IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

Guest Gravity

He samples tracks from Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 as well on the album, though. He's just sampling (remaking in this case) rather than ripping the track off.

He samples tracks from Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 as well on the album, though. He's just sampling (remaking in this case) rather than ripping the track off.

age old question: where's the line between ripoff and sampling? i don't want to get into this and derail the thread though.

Guest Gravity

age old question: where's the line between ripoff and sampling? i don't want to get into this and derail the thread though.

Hmm. I guess it just has to do with the artist's intention and how much is added. You can remake a track in its entirety and as long as you let people know what it is, then it just becomes a cover. Ripping something off would be trying to sneak it under the radar, I'd say.

Edited by Gravity

i dont know, the vaporewave thread's probably not the best place to have that discussion since it's all young kids stealing music and calling it their own with probably no contextual understanding to the history of sampling, its evolution, plunderphonics, etc. I already tried having it.

which are linked to advances in technology and which somehow lurk in the background,

ah ok this is probably why after 0pn's dvd all other vaporwave already seemed tired as shit. I didn't realize this was a component to it, seems a little too specific for someone to really make an imprint, but maybe the homogenous style it's all done in is part of the point?

i dont know, the vaporewave thread's probably not the best place to have that discussion since it's all young kids stealing music and calling it their own with probably no contextual understanding to the history of sampling, its evolution, plunderphonics, etc. I already tried having it.

As if you have to have a contextual understanding of plunderphonics to do it. It's better to NOT know.

This song sounds more like fucked up beats.

that's what gets me about it, though. The chopping is more extreme than most vapes, but the vibe, to me, captures a certain sort of 90s game nostalgia - not the game music itself, but the way it would filter into your subconscious, bits & pieces as you're running through different environments, triggering sound effects at random intervals, glitching, etc

Yeah maybe, some of the sample material, but definitely not song structure. And I checked his other trax, they aren't quite like that. It shares some samples but the general aesthetic of the music doesn't feel as dark to me as most "vaporwave".

Although I guess if you include guys like Saint Pepsi and half of Fortune 500 in vaporwave, then yeah, it's vaporwave.

Yeah and to be fair he credits (at least some of) the sources on his website too, that's how I found this one.

Yeah, I've caught Zora's Domain and Inside the Deku Tree, but not Mario 64 yet (should be obvious I guess?)

That Geinoh Yamashirogumi album is great isn't it? There's also some samples from the Akira soundtrack somewhere. I recommend Ecophony Rinne.

Edited by poblequadrat

That Geinoh Yamashirogumi album is great isn't it?

been years since i listened to it but i actually remember being a lil disappointed by Gaia. I lived & breathed Eccophony Rinne & the Akira OST in high school, & was all pumped when I found out there was a third album in the "GY does synth music" series. And then I got it & it was all "wtf is this, it's just samples of their old stuff + drum machines"

maybe now with a fresh pair of ears i'd feel it more

Guest Gravity

Yeah, I've caught Zora's Domain and Inside the Deku Tree, but not Mario 64 yet (should be obvious I guess?)

That Geinoh Yamashirogumi album is great isn't it? There's also some samples from the Akira soundtrack somewhere. I recommend Ecophony Rinne.

The Mario 64 sample is actually at the end of this video, my bad. It's the underground theme.

@ 1:09

There's a huge a question of sincerity to be asked to, but that's extremely tricky to level as criticism and damn near impossible to claim. Ripoff means the person was lazy, opportunistic, and unappreciative. Sampling done well indicated ingenuity, cleverness, and appreciation. Those are extremely debatable concepts.

I get emotional highs finding say, samples used in a Boards of Canada song or a Dilla beat, but will be completely miffed when I hear one of my favorite songs interpolated in a Top40 hit or some EDM producer lazily throw trap beats over a "classic" electronic song, even though they are both technically doing the same thing in principle.

Like this song...

http://youtu.be/OfuXHIxb2uU

sampling this song...

My gut reaction was one of being annoyed and a little offended. Most of this producer's fans will not notice this sample, fewer would even care one way or the other if they know. Trainspotting and crate-digging seem less appreciated now than in the past, which I find alarming.

I know there are thousands of flippant producers trying to get noticed and signed to labels by sampling whatever they think might be trendy and cool and don't actually care for who, what, or why they sample the music they do. It's a huge grey area that's hard to objectively debate. For example, I can't easily and quickly explain why 2 Many DJ's are superior to Girl Talk, even though I firmly believe they are in every critical regard.

The fact that technology has made both sampling and the sourcing of samples so much easier has deluded the artistic merits and appeal of the method. DJ Shadow is acclaimed because he painstakingly arranged obscure bits of music into entire songs with nothing but an entry-level MPC and vinyl records. Now with a little luck and a lot of good self-publicity someone can mine the internet in a couple hours and throw together tracks in free audio software and distribute it instantly. In some ways it's alarming and in other ways it's exciting. The immediate problem is the "ripoff" vibe of sampling is greater and more prevalent than ever.

okey dokey i just made my first vw track... it's short and hokey and simple.. somewhere between late 80s sitcom music and inspirational corporate muzak... all original.

just made a fitting youtube video/slideshow for it. Any interest in me posting it onto this thread? (: