IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

that horn stab is pretty sweet -- if it wasn't so sharp, you could call it 'lush.' but you can't.

LCC is the shit, too. Unlike the first track on Oversteps, it has both a lush melody and a good beat. I know ae are masters at making their hits precisely off-beat, but I just can't hear track #1's drumbeat as anything but a mistake, or sloppy. It just doesn't have the same kind of ... drumlush ... to it. I do like the pads, though.

I love that 1457 or whatever track -- it's like Skull Snap donkeypunched Oversteps. (not condoning donkeypunching btw, unless it's a mixed drink from Guy Fieri's Foodtown USA restaurant)

Love the album, still not 'getting' the 2nd half though.

Track 1-4 are killer tracks. Yet everyone digs Sublimit and I'm always like ... 's alright, I guess?!

Also huge props for getting these tracks out of an almost entirely hardware execution.

agreed. i think it's really obvious and impressive on tracks like Sublimit and Augmatic Disport that this is very much a hardware based album. there's something about the contrast of sounds and tones between sections within the songs and sometimes even at once that sounds to my ear like hardware. i love it. something about it isn't as hyper-processed as something like Confield (in all it's glory!) is. Untilted is somehow more raw.

Was listening to this last friday on a long, cold, drunken journey home. 1st 3 tracks are still amongst the best things they've ever done. It's not quite their best ever album, drops a bit and loses energy around fermium, but there's some of their strongest ever tracks on it.

Strangely, my old flatmate was borderline obsessed with sublimit, without having any interest in a single other autechre track. I'd try and get him into other ae tracks with no luck at all, he just wasn't interested, but he'd listen to sublimit over and over again.

My first experience with Autechre was hearing this shortly after it was released. As such, it still has much sentimental value. And how could I not mention how unbelievably rad the Glasgow Arts School 2005 set was.

Untilted was my first AE album purchase as well. Majorly sentimental... About a week after getting the album I saw AE live in Vancouver and was in no way ready; it was a sound that was well beyond my comprehension at that point and ultimately a waste of an experience. I didn't 'get' Untilted until about a month afterward, and after that it became quite an obsession...

By the time AE came back to Vancouver for the Quaristice tour I had digested their entire catalog and was more than ready! Amazing show!

Wow, this topic has got me listening to Untilted for the first time in a long while... It's blowing my mind all over again.

Edit: What the hell is the time signature at the beginning of Augmatic Disport?!

Edited by Goiter Sanchez

Wow, this topic has got me listening to Untilted for the first time in a long while... It's blowing my mind all over again.

Edit: What the hell is the time signature at the beginning of Augmatic Disport?!

4/4

4/4

It ends up in 4/4, but it doesn't sound like it starts out in it...

4/4

It's 4/4 but there's just some crazy syncopation going on.. typical Autechre!

4/4

Is there ever... For an album of such rhythmic mayhem most of it is in 4/4.

4/4

Is there ever... For an autechre of such rhythmic mayhem most of it is in 4/4.

Put me in the camp of folks not entirely won over by Sublimit. It seems to meander around aimlessly - but then ends great. Whereas Surripere starts great and ends aimless. Both those tracks get a lot of praise and I just don't see/feel it. Diff'rent strokes and all...

Untilted is "okay". Live stuff stomps and pisses all over the album tho.

It took me a switch to better headphones and speakers to appreciate it. Back when it came out I had some cheap headphones and the album sounded pretty hard and compressed, but the beginnings of the associations for the album were still there. After I got my sennheiser hd headphones, it changed not just Untilted, but a lot of other music (everything was suddenly super lush and beautiful). With untilted though, as with Oversteps, I find it best when I'm a little tired, and can almost fall asleep listening to it, because it seems to allow my brain to open up associations more vividly. Untilted is like all futuristic and very specific colors and scenes (cover is really perfect btw), and Fermium especially has it, which is one of the reasons I rank it high of all the tracks.

I also appreciate the intricate rhythms and sounds and small changes throughout the tracks, so there's two basic layers - associations / images and sound / arrangement / rhythm although it's not really that rigid of a distinction.

Edited by coax

fermium is my least favorite and I blame it, at least in part, to it playing immediately upon going to warps website back then. of course I would obsessively check the site for updates and every single time I went, the beginning of fermium started and it was so grating and annoying to me.

I'm also in the camp of sublimit being so so to me. it's not in my top 5 tracks of that album

I personally can't say that Surripere is better or that Sublimit is better, because to me they're totally different kind of tracks.

I really like how Surripere is kind of off beat and I love its sound design and the track's emptiness, I mean, there's not much in it. But Sublimit is still very awesome because it's so full of different sounds and how it's divided into several parts.

Also, this thread makes me wanna listen to Untilted and gave me a new idea for the track I'm currently working on.