IGNORED

Your favourite Viberts

usagi

I've been sinking my teeth well into Luke's stuff in the last month or so, really loving it (listening to Plug's DNB For Papa at work right now). his discography is massive, wide-ranging and excellent all round, but I've been spending the most time with Wagon Christ, those albums are so amazing. just lovely, cool, natural-sounding music full of joie de vivre and sprezzatura.

so:

1. what's your favourite Luke alias?

2. what's your favourite release per alias?

3. what's your overall favourite release?

mine:

1. Wagon Christ for sure, although I have yet to dig properly into Kerrier District and some of the other smaller ones

2. Luke Vibert - Yoseph. Wagon Christ - Toomorrow. Plug - DNB For Papa. can't speak for the rest.

3. hmmmmmmmmm... maybe Yoseph. not sure yet, really.

what about you?

(sry if similar threads have been created in the past, I did do a search and didn't find any)

1. Wagonchrist for sure.

2 Drum n bass for papa is one of my fav of his... But his wagonchrist output is my favorite.... it's an amazing mix of so many elements I just love. Musipal and Toomorrow, in particular, are my favorite albums of his.

3 Toomorrow I think.... It's hard to choose because he has so many. I like his output with Jean Jacques Perrey too... argh.

1. what's your favourite Luke alias?

2. what's your favourite release per alias?

3. what's your overall favourite release?

Kerrier District

Kerrier District

Kerrier District 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb51r1ihW7M&playnext=1&list=PL801580A6F9AD6E69&feature=results_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QysB4QDXjLE&playnext=1&list=PL801580A6F9AD6E69&feature=results_video

I couldn't pick one alias over another but I will say 'Throbbing Pouch' is underrated. It's a bit more jazzy and hip hop-ish than his other stuff but it still holds up.

[youtubehd]lU3XE_8RrQo[/youtubehd]

Reading this thread has sent me into a youtube spiral, listening to Vibert's stuff. Some standouts:

[youtubehd]hS6T5jlA5aI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]6MUahvgEDvY[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]x3uzFLPZJHM[/youtubehd]

I couldn't possibly choose. That would mean having to emliminate stuff. The first thing I heard was Plug's Drum 'n' Bass For Papa, this was back in 1997 ya'll. Thinking it was rad led me to tracking down a copy of Throbbing Pouch, not an easy task for a guy in Oklahoma back in 1997. Once I'd heard that, it was all over. I knew then I'd need to track down everything he'd ever done or would do, and I'm still riding that obsession.

I couldn't pick one alias over another but I will say 'Throbbing Pouch' is underrated. It's a bit more jazzy and hip hop-ish than his other stuff but it still holds up.

Reading this thread has sent me into a youtube spiral, listening to Vibert's stuff. Some standouts:

I think around the time of Big Soup and Throbbing pouch, Vibert was somehow involved with James Lavelle (likely leading to the release on Mo Wax), this may or may not be related to the notably different sound for the Big Soup/Throbbing Pouch era of Vibert's output (also has a kind of early DJ Shadow, jazzy hip hop vibe to it).

I will try and find the interview that links Lavelle and Vibert....

Edit: Not that any of that really matters. I just found it interesting.

I couldn't possibly choose. That would mean having to emliminate stuff. The first thing I heard was Plug's Drum 'n' Bass For Papa, this was back in 1997 ya'll. Thinking it was rad led me to tracking down a copy of Throbbing Pouch, not an easy task for a guy in Oklahoma back in 1997. Once I'd heard that, it was all over. I knew then I'd need to track down everything he'd ever done or would do, and I'm still riding that obsession.

kinda the same for me too. I love anything from 1995-1998 the most, whatever alias... he really was cranking out his highest quality shit in those years. Some other incredible stuff- yoseph, Kerrier District I and Toomorrow. I love all his shit, really. Get it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived