Sign in to follow this  
Redruth

Untilted

17 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

IT'S BECAUSE YOU TOUCH YOURSELF AT NIGHT

from now on instead of sinning i will instead post about Untilted. expect this thread to get much longer very quickly. :dadjoke:

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, auxien said:

the two different font sizes used for "Autechre Untilted" all over the artwork has always bugged me. looks fucking stupid and annoying. love the art otherwise (and the alternate art that Rutterford has posted is cool

Agreed, definitely the weakest typographically. The artwork otherwise is superb and really suits the music

21 hours ago, auxien said:
Edited by BUNKUM
Repeats of repeating

IMHO the Rutterford cover designs are the weakest. No originality at all.

What! The Draft 7.30 artwork is a masterpiece. The post-Exai tDR stuff pales in comparison imo (and I'm a tDR fanboy).

Also, the Untilted typography works for me, the cap height of the smaller type matches the x height of the larger type. 

• Like 4

if you lick the paint on the untilted cd before you play it, you'r gonna trip balls an hour an a half

• Burger 2

1 hour ago, modey said:

The Draft 7.30 artwork is a masterpiece.

It's easy on the eyes in itself fo sho but doesn't really fit the mood of the record imo.

Terms springing to mind looking at the artwork: Bright, exalted, expansive, angelic.

Music: Dark, dense, intimate, claustrophobic even.

Dunno. Those greens are OK tho. Tape version = best version?

Untilted is spot on.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:14 PM, Chabraendeky said:

No originality at all.

image.jpeg.e8685b80dd3ced37dbefedfa7f0e8d0c.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

It's easy on the eyes in itself fo sho but doesn't really fit the mood of the record imo.

Terms springing to mind looking at the artwork: Bright, exalted, expansive, angelic.

Music: Dark, dense, intimate, claustrophobic even.

Dunno. Those greens are OK tho. Tape version = best version?

Untilted is spot on.

image.jpeg.e8685b80dd3ced37dbefedfa7f0e8d0c.jpeg

Yes, Oversteps reminds on Malevitch or on japanese kalligraphy. But not on other Ae covers.

• Like 1

It's kind of funny that their only really good album cover is the one they made themselves.  Why are they even hiring designers ?

11 hours ago, drillkicker said:

It's kind of funny that their only really good album cover is the one they made themselves.  Why are they even hiring designers ?

I think some of the tDR covers are great too. Tri Repetae, Chiastic Clide, LP5, Exai are great. Hell, I even like the covers of Quaristice and Oversteps covers a lot!

I think the only other cover that's on par with Confield is Cichlisuite.  Exai has a nice palette but it doesn't hold up to those other two.  Chiastic Slide just looks like an abstract map of New Zealand to me.

Confield, Draft, and Untilted are particularly special to me, and this extends to album art as well.

• Like 3

Untilted is the shit in every possible way!

Fakt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xox said:

Untilted is the shit in every possible way!

Fakt

definitely my most listened-to of their albums. augmatic still sounds unreal. and sublimit is a fucking triumph. great album. 

• Like 3

Finally framed this one...

20191122_131547.jpg

• Like 5

Pro Radii is the most accessible track on the ears for me. (Complex shit is hard to click with me fully because I’m dumb lolol) I enjoy it greatly but man I hope all of it grows on me since those last 5 minutes kick tons of ass. First half is neat but it’s not the second half. Whole track makes me think of Exai’s style in a way. 

This is definitely an album I have to constantly relisten to and see if it grows on me. I know LCC did a little bit (went from a 7 to 8/10 for me). Sublimit is my favorite track (went from an 8 to a 9/10) Everything else I’m still feeling a 7-8 on. 

Also I too love Untilted, Confield and Draft’s covers.

Edited by President Squidward

The last 3 tracks are the triple jump of untilted... jump to sublime or transcend

The run of music (of course including the unmissable gig at the Glasgow Art School) from Confield through and including Quaristice (and all the accompanying EPs, as well as Quaristice Versions, not to mention those live sets) is one of the most amazing things in all of music and was topped/equaled* only because Sean and Rob are unfuckwithable sonic wizard maestros of the highest order. With almost any other artist, band, or group, this would be their best work hands down.

*The run from L-event and Exai through and including NTS Sessions 1-4, is truly ineffably gorgeous and alien.

Edited by draft
  • Like 3