IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

From the Donovan Hikaru Facebook page I set up a while back:

----

"Donovan Hikaru is a renowned professional who organizes many high-caliber and ultra-exclusive events in the world of underground conceptual thought. Through the use of exclusive third-party concepts, Hikaru remains at the forefront of the cutting edge.
Whether it's a Fortune 500 charity event, a lavish swinger party, or a charming corporate Christmas party, Donovan is there, unscathed and brooding with unabided charisma.
Mr. Donovan Hikaru is a five-time winner of the Platinum Serenity Awards, Event Coordinator for the United Nations Prose and Poise Committee, and Chairman of the Board for FACT (Foundation for Abstract Conceptual Thought), as well as Personal Consultant for movers-and-shakers like Christopher Johnson, Roland Oneal, and Yusef-Amhed Amir.
After spending great lengths of time in the rainforests of the Huragi region, near the outskirts of southeast Asia, the world is now ready for Hikaru to exert his rare excellence.
Hikaru, with a steadfast and stealth sweep, grabs life by the horns and artistically breathes fresh unconcentrated air into the life of the party...the party that is to be experienced. No frills, themes, or concepts in this one...Just you, your guests, and a white-hot fire of passion- Passion for life. This is your party...This is Donovan.
Donovan Hikaru Presents..."

19337_279932739456_6531730_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/donovanhikaru

um guys? Someone made a Reaktor patch called 'frames' that is basically instant vaporware, it's polyphonic too on a single wavefile granular window. Basically Daniel Loptain unless he comes up with new techniques is out of business

Guest jasondonervan

um guys? Someone made a Reaktor patch called 'frames' that is basically instant vaporware, it's polyphonic too on a single wavefile granular window. Basically Daniel Loptain unless he comes up with new techniques is out of business

This?

hmmm... well, it seems the image side of vw is already mainstream anyway lol:

new miley

miley-cyrus-bangerz-song-album-art-2.jpg

new arcade fire

ARCADE-FIRE-REFLEKTOR2.jpg

new gaga

bfcac__lady-gaga-artpop-album-cover-0-60

remember yeaysayer's album art from a while back?

yeasayer___.jpg

^.... but those aesthetics and that reaktor software shouldnt stop people from wanting to make cool vaporwave and related stuff... it's pretty lame ive already heard the whole "vaporwave is dead" call to actions from the uber hipsters.. yeah, just cuz cool styles are emerging and gaining more traction within a larger music community doesnt mean all creativity has been exhausted. but these styles have been around forever, before the term of the micro-niche genre was created.. kinda like with punk rock. punk may have "died" in 1977, but real punk rockers keep making punk rock lol- (it just may not be as "cool" as it used to be), but from an art standpoint, who cares? some of the best punk rock shows were in 2001, in high school for me- my defining feeling and understanding of what punk rock meant .. only the trendy assholes and talentless hacks abandon a sound just cuz it starts to get bigger. with that said, i still don't think the sounds of Point Never or PrismCorp is going to be the next pop thing as theyre not quite accessible enough to a wide audience, and ppl may not get it... Saint Pepsi or Macintosh Plus on the other hand, i could def hear Rihanna in 2015 singing over those types of dreamy surreal beats lol.

Edited by Lane Visitor

yes, i was joking. I'm just really surprised that this plugin hasn't been mentioned here yet, it's dying to be used to make a series of epic vaporware vapor-WAVE albums.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

^.... but those aesthetics and that reaktor software shouldnt stop people from wanting to make cool vaporwave and related stuff... it's pretty lame ive already heard the whole "vaporwave is dead" call to actions from the uber hipsters.. yeah, just cuz cool styles are emerging and gaining more traction within a larger music community doesnt mean all creativity has been exhausted. but these styles have been around forever, before the term of the micro-niche genre was created.. kinda like with punk rock. punk may have "died" in 1977, but real punk rockers keep making punk rock lol- and some of the best punk rock shows were in 2001, in high school for me- my defining feeling and understanding of what punk rock meant .. only the trendy assholes and talentless hacks abandon a sound just cuz it starts to get bigger. with that said, i still don't think the sounds of Point Never or PrismCorp is going to be the next pop thing... Saint Pepsi or Macintosh Plus on the other hand, i could def hear Rihanna in 2015 singing over those types of dreamy surreal beats lol.

Those styles and images are part of a larger movement of ironic web 2.0 art that has been ping ponging across the web since 2009 or so. Greek Columns, glitchy MS paint drawings, Miami pink sunset cursive writing, but many styles lay claim to these visual elements, such as italo disco, electro, and many other popular styles whose respective consumers have never listened to Internet Club. The visual element is much more prevalent, across multiple genres, mainstream and not. But visual aesthetics are typically much more shallow than aural ones, and experience much easier transfluence via meme B2B connections (brain to brain), whereas audio aesthetics take maybe a 100x more time to assimilate to one's archetypal index.

There is a rush to say that vaporwave is dead, or that seapunk is dead, (both have similar visual language), but fashion/ visual aesthetics are by far the easiest to mimic and thus trickle through alt culture. Miley Cyrus has no clue about anything, but her PR team probably spend hours every day reading Hipster Runoff, trying to make her image ironic enough.

