IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

The entire sequence of tracks is perfect from beginning to end minus Fermium in my opinion...

I feel the same about Confield-- perfect flow until Eidetic Casein kind of disrupts it.

I really enjoy both tracks by themselves, but they just seem out of place.

Love this album though and I'm glad Exai brought back some of the progressive ae that I missed.

Guest pixelives

I've been on a major deadline this past week and have been going through the whole discography from start to finish (good for computer work) and I got to Untilted, and wow, it's pretty balls to the wall funked out. There's no moody bits and actually pretty straightforward and super funky in a half timey way (you can either swing with it in half time or be a spaz). I'm sure none of us thought that at the time of release, but in hindsight is is one of the most direct and hard-hitting beat related releases. Maybe this has something to do with the Elektron stuff coming into play for the first time on this release.

I've been listening to it since it came out, but somehow it opened up a lot this time around.

Now when I listen there is a very limited sound palette throughout the release but it works really well and anyone who knows Elektron gear can see what they're doing, but in 05 it was a revelation.

I've been on a major deadline this past week and have been going through the whole discography from start to finish (good for computer work) and I got to Untilted, and wow, it's pretty balls to the wall funked out. There's no moody bits and actually pretty straightforward and super funky in a half timey way (you can either swing with it in half time or be a spaz). I'm sure none of us thought that at the time of release, but in hindsight is is one of the most direct and hard-hitting beat related releases. Maybe this has something to do with the Elektron stuff coming into play for the first time on this release.

I've been listening to it since it came out, but somehow it opened up a lot this time around.

Now when I listen there is a very limited sound palette throughout the release but it works really well and anyone who knows Elektron gear can see what they're doing, but in 05 it was a revelation.

There are moody bits, though!

That submerged ending groove in sublimit with the little x-files theme-pitch shifty-unresolved-barely audible melody. The second half of LCC, too. Good bookends to the madness.

Edited by baph

I like the way in Sublimit there's that beepy sound half way in, which sounds like a sample of an 80's Volvo if you left a door not fully closed.

I like the way in Sublimit there's that beepy sound half way in, which sounds like a sample of an 80's Volvo if you left a door not fully closed.

Love that part!

Same man, the whole track is amazing! I just realized my post sounds sarcastic, haha

Guest Ron Manager

i get this. took me a long while to really get into Untilted, but fuck me, i love this album these days. i'm fortunate to own it on vinyl, which i'm listening to for the first time in quite a while at the moment, having just got my turntable/hi-fi set up again. looking at Untilted in the long view, yeah, this album is all about the beats. it's total head-nodder for me.

• 1 year later...

I think it is what it is. In essence, a basic play on the use of word "untitled". I always attached a sort of "still relentless, stiff, uncompromised" meaning to it, but it could be my limited english vocabulary. There's typically some technicality to their titles though, so you can subtract whatever implication you feel sure about.

I always attached a sort of "still relentless, stiff, uncompromised" meaning to it, but it could be my limited english vocabulary.

I like this notion. Your English is unhindered.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember listening to lcc for the first time and following that hypnotic beat every single subtle change not knowing what to expect and then 2:35 comes in, this hell of a trip. I mentally keep the opening beat under the chaos that follows - before the beauty that follows it. Just magic that! Also I find the album art rather 'untilted' very vertical.

Edited by sine nomine

• 1 year later...

Untilted unused designs by Alex Rutterford

autechre_untilted_designs2.jpg

autechre_untilted_designs1.jpg

Also it is still my favorite Autechre album.

Now this I would buy merchandise of. T shirts, mugs, post cards, underwear, whaddevva. Looks so fuckin good.

its honestly p depressing that they didn't just make another "beat" album. but oversteps is cool so n worries

It's honestly pretty depressing they stopped having Alex Rutterford do their album art Edited by fizzkinz

Nice one with those alternate Untilted covers, love them.

Confield to Draft to Untilted is as perfect as you're likely to get from successive albums. Phenomenal progression of sound without a single weak track. Untilted might have the most replay value out of any Ae release, so many details to appreciate, though I can understand why some folk would find it a little dry.

Part of me would like Ae to go back to their super dense, programmed to the most minute detail style. Tracks that intricately unfold and morph over their runtime. It's a sound they left behind after Untilted, no doubt mainly down to not living near each other and being able to produce in the same studio after one of them moved back up north. Still putting out top material though, so no great shakes.

beats 10/10

elektrons 5/10

production 2/10

i remember this album was a bit of a letdown after draft for me. with a bit more lively sound design and lusher / louder pads it'd be top tier but the way it is it's comparatively low on my list. sometimes i got tracks stuck in my head and listen to the record to realize it actually sounds better in my head than on record, which is the exact opposite with pretty much every other autechre release. the artwork is pretty cool, the colors appropriately match the atmosphere of the music. fermium is the worst autechre track to appear on an album.

i still love it, but i'm much happier with where they're now (AE_LIVE, elsew, liveonesix).