oceanic waters, who knows what the fuck that nuke could be settling next to.

There is one theory posited to get rid of nukes by storing them where tectonic plates meet, since there are generally molten chasms that separate them before they slide over one another. It doesn't have a lot of environmental backing, since, well, shoving shit between tectonic plates can be dangerous. But I wonder if it's been done before. Considering that storing nuclear rods in mountains while waiting for them to radioactively decay (mind you, takes thousands of years) is proving to be quite limited.

Also, even if we did come up with a safe way of removing nuclear warheads, would that even rid the world of them? It's pretty much become a status symbol for nations.

http://www.foreignpo...treet?page=full

This "magazine" seems a bit crackpot and tinfoil hat to me at first glance, but still an interesting read.

can't tell if serious...

Yeah these are all well-documented yet seemingly obscure events, probably because they have been overshadowed by more catastrophic contamination breakouts. I guess I'm just someone who has had a particular interest in the subject, but that said the details of the 1956 RAF Lakenheath crash and near detonation was something I hadn't been aware of. For me that's particularly crazy since I was born on that base hospital. Nukes were still stored there until 2008. Certain non-nuclear weapon owning NATO members (Netherlands, Turkey, Belgium) have access to tactical delivery US nuclear bombs on European installations. It's literally a nuclear weapon sharing program within NATO. In summary: :wtf:

There's a detailed list of US military incidents, broken down by classification. It's surreal how these actual events so closely resemble the plot devices in so many apocalyptic cold war novels and films.

March: I have high standards for aircraft-related mishaps, but the 1958 incident at Mars Bluff is a doozy. (What's with 1958, huh?) The B-47 crew had failed to secure the bomb in the bay and, while attempting to replace a "locking pin" in flight, accidentally tripped the bomb release. The bomb landed in a residential area in the unincorporated hamlet of Mars Bluff near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina -- and exploded. Fortunately, only the high explosives detonated. But the impact crater can still be seen today. "Not too many people can say they've had a nuclear bomb dropped on them," Walter Gregg, the man who lost his house to the accident, told a local newspaper. "Not too many would want to." Gee, you think?

Archived