IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

2 hours ago, xox said:

Untilted is the shit in every possible way!

Fakt

definitely my most listened-to of their albums. augmatic still sounds unreal. and sublimit is a fucking triumph. great album. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pro Radii is the most accessible track on the ears for me. (Complex shit is hard to click with me fully because I’m dumb lolol) I enjoy it greatly but man I hope all of it grows on me since those last 5 minutes kick tons of ass. First half is neat but it’s not the second half. Whole track makes me think of Exai’s style in a way. 

This is definitely an album I have to constantly relisten to and see if it grows on me. I know LCC did a little bit (went from a 7 to 8/10 for me). Sublimit is my favorite track (went from an 8 to a 9/10) Everything else I’m still feeling a 7-8 on. 

Also I too love Untilted, Confield and Draft’s covers.

Edited by President Squidward

The run of music (of course including the unmissable gig at the Glasgow Art School) from Confield through and including Quaristice (and all the accompanying EPs, as well as Quaristice Versions, not to mention those live sets) is one of the most amazing things in all of music and was topped/equaled* only because Sean and Rob are unfuckwithable sonic wizard maestros of the highest order. With almost any other artist, band, or group, this would be their best work hands down.

*The run from L-event and Exai through and including NTS Sessions 1-4, is truly ineffably gorgeous and alien.

Edited by draft
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

from the Ipacial Section thread

On 12/28/2008 at 4:58 PM, Salvatorin said:

SHIT I just realized LCC stands for Launch Control Center, it makes so much sense.

i was looking at a missle silo place that referred to the LCC and i was like 'oh shit!' and was gonna come tell about it but decided to search first and apparently Salv figured this out over a decade ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first association tends to be the Library of Congress Classification (LCC). Seems too well known to be an intentional acronym, but hey, "the trees". Plus the following 2 tracks (section, radii) maintain that spatial theme of navigable, all-knowing, machine-readable sequenced movement.

But then fermium, disport, sublimit,  the above, etc. can easily be linked more specifically to some sort of missile's explosive reaction.

Subtle concept album in there.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1
  • Burger 1

I still believe that LCC refers to the lando calrissian’s costume! Afaik they’re star wars fans, right?

spacer.png

Edited by xox
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mcbpete said:

LCC is actually a remix of Lentic CataChresis

gonna have to compare both now that you planted this seed in my head despite knowing you’re just fuckin around. bastard.

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, Suffocate Peon said:

I'd like the human race to eventually evolve to a place where we can program AI to make music in the vein of Untilted.

Will never sorry

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/24/2019 at 6:15 PM, auxien said:

According to this gear list they've got two Simmons machines they've used. One is a mixer (midi controlled mixer with patch saving? pretty cool device probably!) but of course the more likely is the Simmons SDE, a 4-voice FM drum expansion ....something? Can't find much info on it exactly. Given that it's FM and both of those tracks have a bit of that flavor to them I'm thinking that might be it. Read someone on Gearslutz saying the SDE was a bitch and a half to program, hence maybe them being a bit coy about it? Could be totally off, can't seem to find any audio samples of the SDE to compare to what we're hearing in the tracks, but they sound FM to my ears.

Thing I can't even figure out is what the SDE 'expansion' went with even, since there's seemingly a fair amount going on in both tracks. Also maybe 'simmm' clue in the name is a little too on the nose with Simmons? idk

Sean, Rob?

A H E M ...someone? anyone? there's probably also some hint maybe in the way the last couple minutes of Fermium the percussion popping in and out is basically the same groove but pitched up/down/with different sound instruments. idk

also:

there's some s u p e r low bass swells in just about 3:30 in Pro Radii, just for like 4 bars. they do a sorta swell-then-dip-dwon-then-swell-up and i'm pretty sure they dip down below what my sub could reproduce (not dissimilar to the bass in the last few minutes of AD but a lot faster and deeper i'm p sure).

the melodies/chords that start up about 4:30ish and go through til 8:00ish in Augmatic are just too fucking gorgeous. could've been a track on its own i'm sure.

kinda curious where the unedited version of Iera goes after the end. it seems pretty obvious they truncated it, that last 5 seconds with that sorta lame reverse-sound-then-cut-out

love in The Trees from like 5:50 to the end where it's super super lo-fi digital sounding. wonder what they're doing to get that sound there. lovely in how super digital it is tho

I have a weird obsession with Fermium at half speed/pitch.

There was also an unofficial music vid for it back in like 2007 which started with these two chicks hanging out on the beach - one of them being the director. Too goofy I thought. Would have preferred something that more accurately represented radioactive decay.

(File this under pointless thoughts thread)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ambermonke said:

There was also an unofficial music vid for it back in like 2007 which started with these two chicks hanging out on the beach - one of them being the director. Too goofy I thought. Would have preferred something that more accurately represented radioactive decay.

I remember that, didn't realise a few years later that it was a reference to the film Daisies (well either that, or the director hoped no-one had heard of the film before and tried their luck!)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mcbpete said:

I remember that, didn't realise a few years later that it was a reference to the film Daisies (well either that, or the director hoped no-one had heard of the film before and tried their luck!)

Czech surrealism is a world unto itself, however, why this Nancy Mitchell felt the need to clumsily follow Věra Chytilová and to do it with fermium is something that will remain closed to human understanding