IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

wouldn't call it vapor wave but its sort of similar in its use of visual 90's aesthetic and purpsefully making super polished and catchy pop music (actually that isn't vaporwave at all)

http://pcmusic.info/

edit: a lot of it isn't that good as well, its ran by the same guy who is behind this

http://illamasqua.logo.ec/

Edited by funkaholic

wouldn't call it vapor wave but its sort of similar in its use of visual 90's aesthetic and purpsefully making super polished and catchy pop music (actually that isn't vaporwave at all)

http://pcmusic.info/

edit: a lot of it isn't that good as well, its ran by the same guy who is behind this

http://illamasqua.logo.ec/

jesus I've been awake too long and all this is just making me feel very insane

I had an idea similar to UNINTENTIONAL VAPORWAVE COVERS in the seapunk thread.

Side note: some of you must listen to Greeen Linez? They are in an entirely different group, but similar still. Lots of the people around ESP Institute are doing this whole REALLY SERIOUS new age jazz revival thing. Plus the Greeen Linez cover is very good.

I have to say that Eccojams has had a much bigger influence on some of my own music than I previously realized. I'm just finishing up Pt 2 of this Acroplane release and some of it is very vaporware, totally inadvertently after I'd been in here poking fun at the genre name. this is going to be weird

Guest jasondonervan

I had an idea similar to UNINTENTIONAL VAPORWAVE COVERS in the seapunk thread.

Side note: some of you must listen to Greeen Linez? They are in an entirely different group, but similar still. Lots of the people around ESP Institute are doing this whole REALLY SERIOUS new age jazz revival thing. Plus the Greeen Linez cover is very good.

Yup, I even put one of their fine tracks up a while back

Was checking out at a record store and they were giving this away for free:

0001736613_10.jpg

http://holodeckrecords.bandcamp.com/album/eventide-hd018

FREEEEEEE!

Clearly Canadian Cherry on top of an already wonderful day at the record store.

ClearlyCanadian_Cherry1.jpg

Edited by joshuatx

Well, you're on top of it then. They also did a great remix of a Mau'lin track

Speaking of good ESP related remixes, I love this Jonny Nash one. I would say we are still in the vaporwave realm.

Greeen Linez reminds me of Lone.

I would agree somewhat, but they have almost opposite approaches to production.

0001736613_10.jpg

FREEEEEEE!

ClearlyCanadian_Cherry1.jpg

WOW! Where do you live and how is that even possible? Nice clearly canadian. I wish they sold those around here. I've had the cherry once or twice, such crisp, tart splendor.

Edited by sheatheman

I have to say that Eccojams has had a much bigger influence on some of my own music than I previously realized. I'm just finishing up Pt 2 of this Acroplane release and some of it is very vaporware, totally inadvertently after I'd been in here poking fun at the genre name. this is going to be weird

I don't think anything so influential has come along since then. Not in the same way. It seems like an almost global phenomenon, but the official nobody here video still has fewer than 200k views. 2010 was a bewildering time.

I don't think anything so influential has come along since then. Not in the same way. It seems like an almost global phenomenon, but the official nobody here video still has fewer than 200k views. 2010 was a bewildering time.

I can't help but feel that the Field contributed to this as well in 2006 on From Here We Go Sublime, but I assume he was coming from techno predecessors as an influence and his sample loops were a lot shorter:

Lionel Richie sample:

http://youtu.be/xuYS0Sz-h1g

@2:20 has a longer loop of the Flamingo's hit "only have eyes for you," though he also slows it down digitally

Edited by joshuatx

Well, you're on top of it then. They also did a great remix of a Mau'lin track

Speaking of good ESP related remixes, I love this Jonny Nash one. I would say we are still in the vaporwave realm.

Greeen Linez reminds me of Lone.

I would agree somewhat, but they have almost opposite approaches to production.

0001736613_10.jpg

FREEEEEEE!

WOW! Where do you live and how is that even possible? Nice clearly canadian. I wish they sold those around here. I've had the cherry once or twice, such crisp, tart splendor.

It was at End of an Ear records in Austin, TX. They put a ton of local tapes out for Cassette Day and those were at the checkout desk. There were like 3 or 4 left.

