IGNORED

New Aphex Piano Track

BCM

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really nice how the song plays with your expectations on each collection of notes. I mean it's got quite an aura to it as well, but the brilliant thing is that it achieves it in such an understated way.

I think that the twin has definitely mellowed. I'm not one to comment really, being much younger than him, but I notice sometimes older artists seem to lose their fascination with the intricacy of form and think more about the final effect it achieves. What it signifies, rather than how. And with the depth of a life-long musician's experience the weight of meaning in even a few notes or sounds must become rather... unusual. Hence the Penderecki stuff and the tuned pendulum discoballs, which I'm sorry to say I don't fully appreciate at present. So I'd take this as evidence he's still making comprehensible music, even if it is at a far remove from the previous albums.

It certainly is sparse (I like it, mind you, but I can't help thinking as well that the piece pretty much ends where it begun). It's a SAW II track being played on a piano. But I don't know if a fuller, denser composition would work well on a piano being swung over a stage.

if dick's name wasn't on it and was made by some nobody at music uni none of you lot would listen to this for more than 10 seconds i reckon

if dick's name wasn't on it and was made by some nobody at music uni none of you lot would listen to this for more than 10 seconds i reckon

Yeah, well you obviously have no idea what you are talking about I reckon.

oh ok

as if your opinion is the be all end all and mine is valueless

pardon me for voicing mine on a completely subjective topic on a public music forum that is extremely opinionated and biased regarding rdj's work.

oh ok

as if your opinion is the be all end all and mine is valueless

pardon me for voicing mine on a completely subjective topic on a public music forum that is extremely opinionated and biased regarding rdj's work.

I'm really not trying to pick fights, but as if your comment wasn't annoyingly generalized, uninformed, and lacking depth. I'll break it down for you though.

Lush sounds. Giant swinging piano. Nice atmosphere. Simple structure. Super emotional. Not a DAW (like Limpy said).

I mean it isn't Claire de Lune but it is still a good track. If you have some college buddy that makes lush piano tracks I would probably be into that too. If he can incorporate performance art or some kind of installation I would be even more into it.

care to back this up? experiment: find some music not made by rdj that you feel is of the same caliber as this song, and ask the listener to try their best to remain objective (tough, but not too difficult given the right environment). I believe this has been stated ad nauseum as to why rdj releases under pseudonyms in the first place; the music should be able to stand on it's own merit.

Seriously though, i'd like to hear suggestions for other solo piano pieces that are as emotionally charged as this (and some of the drukqs pieces).

It's really nice how the song plays with your expectations on each collection of notes. I mean it's got quite an aura to it as well, but the brilliant thing is that it achieves it in such an understated way.

I think that the twin has definitely mellowed. I'm not one to comment really, being much younger than him, but I notice sometimes older artists seem to lose their fascination with the intricacy of form and think more about the final effect it achieves. What it signifies, rather than how. And with the depth of a life-long musician's experience the weight of meaning in even a few notes or sounds must become rather... unusual. Hence the Penderecki stuff and the tuned pendulum discoballs, which I'm sorry to say I don't fully appreciate at present. So I'd take this as evidence he's still making comprehensible music, even if it is at a far remove from the previous albums.

Great post.

bollocks, 'dicks' name was all over the first half of the concert and the reacton of the crowd wasn't great at all. So it wasn't at all biased

ok

i'll admit fault

i should not have undermined the collective tastes of wattm.

i'm sure plenty of you listen to jasionowski, satie,bartok,Schade, cage, Einaudi ,Hikaru,winston and of course cecil taylor …. all the time and own many of their cds/lps etc….and patronize their respective performances.

I think Richies piano compositions are lovely. I really don't understand why people have a problem with it, I'd love to see this live.

On a side note: I haven't heard a song that brings me to the place Nanou2 does. It's brought me to tears on more than one occasion, may be due to associated memory... but the simplicity, delicacy and emotion of that song (and most of his piano work IMO) is unmatched by any modern composer. Seems his new work (metz, manchester, slow avril, piano stuffs, ATP track) has more work put into the whole, it almost sounds orchestral the way he's using synths now as well. Metz may be IMO, the most perfected and honed track he has ever performed. The buildup with the flutes, wind chimes, growing beat and swirling/melting synths leading to a huge explosion of happy is amazing even thru a bad youtube video.

man, I'd love a new release :emotawesomepm9:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived