IGNORED

Forgotten IDM producers

Poimandres

and that other old planet mu guy, tim something..

...exile?

Probably Tim Tetlow...

Ah gotcha

Total bump..

but i just found that Tim Tetlow album in a dusty pile of old CDs, the first track is very nice and it lead me to wonder if he was still making music and I googled him and got:

http://ilsbda.bm/tim-tetlow.htm

Quite the career change.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess theres not much money in the IDMs..

But theres a lot of money in.. what ever the hell that is.

risk and capital management, investments... yeah way more money than the idmsmzmmzmzmz.

I really love his album off p.mu though. Seems like an interesting guy

A lot of the idm musicians mentioned in this thread didn't simply make floaty melodies on top of glitchy beats, they toiled over having a unique sound design palette that they could call their own. Another good example is Cylob, he carved his own path for so many years but imo never really got the attention he deserved.

Hwat? Undergroundists love his lobster style etc. output. As for further attention, Cylob was one of the FEW undegroundish totally geek ass mofoz to get any attention "from the mainstream". Remember Rewind? I belieeeve only Aphex Twin- in that tier of artist- got MTV music video airplay (well, and Mike P, but that was Virgin so natch...). It was a music video played worldwide on music TV, from Rephlex. That is fucking crazy as fuck, so despite him later focusing his efforts towards writing software that basically only he used (a true geek), he got thousands of times more attention than most underground geekoz would/will ever get, from a mere numbers perspective. Toootally fucking luckily. Insane, really. And then he released his ultimate Cut The Midrange Drop The Bass track, and nobody cared because it was too epic.

Aaaaanyway...

Forgotten artists.... Um, Lektrogirl?

As for nautilis, I posted this over at braindance, but some of you here might not've seen it... (real screenshot I took from facebook):

It was uh... pretty funny:

mu_nautilis-pissed.gif

yeah he needs to chill. He just made himself look like a huge douchebag asshole.

He's also way off base regarding his comment on staying power. More than boxcutter on p.mu with longevity.

Ceephax, Vibert, Bizzy B. Mike P himself.

yeah he needs to chill. He just made himself look like a huge douchebag asshole.

He's also way off base regarding his comment on staying power. More than boxcutter on p.mu with longevity.

Ceephax, Vibert, Bizzy B. Mike P himself.

There has to be some other bitterness from something not mentioned there: a delayed or cancelled release perhaps. I know Mike P has mentioned issues with artists over sales issues or disagreements over what to release and/or what format. There was a big shift too in artistic priorities once they began putting out dubstep and then footwork. Mike P has also mentioned trying to get and/or retain bigger artists (keeping Machinedrum or FaltyDL, having Actress release before he signed with 4AD, etc).

I've been talking more often to more local musicians at gigs and just about every single one of them has at least one story of a label they wouldn't work with again because they got fucked in royalties or some shady drama. I get the impression Skyler made a big musical change to something he founded more rewarding (and) livable. Shame it was on bad terms with Planet Mu.

I guess theres not much money in the IDMs..

But theres a lot of money in.. what ever the hell that is.

risk and capital management, investments... yeah way more money than the idmsmzmmzmzmz.

I really love his album off p.mu though. Seems like an interesting guy

Dam thats awesome (Tim Tetlow). Wonder if he's still got it in him. Should produce in his lunchbreak or something. I wonder how he found the time to become such an excellent producer and a successful businessman as well

Yeah that's really admirable that he didn't say, put out compromised music (cheesy EDM or something) and instead has had a successful career since 2002. I bet it's neat for his co-workers and peers to find out he put out music in the past.

It'd be great if he put out some archived stuff or things he's messed with over the years. Or retire early and crank out electronic albums.

A lot of the idm musicians mentioned in this thread didn't simply make floaty melodies on top of glitchy beats, they toiled over having a unique sound design palette that they could call their own. Another good example is Cylob, he carved his own path for so many years but imo never really got the attention he deserved.

Hwat? Undergroundists love his lobster style etc. output. As for further attention, Cylob was one of the FEW undegroundish totally geek ass mofoz to get any attention "from the mainstream". Remember Rewind? I belieeeve only Aphex Twin- in that tier of artist- got MTV music video airplay (well, and Mike P, but that was Virgin so natch...). It was a music video played worldwide on music TV, from Rephlex. That is fucking crazy as fuck, so despite him later focusing his efforts towards writing software that basically only he used (a true geek), he got thousands of times more attention than most underground geekoz would/will ever get, from a mere numbers perspective. Toootally fucking luckily. Insane, really. And then he released his ultimate Cut The Midrange Drop The Bass track, and nobody cared because it was too epic.

Aaaaanyway...

Forgotten artists.... Um, Lektrogirl?

As for nautilis, I posted this over at braindance, but some of you here might not've seen it... (real screenshot I took from facebook):

It was uh... pretty funny:

mu_nautilis-pissed.gif

LOL

Oh for fucks sake! I'm pissed off now too!

Nautilis stuff is solid gold. If the labels aren't willing to releases his new stuff he should go independent through Bancamp or do a kickstarter or whatever. I'd go on a mission to drum up support. I wonder how many other great artists got out of the game because of a total lack of interest from labels etc?

Oh for fucks sake! I'm pissed off now too!

Nautilis stuff is solid gold. If the labels aren't willing to releases his new stuff he should go independent through Bancamp or do a kickstarter or whatever. I'd go on a mission to drum up support. I wonder how many other great artists got out of the game because of a total lack of interest from labels etc?

It seems fairly common. It's a bit of a weak move though. If you can't live off your music, who gives a fuck? Just fucking keep making it and chuck it on bandcamp every now and then for a few bucks.

Old Nautilis was great but maybe it sounds different now? The traq on the Six Records comp has always seemed a little waq to me.

By the way, did that FB exchange happen recently? If so, it’s definitely the most IDM thing I have experienced in 2014 so far. Someone make a note for the bracket this year!

Old Nautilis was great but maybe it sounds different now? The traq on the Six Records comp has always seemed a little waq to me.

By the way, did that FB exchange happen recently? If so, it’s definitely the most IDM thing I have experienced in 2014 so far. Someone make a note for the bracket this year!

Was from August 2011, if the file mod date is correct..... Shortly after, Mike P de-friended me, cuz I was a bit too IDM for his taste. *psh*

Was from August 2011, if the file mod date is correct..... Shortly after, Mike P de-friended me, cuz I was a bit too IDM for his taste. *psh*

are you skylar?

Archived