People have been posting triangles and upside down crosses and pentagrams and circles and Pink-Orange gradients for a solid 4 years. It seemed really cool to me in 2010, and I was cutting diamonds out of pictures in photoshop. I picked up on it pretty early, I think. I had a good conversation about this with a highly disposive art female who is always trying to be ahead of the curve. We reminisced about the prevalence of triangles in tumblr culture, or should I say cvltvre. But anyone can watch Miami Vice and say, hey, I want my album of sick beats and eletro synths to have a cover just like that. Anyone can draw a triangle in photoshop and use the paint bucket tool.

Fear not, for as I have been saying, the deeper concepts will endure and go largely unnoticed by the mainstream.

I'm curious about a slightly mysterious blip on the Rephlex radar, did they actually release one of these seapunk albums? It seems to be a fake label imprint like all the other new Rephlex stuff, i just didn't see anyone talking about it here. Did i miss the discussion? if no one knows what im talking about go to Grant's facebook page, but the part that made me think it wasn't rephlex official is he links to a bandcamp page.

^.... but those aesthetics and that reaktor software shouldnt stop people from wanting to make cool vaporwave and related stuff... it's pretty lame ive already heard the whole "vaporwave is dead" call to actions from the uber hipsters.. yeah, just cuz cool styles are emerging and gaining more traction within a larger music community doesnt mean all creativity has been exhausted. but these styles have been around forever, before the term of the micro-niche genre was created.. kinda like with punk rock. punk may have "died" in 1977, but real punk rockers keep making punk rock lol- and some of the best punk rock shows were in 2001, in high school for me- my defining feeling and understanding of what punk rock meant .. only the trendy assholes and talentless hacks abandon a sound just cuz it starts to get bigger. with that said, i still don't think the sounds of Point Never or PrismCorp is going to be the next pop thing... Saint Pepsi or Macintosh Plus on the other hand, i could def hear Rihanna in 2015 singing over those types of dreamy surreal beats lol.

Those styles and images are part of a larger movement of ironic web 2.0 art that has been ping ponging across the web since 2009 or so. Greek Columns, glitchy MS paint drawings, Miami pink sunset cursive writing, but many styles lay claim to these visual elements, such as italo disco, electro, and many other popular styles whose respective consumers have never listened to Internet Club. The visual element is much more prevalent, across multiple genres, mainstream and not. But visual aesthetics are typically much more shallow than aural ones, and experience much easier transfluence via meme B2B connections (brain to brain), whereas audio aesthetics take maybe a 100x more time to assimilate to one's archetypal index.

There is a rush to say that vaporwave is dead, or that seapunk is dead, (both have similar visual language), but fashion/ visual aesthetics are by far the easiest to mimic and thus trickle through alt culture. Miley Cyrus has no clue about anything, but her PR team probably spend hours every day reading Hipster Runoff, trying to make her image ironic enough.

People have been posting triangles and upside down crosses and pentagrams and circles and Pink-Orange gradients for a solid 4 years. It seemed really cool to me in 2010, and I was cutting diamonds out of pictures in photoshop. I picked up on it pretty early, I think. I had a good conversation about this with a highly disposive art female who is always trying to be ahead of the curve. We reminisced about the prevalence of triangles in tumblr culture, or should I say cvltvre. But anyone can watch Miami Vice and say, hey, I want my album of sick beats and eletro synths to have a cover just like that. Anyone can draw a triangle in photoshop and use the paint bucket tool.

Fear not, for as I have been saying, the deeper concepts will endure and go largely unnoticed by the mainstream.

That's by far one of the most thought out, well articulated posts I've seen on watmm. lol.. Couldn't agree more sir.

"Miley Cyrus has no clue about anything, but her PR team probably spend hours every day reading Hipster Runoff, trying to make her image ironic enough."

lolol 100% truth.. i miss reading that site btw. carls made me laugh for sure!

Edited by Lane Visitor

That's by far one of the most thought out, well articulated posts I've seen on watmm. lol.. Couldn't agree more sir.

"Miley Cyrus has no clue about anything, but her PR team probably spend hours every day reading Hipster Runoff, trying to make her image ironic enough."

lolol 100% truth.. i miss reading that site btw. carls made me laugh for sure!

Ah, thanks.

It is still kind of funny, but I stopped reading it a few years ago after I read the shockingly genuine/serious post about carls rethinking the whole model and what should be done going forward. I really only read it for a period of less than sex months, but it was for sure funny. It's still funny actually. I'm just so NOT in that group of people though, but it's a good thing to be aware of.

The current post about "Is the Scene Still Alive" is kind of sad, and funny.

This?

yes, but by itself when its not being synced with a beat sounds way more vaporwave, basically instantly you can make stuff that sounds exactly like R+7

Yeah it seems interesting to me that the image of the mainstream can so keenly match whatever cryptowavepunk genre is in the underground, but the music is always a nearly complete mismatch. Sometimes I feel like they come from the same source more than one influences the other. Even the artists themselves seem to often be motivated by the same philosophies.

I think you can do that frames thing with an Ensoniq EPS if you try hard enough.

I feel like this is worth posting right about now, especially @ 13:40 where I think he's dead on about the earnest but misguided ire over Rihanna's use of Jerome LOL's work and seapunk in general, 16:20 is fucking dead-on imo:

http://youtu.be/SgD79cWde0I

Edited by joshuatx

This?

yes, but by itself when its not being synced with a beat sounds way more vaporwave, basically instantly you can make stuff that sounds exactly like R+7

Neat patch and yes, that's very much akin to soooo much electronic music out there, not just vaporwave but a lot of beat scene and general trendy synthpop - I wonder how many will use this instead of their current rigs. It seems like it has a lot of other possibilities beyond poppy cut-up music.