IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 12:58 AM, milkface said:

Some vaporwave from 2009

isn't this OPN? from his 2009 Memory Vague release. anyway, I like it.

I've dumped on vaporwave a lot over the years for being 1-dimensional and oversaturated, but the fact remains that when I dip a toe in it occasionally I usually find something I like. I realise that this disparity between my critical assessment of the genre versus my occasional enjoyment of it is because, for better or worse, the whole vaporwave aesthetic banks on an emotional/nostalgic response. if you are an emotional or nostalgic person (which I am), you will probably find something that hits you. however once I'm past the initial romance of a given track, the critical part of my brain is left wanting more, and I usually find little other substance to go on. a genre that's built the way this one is is going to have both merits and failings for the same reasons.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, usagi said:

I've dumped on vaporwave a lot over the years for being 1-dimensional and oversaturated, but the fact remains that when I dip a toe in it occasionally I usually find something I like. I realise that this disparity between my critical assessment of the genre versus my occasional enjoyment of it is because, for better or worse, the whole vaporwave aesthetic banks on an emotional/nostalgic response. if you are an emotional or nostalgic person (which I am), you will probably find something that hits you. however once I'm past the initial romance of a given track, the critical part of my brain is left wanting more, and I usually find little other substance to go on. a genre that's built the way this one is is going to have both merits and failings for the same reasons.

fuck critical brain

return to monke

• Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, usagi said:

Yeah I realised it was him like 3 days after I made that post after delving deeper into that YT channel.

8 hours ago, dr lopez said:

i recently read an academic paper on vaporwave and our very own @joshuatxukwas quoted! a true expert

Some vaporwave from 1996

wow, from here or reddit? I've had a couple good rants in the past I suppose. one day I need to copy and archive my best ones. this entire thread is essentially niche internet historic IMHO

I suppose online discussion / media is going to become further and further embedded in published work 

33 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

wow, from here or reddit? I've had a couple good rants in the past I suppose. one day I need to copy and archive my best ones. this entire thread is essentially niche internet historic IMHO

I suppose online discussion / media is going to become further and further embedded in published work 

from reddit. did the author contact you about using your quotes or just took them? lol. anyway I was using that article for a paper I was working on and just "had to lol" when i saw your username come up. i know that guy!

lol sounds like he just took them.

1 hour ago, joshuatxuk said:

in 2001, I posted a rant about US consumer culture/labour exploitation/globalisation on fucking bolt.com, which was like a proto Facebook now that I realise it. I was in high school, I'd just read Naomi Klein's No Logo and was woke af, I just had to pose online. my words were quoted by ZMag, some kind of Howard Zinn-related labour rights publication, as an example of increasing awareness among the youth. I just googled it and I can still find it :psyduck: I should post it in the cringe thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1