IGNORED

I Could Listen To Stone In Focus Forever

Mellow U

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wish people would stop calling these tracks by these made up names... it's #19, not "stone in focus".

Giving these tracks names/descriptions only serve to limit their interpretation. That's why Richard didn't name them to begin with.

You are all a bunch of asses :emotawesomepm9:

If you must, refer to it as "#19" (the UK original vinyl tracklisting is the only valid one, since it contains all the tracks).

Fun Fact: On (28mix) was a SAW II "leftover" track - I sure would love to see how many tracks he ended up making and then distilling it down to the 25 actually released.

i have an old astralwerks compilation called excursions in ambience and the track in question is on it; it's also called #19 there as well FWIW.

also one time in college i was doing math problems and put that track on repeat and after about an hour my roommates came in and asked me what was going on and said they were expecting me to be sitting in the room holding a crystal. stone in focus indeed. anyway,

edit: it was "excursions in ambience: the third dimension" FWThat'sW

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Excursions-In-Ambience-The-Third-Dimension/master/21194

The stupid thing is it's called "stone in focus" because the image representing the track on the album is (wait for it)... a stone. in focus. What else would it be? So if it was a picture of a stone out of focus, it would be called that? Silly.

It's an ambient track; it doesn't need a "title". Even the numerical designation is superfulous, and only needed for our human need to organize and categorize.

The stupid thing is it's called "stone in focus" because the image representing the track on the album is (wait for it)... a stone. in focus. What else would it be? So if it was a picture of a stone out of focus, it would be called that? Silly.

It's an ambient track; it doesn't need a "title". Even the numerical designation is superfulous, and only needed for our human need to organize and categorize.

Yes, but people find it easier to recognize things if they are labeled with a certain "identity" instead of an abstract name. Just like how we use DNS addresses for websites instead of using IP addresses, it's easier to remember a name then a meaningless number. I don't know if the images relating to the tracks on SAW II have any context to the sound or production, it's just easier to name them.

The relative size of the images to each other on the artwork correlates to the track's length as the overall running time. The images were taken by Richard himself, and nothing I've read or heard says the images themselves correlates to the tracks they represent (what's especially confusing is how there are different images for some of the tracks on the US release vs the UK release).

You're absolutely right about it being easier - that's why Gonzi Marchan and Alan Perry "named" these tracks in addition to the Caustic Window tracks before they were given official names on the AFX FAQ ages ago...

You are all a bunch of asses :emotawesomepm9:

If you must, refer to it as "#19" (the UK original vinyl tracklisting is the only valid one, since it contains all the tracks).

Fun Fact: On (28mix) was a SAW II "leftover" track - I sure would love to see how many tracks he ended up making and then distilling it down to the 25 actually released.

Dang. Hadn't really listened to this track b4.. thanks 4 the mention. Soo good ughh richard is a wizard. Any other ambient gems of his i might've missed?

i have a strong need to latch on to identities and titles, so i made my own titles for every saw track

for anyone interested (everyone reading this, prob), here's misterE's track titles for (american cd) SAW II:

1. Speech Impediment Alpha

2. Circus FreakShow Spectacular (Happy Clowns)

3. A Important Feeling

4. A Psychopath (is waiting patiently)

5. Pum Pum, Pum.. Pum

6. Kid Who's Prob Up To No Good But Looks Innocent

7. Cave City

8. Silly Times In a Metal Box

9. say hi to beelzebub, when you meet him, finally

11. Wind Chimes + Fake Humans

d2:

1. A Fast Clock

2. My Flesh Is Melting

3. Heavy Metal Nerd

4. Grating Noises

5. Mr Bojangles

6. Safari with the Natives (giant stealth lizards in the bush)

7. Coagulated Booby

8. Boring

9. No! Not the Bore Worms!

10. SpaceGravy DeathRay

11. Hack ya brain+ loop it through Jones

12. Synthetic Snakescales Throwback

The track discussed in this thread along with Cliffs, Rhubarb, Lichen, Grass, and Curtains (along with pretty much every other track on saw II) imho are more beautiful, dreamier and more meditative than anything ive ever heard by William Basinski, Global Communication, Brian Eno or any other ambient/electronic musician.

I really wish people would stop calling these tracks by these made up names... it's #19, not "stone in focus".

Giving these tracks names/descriptions only serve to limit their interpretation. That's why Richard didn't name them to begin with.

what about blue calx?

Lol at the track naming discussion.

Mr J, aren't you taking things too seriously, or do you just need an occasional platform to show us your knowledge? Even if RDJ is still hell bent about these tracks having no names, which i highly doubt, the fact of the matter is these track names are basically well known and commonly used at this point. Which kinda makes the entire discussion useless, imo.

Kinda like the autechre peelsession where the original tracknames were lost and John Peel decided to give his own versions. Thank god for the autechre boys for having the flexibility of not sticking to their holy tracknames. It's not like those tracks would sound completely different, right? And if the listener is free to make up his own mind, well apparently a majority decided to go with these unofficial names. Hurrah for democracy.

99 headaches? Stone in focus? Imo, it only adds to the backstory. And you could be that awesome fan who knows the entire backstory! A shining example of fanhood, and what not.

And I'm the stupid dork typing this response. Wont do it again, obv.

Beautiful boring, btw!

Archived