IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

Daniel Lopatin just released a remastered version of Eccojams on his official merch store. A bit pricey but will probably get it on payday !!!

http://pointnever.bigcartel.com/product/chuck-person-s-eccojams-vol-1

Is this the full 15 track edition. Can't find details.
Its an official rip of the cassette edition, essentially a legal digital download alternative to existing rips including the well regarded aserite rip

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Released in 1986. Later sampled by FSOL.

Whoa, that is the same library music series that the Xtal sample came from!

Good YouTube channel for arcane 70s/80s library music.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpUaVaLffIuWGnxvDpapbrQ

This is is incredible. I love this era of library music, the stuff that poked into things like call waiting music, science docs, tech ads, new age living soundtracks, etc

^Its interesting what has been sampled though, there are certain quasi-obscure or overlooked instrumental albums mined a lot by specific artists...eco virtual and jan hammer. Hell macintosh plus sampled sade and dancing fantasy for half of florral shop. Its funny how much protovaporwave like Software is brought up now. Its like the inadvertant canon samples in hiphop...like Bob James' Nautilus. That said some seem to dig deep into old Japanese pop albums.

My forthcoming tape for No Problema is about 60% samples from new age albums and library music. They're fucking excellent for using. Grab a loop or a section, slow it down, use it as a basis to put some other synth stuff and sounds on top, immediate ambient vapes.

My forthcoming tape for No Problema is about 60% samples from new age albums and library music. They're fucking excellent for using. Grab a loop or a section, slow it down, use it as a basis to put some other synth stuff and sounds on top, immediate ambient vapes.

Hell yes dude can't wait to hear it

アトランティス号

waterfall-bingol-mountains-nature.gif

忘れテープ

6oyqOt8.gif

DJ DOMSTA INSTRUMENTAL TAPE

before i was aware about specifically what songs were sampled on FS i stumbled upon dancing fantasy while looking for stuff to sample. they're really good!

some of you will probably recognise the mac+ track at the very beginning of this album, it's my fav track on FS

i can see why software and innovative communication are getting more attention now, they're sort of the closest thing to VW without the irony and effects trickery.

excellent find, Mesh. this stuff sounds like it was destined for a phone hold system. was this meant to be Muzak? its probably my context, listening to this 25 or so years later.

^ dude this is awesome

love the "please stay" track and the one after that

sounds a bit like a 1080p release to me, maybe 100% or a tape label like notnotfun or bonding tapes 

I have no idea what is and isn't kosher regarding demos TBH

and yes Bonding Tapes is run by QBLA

I'd hit up adhesive sounds and Los Angles tapes as well

So what does "Vaporwave" actually entail these days?  I haven't been paying much attention to it this year but over the last 6 months or so I've heard it used as a label to describe everything from Italo Disco to New Jack Swing to the soundtrack from Stranger Things (no, really), but not much of what I'd always known Vaporwave to be.

So what does "Vaporwave" actually entail these days? I haven't been paying much attention to it this year but over the last 6 months or so I've heard it used as a label to describe everything from Italo Disco to New Jack Swing to the soundtrack from Stranger Things (no, really), but not much of what I'd always known Vaporwave to be.

Yeah the term's definitely been watered down. People calling everything from ambient and field recordings to future funk/discohouse "vaporwave". I guess it's argued that it's more about the atmosphere, concept and assthetix and approach that makes something vaporwave, which I don't disagree with, but still feel that there should be some kind of continuity and thread between those elements and the music for it to fall within the genre. I think what we have here is a lot of young bedroom producers into the vaporwave scene and just slapping the tag on associated genres or really anything that they're into or anything modern and dreamy sounding, just so they can have the tag / cred associated with their music. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but it makes it difficult to sift through the muck and find those golden vaporwave releases. I for one, would rather discover new underground music without their obvious tags or genre labels. Some of my future Donovan releases will not contain the vaporwave tag on my bandcamp, as im not only moving away from the sound/label a bit, but it doesn't inspire me as much to slap the tag on there as it used to. Ironically, it feels too safe now. All that said, I still love the genre and community and always will. I also wont stop making original vaporwave--just that im doing more offshoot stuff and moving in a slightly different direction with the current Donovan Hikaru evolution.

Edited by Lane Visitor

So what does "Vaporwave" actually entail these days?  I haven't been paying much attention to it this year but over the last 6 months or so I've heard it used as a label to describe everything from Italo Disco to New Jack Swing to the soundtrack from Stranger Things (no, really), but not much of what I'd always known Vaporwave to be.

It's the 'dubstep' of the 10's: misinformation, historical revisionism, and watered down defintions run amok. Lane Visitor gives a good breakdown of what went wrong.

A lot of people using a term they don't understand for stuff that isn't vaporwave who are then written about by people who don't know anything either.