There was no Clearly Canadian, I just wanted a visual to go with my lame metaphor. :sad: Knowing this city and it's residents I would not be shocked if someone in the city limits was hoarding bottles of unopened Clearly Canadian.

Hell, last time I saw one of those IRL was in the console of my mom's 1994 Nissan Quest when I was with her after school while she drove around doing errands.

Edited by joshuatx

I knew that in the back of my mind, but i was reading that clearly canadian was back, then i saw the article was from 2009. Oh well. I love end of an ear, because it's like end of an era, but they should have made it end of an eara.

how is that cassette btw?

Edited by sheatheman

there seems to be a huge canyon in between good quality vaporware and really lazily done DJ screw imitations. Can anybody here recommend 'quality' vaporware thats not just slowed down hip hop or eccojams ripoffs and actually sounds like effort, and time was put into it's creation?

and i guess since there seems to be so many different styles and technique in this 'genre' i'm specifically looking for stuff that's based on sample stealing like eccojams or replica not stuff made that sounds nostalgic or of a certain era

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest jasondonervan

there seems to be a huge canyon in between good quality vaporware and really lazily done DJ screw imitations. Can anybody here recommend 'quality' vaporware thats not just slowed down hip hop or eccojams ripoffs and actually sounds like effort, and time was put into it's creation?

and i guess since there seems to be so many different styles and technique in this 'genre' i'm specifically looking for stuff that's based on sample stealing like eccojams or replica not stuff made that sounds nostalgic or of a certain era

"...vaporwave is a next step in the evolution of hypnagogic pop. In many ways it’s the opposite of hypnagogic pop, but maybe it’s better to think of them as two ends of a continuum, parts of a spectrum. Hypnagogic pop and vaporwave both share a fetish for the trash music on either television or just somewhere in the background, by turns chipper and dreamy, and they both treat it through endless loops, drones and small-cell repetitions. Hypnagogic pop and vaporwave both like to manipulate their material to defamiliarise it and give it a sense of the uncanny, such as slowing it down and/or lowering the pitch, making it, as the term goes, ‘screwed’. Finally, hypnagogic pop and vaporwave both have an eerie tendency now and again to turn trash, something shallow and determinedly throwaway, into something sacred or mystical."

[source]

"...vaporwave is a next step in the evolution of hypnagogic pop. In many ways it’s the opposite of hypnagogic pop, but maybe it’s better to think of them as two ends of a continuum, parts of a spectrum. Hypnagogic pop and vaporwave both share a fetish for the trash music on either television or just somewhere in the background, by turns chipper and dreamy, and they both treat it through endless loops, drones and small-cell repetitions. Hypnagogic pop and vaporwave both like to manipulate their material to defamiliarise it and give it a sense of the uncanny, such as slowing it down and/or lowering the pitch, making it, as the term goes, ‘screwed’. Finally, hypnagogic pop and vaporwave both have an eerie tendency now and again to turn trash, something shallow and determinedly throwaway, into something sacred or mystical."

[source]

i understand that there is a very broad way of describing this type of music, but I guess that very broad definition of it interests me almost none at all. I'm wondering if there are any other 'breakthrough' vaporware albums that use primarily as it's source material stolen samples, ones that people would consider as 'important' as echojams. I honestly don't mean to be a dick but that thing you quoted seems like an anthropological study on the mistake of naming a cultural phenomenon far too quickly before even a sliver of it is understood in a larger context, i really don't gel well with music journalists wanting to put everything in a box during such a fluid and changing scenario in music evolution. but if Eccojams is considered some kind of milestone in what is essentially a genre that won't be talked about a year from now (or be called something else) I want to know what other sample based albums people think have the same resonance or importance. My original question was mixed in with disdain admittedly but the question still remains

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I read that dummy article some time ago, and it pissed me off more than anything. The point is, real musicians don't care about making sure other people know they "get it." That type of print effectively kills the mood. The type of people who need to have it laid out for them like that have no business listening in the first place. And until the internet dies, or corporations die, the general ideas around vaporwave will endure.