IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

also just to stir up a little bit of hype, i sent roasty the draft for the next solo jazz cup album. it's a double disc and hopefully will be out in the next month or so.

Hype! I really like the first one.

vaporwave has become a meme in so many ways. Anything with dated computer graphics or, indeed, blue and pink, is often categorised as vaporwave. I dunno if it still happens, but for a while it was actually one of those general buzzwords kids used as Instagram hashtags, just tagging everything with it for no real apparent reason.

it is weird how little vaporwave, even lazy cyan/magenta stuff is actually under that tag on instagram

i think 2015 - 2016 was the peak in terms of mainstream popularity, and i think more people were more interested in the blatant nostalgia with the visual stuff than the actual music.

totally, seems to have tapered off a bit

3yff8ifpqfx01.png

Can I just point out that the reason I didn’t start this thread is because I assumed I would have been banned.

I just started re-reading the thread from the start, thanks. Still impressed you and other WATMMers were aware of this so early on

^ plausible but i feel more gas-lighted by the fact that everyone online thinks HOME's RESONANCE is a vaporwave classic / stalwart

in before gmanyo

^ 2nd post lol

Anyone aware of the drama going on with the OESB label atm? 

The fact that the guy who runs it is a scammer who happily takes cash without sending stuff out? It's been almost 18 months since pre-orders for HKE's Dragon Soul went up and I'm pretty sure none have been shipped yet. Supposedly there were delays in vinyl manufacture but the tapes haven't even been sent, and the label's released other record since then. Including the Floral Shoppe LP which a lot of people haven't received. Supposedly a lot of people never received Human Story 3. I was warned off buying from OESB a couple of years ago with tales of them not shipping stuff out in the past but decided to ignore the warning, wish I hadn't. Someone told me the label's PayPal got shut down because it received too many claims for refunds. The guy who runs it also runs HVRF and outright refuses to remove albums from the label when requested by the artist (he made some transphobic comments I wasn't comfortable with so asked not to be associated with the label and have my two releases removed - he refused and said if I made a claim to have the albums removed he'd go out of his way to promote the albums and host them elsewhere, before also going on a rant about trans women being 'men playing dress up', so y'know, fuck that guy)

Yeah I preordered Floral Shoppe and Human Story 3 and have yet to receive either. We spoke to Ferraro very recently and he claims the vinyl pressing of HS3 was done without his permission, pretty much a bootleg lol.

Edited by hello spiral

Anyone aware of the drama going on with the OESB label atm?

The fact that the guy who runs it is a scammer who happily takes cash without sending stuff out? It's been almost 18 months since pre-orders for HKE's Dragon Soul went up and I'm pretty sure none have been shipped yet. Supposedly there were delays in vinyl manufacture but the tapes haven't even been sent, and the label's released other record since then. Including the Floral Shoppe LP which a lot of people haven't received. Supposedly a lot of people never received Human Story 3. I was warned off buying from OESB a couple of years ago with tales of them not shipping stuff out in the past but decided to ignore the warning, wish I hadn't. Someone told me the label's PayPal got shut down because it received too many claims for refunds. The guy who runs it also runs HVRF and outright refuses to remove albums from the label when requested by the artist (he made some transphobic comments I wasn't comfortable with so asked not to be associated with the label and have my two releases removed - he refused and said if I made a claim to have the albums removed he'd go out of his way to promote the albums and host them elsewhere, before also going on a rant about trans women being 'men playing dress up', so y'know, fuck that guy)

Yeah I preordered Floral Shoppe and Human Story 3 and have to to receive either. We spoke to Ferraro very recently and he claims the vinyl pressing of HS3 was done without his permission, pretty much a bootleg lol.

That's atrocious. Esp since HS3 is a serious effort of completely original compositions. Not that bootlegging Floral Shoppe is cool either but just a context thing.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Not sure what happened to the soundtrack in this video but I love it.  Really starts to pickup around the 9:30 mark with a big crescendo around 11:20.

Edited by RSP

• 2 weeks later...

Surfing returns with their follow up to "Deep Fantasy" this summer. "Otherside" is the first single from the album INCUBO™, coming out Friday, July 13th on 100% Electronica. You can preorder the album now on vinyl and cassette at https://surfing100p.bandcamp.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpca1BCdsPo

Digging this, it's like a groovy sonic youth track

Surfing returns with their follow up to "Deep Fantasy" this summer. "Otherside" is the first single from the album INCUBO™, coming out Friday, July 13th on 100% Electronica. You can preorder the album now on vinyl and cassette at https://surfing100p.bandcamp.com

Digging this, it's like a groovy sonic youth track

same, I forgot they put out an album in 2016, this sounds like a bit of that and their debut mixed together

^ plausible but i feel more gas-lighted by the fact that everyone online thinks HOME's RESONANCE is a vaporwave classic / stalwart

lol that the artwork for this is just from a michael stearns record

nice catch

it's always weird calling out lazy / superficial art appropriation with this stuff when the more apt aping of art and music is technically as lazy and superficial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GW6sLrK40k

lol that the artwork for this is just from a michael stearns record

nice catch

it's always weird calling out lazy / superficial art appropriation with this stuff when the more apt aping of art and music is technically as lazy and superficial

yeah, it’s hard to define precisely what works and what doesn’t. maybe it has to do with how it fits within the overall presentation of the music and with other works from the same artist.

At least companies like LZX are trying to make video synthesis affordable/approachable. That machine looks awesome, but pretty unwieldy.

At least companies like LZX are trying to make video synthesis affordable/approachable. That machine looks awesome, but pretty unwieldy.

I've seen some video tape glitch/effects units too like the one Odd Nosdam used

^ Reminded me of this

this is fascinating