IGNORED

Analog Four teaser trailer

Guest SecondaryCell

Guest Chesney

Yep, I lost a lot of patterns/kits on the MD when I first accessed the plus drive to start another lot.

Just careless quick fingering ;)

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might as well be my little help thread for my idiotic questions for a while since I'm new to the A4.  This whole save/load thing..... 

Am i right in thinking that because a pattern is always linked to a kit, I cannot paste/load a pattern into an alternative kit?  For example, Kit A has 4 tracks/sounds, each with a pattern (we'll call them P1-4) so I have a nice little arrangement.  Kit B has 1 track/sound, with a pattern (P5).  I have Kit A running.  Is it possible to load that pattern P5 to replace one of the patterns - say P4 for example - that is running in Kit A without all of Kit B also being loaded (and therefore overwriting all of the sounds/patterns from Kit A)?

In theory what I would like to do is be able to use a melody from something else I have written on top of a current arrangement, at which point I can then change the sound so I have sort of a 're-work' element to the alternative melody.  From what I managed last night, I could copy patterns onto another track, then I could load in another sound no problem.  But I could only seem to copy a pattern from the kit that was loaded.

Does that make sense?

Nope, that's not possible on any Elektron machine, unfortunately. It'd certainly make transitions easier! I wonder if they'll ever implement anything like that..

You can load individual sounds for the different tracks, while the same pattern is running. Just double tap the track key on the right hand side.

Guest Chesney

Just copy the melody onto another pattern and save a B version of the kit and switch between the patterns.

Copying patterns and tracks are same shortcut only changed by the rec lit.

ya the whole pattern/kit/sound kaboozle is kinda complicated and non-intuitive - and it seems you have a few things slightly mixed up, which pretty much happens to everyone at the beginning ;D

a kit does not "have" patterns.

a project has 128 kits, and 128 patterns. A pattern is a collection of 6 tracks. A kit is a collection of 4 sounds + FX.

the only link between kits and patterns is: each pattern stores a number inside itself, which indicates a kit number in the project. If, in a given pattern, you load a kit, you just change that number. So when you switch to another pattern, it will also load the associated kit referred to by that number.

Personally I don't quite understand what you wanna do - if you rephrase in terms of the above structure, there's probably an easy solution..

Guest Chesney

I've done a good few let me think what I got to hear.

EDIT:

These two were from the same batches of jams on synced Machinedrum and A4. I remember making up a set kick/snare/hats on each so they'd battle against each other. Unless I go back into the patterns Couldn't tell you which hats are from which on the first one. Second one is def the open hat but didn't get past finishing mixing/finishing stage. It's great at hats and sounds to use in place of hats, many ways to get them too. 

Not really what you're after though.

The A4 is all over these though.

Had a good session last night, finally understand everything, as far as I can tell. I have read the manual so many times but I completely missed the bit where a pattern is actually all 6 tracks, I thought they were just 1 track. Duh. Anyway, it's actually pretty simple..... *he says until loses really important work*

• 1 month later...

Finally picked up one of these a couple weeks ago. One of the coolest works of engineering I've ever seen. So many usability improvements over the OT, still learning new tricks.

I currently have the two machines synced up to change patterns on the fly together. Using the A4 as the main place where I sketch out songs and melodies if I'm on the go, then I hook it up to the full setup with the octatrack and all my other synths and fx and flesh it out.

Sounds great too. Great drum machine, great synth. Love making acid lines. I need to get used to making sure to save kits.

• 2 years later...

On 10/21/2019 at 2:37 PM, kakapo said:

Heads up new os out with midi! out.  Looks fairly basic implementation, no cc sequencing, but still, nice to have.

This is so tempting but I seem to be one of the few people that actually has a reliable setup going with a4mkI and OB1 and I don’t wanna mess it up. 

Might try if I can find downloads of my current os and old ob... and downgrading is even possible after installing a new os on the a4. 

So I just picked up a second hand MK1 yesterday and I’ve only played with it for one and a half hours or so but what a fantastic acid box this is! Really impressed!

Well:

* it has a step sequencer

* it can do slides

* it allows you to easily set different parameters on every step

* it has tons of parameters 

And all of this four times.

Dunno, maybe once the novelty wears off I'll come to see things your way, but for now I'm smitten.

A4 is amazing. I had plenty of success making acid type sounds with my MK1. Some of that squelchiness is hard to achieve but you do have 2 filters per voice, otherwise I always found it a joy to make acid type sounds.

This one is basically 100% A4 jam session recorded directly into the computer with some minimal limiting.

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

Wow ... that’s amazing!

How did you do those rolls that come in at around 2:10?

Thanks! Lots of poly rotate, conditional trigs, and fill conditions.

Archived