Untilted

Redruth

3 hours ago, mcbpete said:

LCC is actually a remix of Lentic CataChresis

gonna have to compare both now that you planted this seed in my head despite knowing you’re just fuckin around. bastard.

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, Suffocate Peon said:

I'd like the human race to eventually evolve to a place where we can program AI to make music in the vein of Untilted.

Will never sorry

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/24/2019 at 6:15 PM, auxien said:

According to this gear list they've got two Simmons machines they've used. One is a mixer (midi controlled mixer with patch saving? pretty cool device probably!) but of course the more likely is the Simmons SDE, a 4-voice FM drum expansion ....something? Can't find much info on it exactly. Given that it's FM and both of those tracks have a bit of that flavor to them I'm thinking that might be it. Read someone on Gearslutz saying the SDE was a bitch and a half to program, hence maybe them being a bit coy about it? Could be totally off, can't seem to find any audio samples of the SDE to compare to what we're hearing in the tracks, but they sound FM to my ears.

Thing I can't even figure out is what the SDE 'expansion' went with even, since there's seemingly a fair amount going on in both tracks. Also maybe 'simmm' clue in the name is a little too on the nose with Simmons? idk

Sean, Rob?

A H E M ...someone? anyone? there's probably also some hint maybe in the way the last couple minutes of Fermium the percussion popping in and out is basically the same groove but pitched up/down/with different sound instruments. idk

also:

there's some s u p e r low bass swells in just about 3:30 in Pro Radii, just for like 4 bars. they do a sorta swell-then-dip-dwon-then-swell-up and i'm pretty sure they dip down below what my sub could reproduce (not dissimilar to the bass in the last few minutes of AD but a lot faster and deeper i'm p sure).

the melodies/chords that start up about 4:30ish and go through til 8:00ish in Augmatic are just too fucking gorgeous. could've been a track on its own i'm sure.

kinda curious where the unedited version of Iera goes after the end. it seems pretty obvious they truncated it, that last 5 seconds with that sorta lame reverse-sound-then-cut-out

love in The Trees from like 5:50 to the end where it's super super lo-fi digital sounding. wonder what they're doing to get that sound there. lovely in how super digital it is tho

I have a weird obsession with Fermium at half speed/pitch.

There was also an unofficial music vid for it back in like 2007 which started with these two chicks hanging out on the beach - one of them being the director. Too goofy I thought. Would have preferred something that more accurately represented radioactive decay.

(File this under pointless thoughts thread)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ambermonke said:

There was also an unofficial music vid for it back in like 2007 which started with these two chicks hanging out on the beach - one of them being the director. Too goofy I thought. Would have preferred something that more accurately represented radioactive decay.

I remember that, didn't realise a few years later that it was a reference to the film Daisies (well either that, or the director hoped no-one had heard of the film before and tried their luck!)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mcbpete said:

I remember that, didn't realise a few years later that it was a reference to the film Daisies (well either that, or the director hoped no-one had heard of the film before and tried their luck!)

Czech surrealism is a world unto itself, however, why this Nancy Mitchell felt the need to clumsily follow Věra Chytilová and to do it with fermium is something that will remain closed to human understanding

15 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

From the age of them do you think it was just a university project that somehow made it to the internetwork ?

I realize now that one of the girls is also the author ... well, the result is what it is, but fine that she has gone to mix two worlds so distant. Staying on pindaric combinations, I found this, which is quite suggestive:

• 3 months later...

Some of this album coheres rather well but not every song with every adjacent song imo. I think that Fermium should have been removed from the album and released a single, leaving Untitled to have a run time of 1:04:12. Here's an alternate track order for all y'all:

1. LCC
2. The Trees
3. Augmatic Disport
4. Ipacial Section
5. Iera
6. Pro Radii
7. Sublimit

(Although the lads are of course a legendary class act in their live performances, the snippet of the Zurich set from 2001 is really out of place and so very very not soundboard quality. To my mind this is at least one instance of a Japanese bonus track detracting from the album.)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, splesh said:

Some of this album coheres rather well but not every song with every adjacent song imo. I think that Fermium should have been removed from the album and released a single, leaving Untitled to have a run time of 1:04:12. Here's an alternate track order for all y'all:

1. LCC
2. The Trees
3. Augmatic Disport
4. Ipacial Section
5. Iera
6. Pro Radii
7. Sublimit

hm, not sure about Fermium on its own, feels naked like that. but it is a little bit of an odd one out on the album perhaps, so i see the case there. 

random thoughts listening to this tracklisting:

• LCC as opener and Sublimit as closer is necessary, good work on not trying to fuck with that
  • not sure about The Trees as track 2, feels a little too close in shape to LCC
  • Ipacial into Iera is fucking great
  • Iera into Pro Radii works pretty well
  • Pro Radii into Sublimit works pretty well too

overall not as offensive as i'd expected trying to tweak what's pretty close to a perfect album. may see about doing an alternate tracklist of my own

• Thanks 1

Not saying I have the perfect alternate order or one better than the lads' own sequencing, just trying to find another order that works decently. And yeah, Fermium does feel like the odd one out in some impossibly hard (for me) to pinpoint way. I think the main trick for fitting together some of it together better might be editing the endings just right. I'm kinda curious about coming up with alternate tracklistings for all their albums now, actually.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, splesh said:

Not saying I have the perfect alternate order or one better than the lads' own sequencing, just trying to find another order that works decently. And yeah, Fermium does feel like the odd one out in some impossibly hard (for me) to pinpoint way. I think the main trick for fitting together some of it together better might be editing the endings just right. I'm kinda curious about coming up with alternate tracklistings for all their albums now, actually.

can't you hear the essence of Fermium in the second half of Sublimit? how to go beyond visible, beyond the machine, how to push the limits, to transcend? that's how untilted's narrative smells to me and without Fermium the album would lost its narrative imo. yes, it's odd bc it proposes a healthier approach after the ill sounding first part of iera, and continues the bright feelings of the second part of Iera. Iera was a bridge to the new world and Fermium is the entrance to the world but that new world comes at the very end of the album. imo

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

i played this last (wild) weekend after years of listening to other othercre and it's my favorite right now, it's also the first one that introduced me to em. perfect album

also redruth come back, we're sorry :cattears: