IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

holy shit, I can see text in those alternate covers, especially in one of the big ones that looks like it says "un"

Good point!

Also funny how the artwork for the promo copy of Untilted (on Rutherford's site) looks almost like a finished piece from tDR. Little jab at the hyper-minimalism? Probably not but in my mind it is.

The promo version looks pretty nice! They should have stuck with him for their art; I love most tdr design, but their latest work with ae has been a bit too lazy for my tastes.

Guest bitroast

The promo version looks pretty nice! They should have stuck with him for their art; I love most tdr design, but their latest work with ae has been a bit too lazy for my tastes.

some variety would be nice. i personally don't mind chre or whoever sticking with the same artist thru and thru cos they build their relationship and understand where each other are at or let the artists do their own thing comfortably. but ye, some variety would be nice. it really does sort of feel like the chre maybe dont particularly mind too much whats going on in the art world. and maybe that seems a little 'safe' ?? but again. i like the tdr work and more than anything dont mind artists sticking with same artists.

Guest bitroast

i also think the chre doing live shows that are pitch black cos they dont want the visuals speaking for the music or whatever it is you wanna put it, probably as well speaks for them sticking to the same minimal artists for every release here on out. 

Can someone knowledgeable in the silver line of elektron machines try to explain how they used the machines on untilted...broadly

PLS

It's mostly Machinedrum UserWave RAM buffers being sequenced/automated and fed through/to one another in an absolutely incredible way.

Sorry but I believe this is incorrect. Untilted came out April 2005, and the MDUW came out the same year, dunno when. So even if the MDUW was released very early that year, Sambob would have had a maximum of three months to produce the entire album and have it ready for distribution.. so imho that's very very unlikely.

the uw version came out in 2005, not sure when exactly. maybe they had an early version, a prototype cause, iirc sean said that they were somehow involved in the process, probably by suggesting ideas for sw

Holy shit you're totally right Phling. I'm guessing it's MD controlled MPC stuff then. Holy shit. Mind blown yet again. Need to hammer this out very loud tomorrow.

Perhaps they upgraded after Untilted?

I've had my monomachine for almost two years, and machinedrum for a few months, and haven't even come close to making any of the sounds on Untilted.. Quaristice seems a bit more straightforward in terms of sound design, but Untilted sounds alien as fuck, even for Elektron machines.

I've always wanted to listen to pro radii in a pitch black padded room that maybe rotates and turns slowly, maybe you put on a padded bubble suit and step inside with others and bounce off each other as you listen to the track.

Haha yes! Could be part of an Autechre theme park

I've always wanted to listen to pro radii in a pitch black padded room that maybe rotates and turns slowly, maybe you put on a padded bubble suit and step inside with others and bounce off each other as you listen to the track.

Haha yes! Could be part of an Autechre theme park

They should set this up in the middle of Dollywood. Now that would be a trip. "Mommy, that ride had nothing to do with Dolly or country music, but it was soo much fun!"

• 2 weeks later...

Been on a bit of an AE binge lately and while this isn't my favorite album of theirs I do find it to be one of their most consistent in terms of overall track quality throughout the album. It's also (IMO) the last album they made that doesn't feel like there's either a lot of fat and excess or a distinct highlight v filler discrepancy, especially considering the sheer volume of material that would accompany each release period after Untilted. 

Pro Radii is one of the first tracks of theirs I remember hearing when I discovered them around 2006 along with Doctrine and Clipper  and thinking "Who the fuck are these people?" Always been impressed with how massive that track can sound without peaking or warping the speakers.

Edited by Overand