IGNORED

Autechre Live + Broadcasts + Interviews

Guest AlexPallas

Can someone tell me which is the opening track on the 2005 montreal set? Thanks

February 4th (extended outro), by Ace Boogie

PM if you want link

:rhubear3:

sick new avatar bubba

Agreed, I can't figure out where his mouth actually is.

• 2 weeks later...

I too think it's a great read - more open than Sean's, who couldn't even say what software was being used to mix other people's music on a radio show! :-/

But does anyone else not really understand much of what Rob said? Not in a bad way. Apart from when he's saying concrete things, like "we put loads of jams to tape", or whatever, it all seems very... ethereal and unfocused.

Mad.

Guest theSun

that's one of the things he was saying, they have a tough time putting their music into english.

it's hard for me to get anything concrete out of their interviews, but really when you are as deep into a project as b and b are into autechre you start speaking a separate language.

Some of my favourite ae moments ever are from live shows and never released... Makes me sad. At least the shows I'm referring to are in pretty much perfect quality (I can see why ae themselves prefer audience recordings but I want soundboards dammit!!)

The two ultimate classic ae live moments for me have to be 2005-04-15 Glasgow from 29m 15s and 2007-03-25 Pontins from 41m 30s. The later sounds like ae's answer to Dubstep, I'm a bit obsessed with that fuckin sinister synthline that comes in over the top and then the way they blend in those pychedelic drone things from WNSN over that. Thoroughly unnerving.

Been trying to find this Pontins 2007-03-25 gig, sounds good, would love to hear it, can anyone help out? Thanks!

Been trying to find this Pontins 2007-03-25 gig, sounds good, would love to hear it, can anyone help out? Thanks!

After some extensive web searching i managed to track it down!

:music:

Guest ruiagnelo

After some extensive web searching i managed to track it down!

:music:

Can you give me the link please?

But nowadays, kids have grown up with The X Factor and all that shit. So it's like gone full circle again, the club scene people running the show again. Kids thinking that they can sing and dance and make every single fucking genre of music, do you know what I mean? It's like taking away the personal element.

And kids are growing up now are thinking "I'm being really expressive, I'm really in control of my life, I've got all these goals and agendas". Whereas having that mindset is exactly the problem. The self-image is being programmed externally. But, fuck it, whatever

love this part, as someone who watched first hand the clubs take over and cheapen electronic music out here in the bayarea i wholeheartedly agree.

Guest Greg Reason
But nowadays, kids have grown up with The X Factor and all that shit. So it's like gone full circle again, the club scene people running the show again. Kids thinking that they can sing and dance and make every single fucking genre of music, do you know what I mean? It's like taking away the personal element.

And kids are growing up now are thinking "I'm being really expressive, I'm really in control of my life, I've got all these goals and agendas". Whereas having that mindset is exactly the problem. The self-image is being programmed externally. But, fuck it, whatever

love this part, as someone who watched first hand the clubs take over and cheapen electronic music out here in the bayarea i wholeheartedly agree.

Yeah I think that happened everywhere. It made Techno a legitimate thing rather than an underground phenomenon but my God... I don't know that it was worth the sacrifice of having to hear every hit of the seventies and eighties recycled into

nausea-inducing remixes. And that's without even going into the "originals" that people came out with.... :shuriken:

Guest failme

Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind comments that I've received over e-mail about the recent interview I did with Sean. Nice to see some people positive about such things. Gone are the days of long, three-page spreads and really in-depth interviews in print, but was glad to have got some of Sean's comments out there. A considered live review will be up soon on Fail and Kultureflash and whilst its difficult to distill what they they do live, I've certainly tried to get my perspective on it all. Certainly in comparison to gigs that Ive attended after the recent London date, it seems that Autechre are simultaneously doing something new within something that feels familiar.

Guest mafted

Booth on playing in America.. "In my experience, there’s been loads of open-minded people and then it’s been quite odd. ‘Cause I think our audiences out there have been quite mixed: there’ve been like a combination of intellectuals, really spaced out kids, and hip-hop types — you know, moody sort of party people. And it’s quite a weird sort of selection. It always gives me a weird impression of every city that we go to. Places that we’ve played that I’ve really liked basically been the obvious ones — Detroit, New York, Miami. And I dunno why. We did one in San Francisco, but it was at a shit club. I don’t think it was the right thing to do, really. I think that the next thing we do there hopefully will involve the Reflective [Records] people, ’cause we’re friends of theirs and they’re cool."

it's just funny to read that bc i have the exact experience at their D.C. shows. the one in '01 was completely sold out with people almost falling over the balconies. at the '05 show, my friend and i were seemingly the only ones 'in to it', kind of bobbing our heads in the front middle. people were giving us looks like, wtf.. you're getting off on this? '08 was better with a lot more older people, it seemed. sociology can be interesting.

Edited by mafted

Guest theSun

i'm one of the weird people that just stands and stares. it's how i enjoy music, occasionally i'll move but my mind is 100% devoted to observing the music and in my concentration i probably look braindead.

also i hate people. i hate sweaty drunkards dancing all over me even more, especially as i'm concentrating on something as important to me as music. if i could watch the show totally alone with a blunt that would be ideal.

Guest victorian sewer rituals

All it takes for a crowd to get into something as an entity is for a threshold percentage of people to decide to just go for it. It then spreads like a virus and before you know it it's the highest difficulty setting on dr. mario. It's kind of forced in that if enough people get active then it's hard for the people just standing there to just stand there. They have to move because they're being moved. Thats when it gets good.

Back on topic. krYlon. Next level composition. Still astounded. Dripping with beauty.

Edited by victorian sewer rituals

Guest theSun

All it takes for a crowd to get into something as an entity is for a threshold percentage of people to decide to just go for it. It then spreads like a virus and before you know it it's the highest difficulty setting on dr. mario. It's kind of forced in that if enough people get active then it's hard for the people just standing there to just stand there. They have to move because they're being moved. Thats when it gets good.

Back on topic. krYlon. Next level composition. Still astounded. Dripping with beauty.

sounds like you enjoy sweaty drunkards dancing all over you. this is not what ae is about to me, and would totally ruin my experience.