Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Untilted

Autechre Untilted

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#201 AJW

AJW

visianacy sarsheequinice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts
  • 32 topics
  • Joined 15-September 09

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

I've always wanted to listen to pro radii in a pitch black padded room that maybe rotates and turns slowly, maybe you put on a padded bubble suit and step inside with others and bounce off each other as you listen to the track.

Haha yes! Could be part of an Autechre theme park

#202 Lexicon

Lexicon

• Supporting Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 30-January 14

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

I've always wanted to listen to pro radii in a pitch black padded room that maybe rotates and turns slowly, maybe you put on a padded bubble suit and step inside with others and bounce off each other as you listen to the track.

Haha yes! Could be part of an Autechre theme park

They should set this up in the middle of Dollywood. Now that would be a trip. "Mommy, that ride had nothing to do with Dolly or country music, but it was soo much fun!"

#203 barbara planar

barbara planar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 13-February 06

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

maybe it's my stereo setup, but this album sounds fucking great at high volume--so dry and full, it's massive-sounding without hurting the ears. anybody get a similar impression?

#204 Overand

Overand

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • 17 topics
  • Joined 04-May 08

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:51 PM

Been on a bit of an AE binge lately and while this isn't my favorite album of theirs I do find it to be one of their most consistent in terms of overall track quality throughout the album. It's also (IMO) the last album they made that doesn't feel like there's either a lot of fat and excess or a distinct highlight v filler discrepancy, especially considering the sheer volume of material that would accompany each release period after Untilted. 

Pro Radii is one of the first tracks of theirs I remember hearing when I discovered them around 2006 along with Doctrine and Clipper  and thinking "Who the fuck are these people?" Always been impressed with how massive that track can sound without peaking or warping the speakers.

Edited by Overand, 01 February 2017 - 11:52 PM.

#205 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,176 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

wow! how did you know about this track? 

#206 mokz

mokz

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts
  • 36 topics
  • Joined 08-August 11
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/omzk
  • 3DS Friend Code:3351-4161-1506

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

So, lol, they cut this to samples and created a new track out of that?

#207 wredny

wredny

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • 9 topics
  • Joined 22-September 14

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:30 AM

LCC - what a massive track! Today, finally, it clicked for me. It sounds so distant and alien, but at the same time, the progression feels supernatural. GRAET!

#208 Suffocate Peon

Suffocate Peon

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts
  • 9 topics
  • Joined 23-July 09

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

I love this album, and not that I've listened to enough other electronic music to say this but..it has a particular use of repetition that I've not heard elsewhere. It's this hermetically sealed thorough workout where each segment of a track persists to the point you anticipate the transition so that when it occurs its doubly satisfying. The sound is so dry, so meticulous. I never really took to Sublimit like others until the aquatic bit at the end changed my mind, i think by that point of the album I'm sort of done. I like that the album is 8 tracks though, with every track being distinctive after just a few listens. It's one of the best sequenced electronic albums I've heard, and I think Chiastic Slide onwards they were brilliant at that, i think it's just the increasing variation in their sound and maybe they were more conscious of it. Maybe not.

I first listened to this album through earphones while taking my dogs for a walk. Really the worst way to listen to it. I don't think it's an earphones album, but others might disagree.

and pro radii is beyond anyone anything, without the use of drugs I've really flipped out listening to this track, it's so extraordinary in my mind it eclipsed everything, so i try not to listen to it anymore unless I can do it at ear splitting volume. It contributed to the death of my cd player, and all other listening devices I've had since have been lacking. It just submerges you deep into an alien ocean and drags you around, it's so transformative it's probably beyond being demystified, but i don't want to think of it in terms of the software/hardware used to create it. It justifies any time i might push autechre on to people, because i want them to listen to this track in pitch darkness very loud and think it's the greatest art ever created, be in total awe of it, be absorbed by the all consuming sensation of it. My favourite line in cinema is ''Even sex is a mystical experience for you. I feel like I'm being harpooned by some raging monk in the act of receiving God'.

It's like that. It's so special. Nothing has had such an impact on me.

#209 Roo

Roo

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • Interests:Life

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

Great post, captures why I fell in love with it in the first place. During my first phase of Untilted adoration, it was the most spatially dynamic car music I could think of, like strapping yourself to a rollercoaster. Totally a vehicular listen, inimitable in that regard. If you were on a long commute or sunday drive by yourself, nothing better than turning on the ignition and pressing play.

