IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

Can someone knowledgeable in the silver line of elektron machines try to explain how they used the machines on untilted...broadly

PLS

It's mostly Machinedrum UserWave RAM buffers being sequenced/automated and fed through/to one another in an absolutely incredible way. I'm still not convinced that there is much, if any, Monomachine usage on the album, though it's certainly there on the tour + Quaristice.

Plenty of Nord G2 action I think too.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were moments where the G2 was controlling the sequencing of the Machinedrum, and even perhaps with the MD looped back to the G2.

P.S. My love for Untilted knows no bounds. This album changed the way I look at rhythm forever.

Edited by futureimage

Can someone knowledgeable in the silver line of elektron machines try to explain how they used the machines on untilted...broadly

PLS

It's mostly Machinedrum UserWave RAM buffers being sequenced/automated and fed through/to one another in an absolutely incredible way. I'm still not convinced that there is much, if any, Monomachine usage on the album, though it's certainly there on the tour + Quaristice.

Plenty of Nord G2 action I think too.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were moments where the G2 was controlling the sequencing of the Machinedrum, and even perhaps with the MD looped back to the G2.

P.S. My love for Untilted knows no bounds. This album changed the way I look at rhythm forever.

thanks, future!

regarding mnm, although i can't be sure, somehow i have a feeling that there's a lot of it on untilted, all of these small melodies, sporadic sounds, like that last great moment at the end of sublimit, that distant mono melody that comes at 13:33. also, the main melody in the second part of LCC, melody from pro radii that starts at 6:27, main melody in iera, bass line in the tress and the pad that starts arround 3 minute mark ... any many more

what do you think about sequencing? more from comp/daw or? 

Edited by xox

Regarding overall feel and vibe. 'Untilted' seems most unstirred album while being completely mad. There is no any hint of surplus pathos and death metal spookings of latest max/msp era stuff. It reminds me Mr. Oizo's 'Moustache (Half A Scissor)' in that regard.

Also rhythm. Untilted, Untilted Tour (+ SND 4,5,6 later): there was a brief period when there was a feeling like they were arching standard breakbeat knees backwards.

what do you think about sequencing? more from comp/daw or? 

100% hardware sequencing. no DAW. they've said so in interviews.

Monomachine, Machinedrum, Nord G2, & MPC 1000.

Pitchfork: The timing on that "Iera" track is pretty disgusting-- were you using fader controllers to manipulate MIDI data?

Autechre: No, that was purely programmed, grid-programmed, all onscreen, just nudging MIDI events around. That track is totally just mousin' it-- but there are other tracks, as on "Sublimit", that are just a drum machine up and running, 16-grid style, no swing or anything, everything just completely straight. On this record there's no generative work or fader based MIDI stuff.

Now it is 90% hardware sequencing lol

PLS

It's mostly Machinedrum UserWave RAM buffers being sequenced/automated and fed through/to one another in an absolutely incredible way.

Sorry but I believe this is incorrect. Untilted came out April 2005, and the MDUW came out the same year, dunno when. So even if the MDUW was released very early that year, Sambob would have had a maximum of three months to produce the entire album and have it ready for distribution.. so imho that's very very unlikely.

Pitchfork: The timing on that "Iera" track is pretty disgusting-- were you using fader controllers to manipulate MIDI data?

Autechre: No, that was purely programmed, grid-programmed, all onscreen, just nudging MIDI events around. That track is totally just mousin' it-- but there are other tracks, as on "Sublimit", that are just a drum machine up and running, 16-grid style, no swing or anything, everything just completely straight. On this record there's no generative work or fader based MIDI stuff.

if we continue to search i bet we'd find out that untilted was mainly made with two accordions in one take and that it was inspired with the shittyfluted version of this corrosion by sisters of mercy

PLS

It's mostly Machinedrum UserWave RAM buffers being sequenced/automated and fed through/to one another in an absolutely incredible way.

Sorry but I believe this is incorrect. Untilted came out April 2005, and the MDUW came out the same year, dunno when. So even if the MDUW was released very early that year, Sambob would have had a maximum of three months to produce the entire album and have it ready for distribution.. so imho that's very very unlikely.

the uw version came out in 2005, not sure when exactly. maybe they had an early version, a prototype cause, iirc sean said that they were somehow involved in the process, probably by suggesting ideas for sw

Edited by xox

yea maybe.. kinda doubt it tho. Tbh not a lot of Untilted sounds like RAM machine mangling to me.. the harsher stuttery things maybe but that could also be MPC.

huh... well i stand corrected then.

at first i wondered why on earth you would want to be programming MIDI events in a DAW when you are dealing with the Elektrons and their badass internal sequencers, but when i listen to that Iera track again i think i understand. this was back in the day before the Elektrons had microtiming, so sending them external MIDI triggers could allow you to get really warped timing way off the grid while still using their internal sound engines.

unless the beats are all out of the DAW as well? :shrug:  dunno - they really sound like machinedrum to me.

pro radii is samples, field recording, cut up and played on mpc, (akai filters).

discuss!

Yeah it's (probably) a televised darts game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHO2el39V9Y

damn! that sound! :lol: you're probably right.

rob was just chillin on the couch with his mpc watching darts and he went "wait a minute..." (samples dart).

pro radii is samples, field recording, cut up and played on mpc, (akai filters).

discuss!

Yeah it's (probably) a televised darts game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHO2el39V9Y

damn! that sound! :lol: you're probably right.

rob was just chillin on the couch with his mpc watching darts and he went "wait a minute..." (samples dart).

The word 'break' can be clearly heard, which is a sample of John Virgo from the UK tv show Big Break.