Edited by joshuatx

for me, computer dreams self titled and deleted self release is probably the truest VW album. but internet club's stuff is classic too. this isn't a definitive statement, just what i think as someone who was an enthusiastic pursuer of this music from 2010. to me, true vaporwave was made by people who were making it as an escape from what was before, a defiance of the current trends etc. (cliche statements about nascent art movments), not as emulation. i had the idea in my head before i heard other people making it, but other people made it before i tried. i never thought any of the big beat st pepsi esq stuff was quite pure. for me, vaporwave had to have broken production values. that's where the beauty was.

ever since i learned the term vaporwave, it all started to feel so fleeting. that's the sad/ maddening thing. i've moved on in a way but the spirit is still with me. it was a really hard thing to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFWYaqad_Jw

a dead mall (differentiating mallsoft is really dumb to me) is a good starting point, or maybe the photography of brian ulrich as a moodboard.

dark with a hint of hope, minimal, compressed. cold flickering fluorescent lights with echos of past promise/hope...

for me, computer dreams self titled and deleted self release is probably the truest VW album. but internet club's stuff is classic too. this isn't a definitive statement, just what i think as someone who was an enthusiastic pursuer of this music from 2010. to me, true vaporwave was made by people who were making it as an escape from what was before, a defiance of the current trends etc. (cliche statements about nascent art movments), not as emulation. i had the idea in my head before i heard other people making it, but other people made it before i tried. i never thought any of the big beat st pepsi esq stuff was quite pure. for me, vaporwave had to have broken production values. that's where the beauty was.

ever since i learned the term vaporwave, it all started to feel so fleeting. that's the sad/ maddening thing. i've moved on in a way but the spirit is still with me. it was a really hard thing to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFWYaqad_Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jZRYgxPA8k

a dead mall (differentiating mallsoft is really dumb to me) is a good starting point, or maybe the photography of brian ulrich as a moodboard.

dark with a hint of hope, minimal, compressed. cold flickering fluorescent lights with echos of past promise/hope...

Goddamn this speaks volumes to me.

Yeah, I've probably said many times before about the 2010-2012 era - Computer Dreams, Midnight Television, Diskette Romances, Skeleton, Internet Club, Infinity Frequencies, Contact Lens, 18 Carat Affair, all Vek's New Dreams Ltd projects - being the golden age, when it still had a kind of magical, ethereal feel. There's just so much from that era that I don't make that much effort to seek out new stuff these days. Throw in a bit of Lux Elite, Catcorp and the occasional early-style album like ghosting's telenights, and I got a 24hr+ playlist which I can pop on for all my vw needs.

Certainly the definition of the genre had changed dramatically by the time it hit a wider audience. Even though DC had stopped using the term by this point, the breakthrough of 2814 with the BOAND reissue and Rain Temple coming out suddenly threw the name everywhere, even though neither sound anything like classic vaporwave in the slightest. The last couple of mixes I've made for radio / websites have been described as vaporwave, even though there hasn't been any in them, just because of my previous association with the term and the dreamy ambient style of some DC stuff. It's very strange.

also posted this in the hipster house thread but here's some 'vapor house / techno' i've been working on, made a short 3min mix of in progress tunes. they just need a bit of tweaking and compositional stuff, no idea when it comes out.

here's the preview:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Ityvj5cx5dZDNlMEhCLVdPUG8

and here's the cover + info

bqqnNHU.png

Logichord - Logichord

1. Sam's Sun

2. Us & Them

3. Pacing + Planning

4. Anybody Else?

5. Pls Stay

6. Kylie

some of those are working titles, details will probably change. if anyone knows a label that deals with this type of stuff please lemme know so i can send to them + see what they think. cheers for listening :)

I like this. The artwork is nice as well. Looked you up on sc and found only the Us + Them track? looking forward to hearing more!

• 3 weeks later...

also posted this in the hipster house thread but here's some 'vapor house / techno' i've been working on, made a short 3min mix of in progress tunes. they just need a bit of tweaking and compositional stuff, no idea when it comes out.

here's the preview:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Ityvj5cx5dZDNlMEhCLVdPUG8

and here's the cover + info

bqqnNHU.png

Logichord - Logichord

1. Sam's Sun

2. Us & Them

3. Pacing + Planning

4. Anybody Else?

5. Pls Stay

6. Kylie

some of those are working titles, details will probably change. if anyone knows a label that deals with this type of stuff please lemme know so i can send to them + see what they think. cheers for listening :)

Nice work Mesh! That preview was awesome... Something about it makes me think of the soundtrack to the movie The Beach. Keep up the great releases! Love the cover art too.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Donovan just did a few tunes for a 7inch vinyl holiday special split with great guy outta Tokyo TOYOHIRAKUMIN, for Adhesive Sounds... The pressings are sold out, but digital avail at:

https://adhesivesounds.bandcamp.com/album/christmas-release-edition-split

I'm super stoked cuz this is my first time having my music on vinyl, totally humbling. Was feeling a slow 90s house / city pop vibe for this one, no traditional vapor on my end. It was cool cuz I thought my side and Toyo's side compliment ea other nicely, mine being somewhere in between an early pet shop boys outtake instrumental demo vibe on trk 1 and then some kinda filter house thing id imagine from paris circa late 90s for trk 2, going into Toyo's colorful new wave vapor like something off a Kitsune comp or 100% Silk mix and ending on a playful romantic note

Edited by Lane Visitor