#210 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,718 posts
  • 243 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

yea, awesome post sp. i was so obsessed with untilted when it came out but it took me weeks to even get to iera. I couldn't stop from starting over after augmatic disport. it took me even longer to get to sublimit. that's it's own beast. just massive. it's the perfect ae album to me, the mix of hip hop fuckery, the narrative, the pacing, the way they were almost backwards. it was like an hour of surripere in reverse at first. it's still my fav ae by a long shot. i just still skip fermium a lot because of how annoyed i was by warp.com at the time just playing that over and over. then the live sets started trickling out and say what you want about elusive, but he gave me so many of those sets back in the day and my head just exploded over and over. cheers for resurrecting this. blasting it hard now with a fire and a glass of red in my old man rocking chair.

Edited by jules, 10 February 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#211 autechrist

autechrist

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 29-January 10
  • Interests:Audigga

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:09 AM

Excellent post, suffocate peon ! You put words where i can just feel and appreciate. Bravo
You’re right about the headphones and the dog walk, but if you try it at home on vinyl, a little hammered, like, when everyone is sleeping and you’re the only one up and you have a little cocaine or caffeine, hmmm, it slashes your ears because it’s so dry but the vinyl sounds crunchy and loud, fantastic sounds, so good

Sorry to be such a drug addict but Untilted is pure cocaine for me.
I was addicted to cc when Untilted came out, that surely helps my pov, lol

#212 goDel

goDel

ɐqʎǝx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,943 posts
  • 31 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:20 AM

https://youtu.be/_Zmq-6oqfz8

Sounds like a remix to me! Not an attempt to put shade on ae, btw. Hearing this actually made me appreciate the track even more!

Nice find!

#213 mokz

mokz

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts
  • 36 topics
  • Joined 08-August 11
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/omzk
  • 3DS Friend Code:3351-4161-1506

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like a remix to me! Not an attempt to put shade on ae, btw. Hearing this actually made me appreciate the track even more!

Nice find!

To me it's more than a remix, it's a completely new track just using one source. Anyway, now thinking that isn't this the case for a lot of the Gescom music since ISS:SA? Like Megamix definitely sounds like it could have all been sampled from one source.

#214 whylessness

whylessness

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 23-February 11

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:20 AM

the last two minutes of pro radii :catrecline:

#215 autechrist

autechrist

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 29-January 10

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

I never skip fermium
It is part of the untilted flow imo
transition with the trees is good too

#216 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts
  • 82 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08
  • Interests:Being smooth

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

who the fuck skips fermium?

#217 Blank

Blank

Best Mom of the Year

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts
  • 56 topics
  • Joined 08-August 14

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

who the fuck skips fermium?

+1

Why anyone would wanna skip that metallic freakout in the middle as well is beyond me, shit is ballin  :blink:

#218 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

Yeah I don't see any point in skipping Fermium, it's probably one of the 3 best tracks on there. Also agree that it's not a headphones album, I always enjoyed it the most when driving during the warmer months.

#219 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,176 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

When in car therez 90% chance that im listening to untilted, 5% exai, 4% other ae, 1% other other

#220 autechrist

autechrist

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 29-January 10

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

I thought waetmmers didn’t like fermium so much... well, i was wrong then, happy to know that !

#221 qnio

qnio

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
  • 77 topics
  • Joined 24-May 07

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

sublimit @ 13:32--15:52 *cums*

#222 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

I thought waetmmers didn’t like fermium so much... well, i was wrong then, happy to know that !

I appreciate all stylish deployment of screeching FM.

#223 Marked x 0ne

Marked x 0ne

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • 23 topics
  • Joined 13-February 09

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

I didnt think I liked Fermium that much, but just listened back and its totally baller.  Also agree with above that Untitled is the go-to car album.  Sounds wicked cranked loud on a car stereo.  Unfortuantely I havent owned a car in years so no longer have the capability to go full Untilted

#224 seaburn

seaburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 30-October 17
  • SoundCloud URL:www.soundcloud.com/seaburn-1
  • Interests:late night audio transmissions

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:26 PM

yea, awesome post sp. i was so obsessed with untilted when it came out but it took me weeks to even get to iera. I couldn't stop from starting over after augmatic disport. it took me even longer to get to sublimit. that's it's own beast. just massive. it's the perfect ae album to me, the mix of hip hop fuckery, the narrative, the pacing, the way they were almost backwards. it was like an hour of surripere in reverse at first. it's still my fav ae by a long shot. i just still skip fermium a lot because of how annoyed i was by warp.com at the time just playing that over and over. then the live sets started trickling out and say what you want about elusive, but he gave me so many of those sets back in the day and my head just exploded over and over. cheers for resurrecting this. blasting it hard now with a fire and a glass of red in my old man rocking chair.

Long-time lurker first-time poster here, what other HQ live sets from this era exist apart from Glasgow? I'd be dying to get links to them. =)

#225 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,718 posts
  • 243 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

hemsby and montreal. I can upload them for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Autechre, Untilted