Vaporwave

Nebraska

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2012 at 8:02 AM, Cryptowen said:

I think I made a big rambly post about this a while back, but I'm actually a supporter of the nostalgia/sampling trend in current indie electronic/hip hop/pop. To me it suggests a new generation of producers (which I guess I would place myself & about half of Soundcloud/Bandcamp into) who've been given easy access to technology & information musicians of the past could only dream of, but also a prevailing sense of everything having been done before & done to the point of over-saturation.

In an attempt to express ourselves we've, consciously or not, turning to the past, studying it, breaking it down & putting it back together (literally in the case of vaporwave), trying to move beyond previous conventions of genre/harmonics/song structure & create something new that could not have been envisioned before its creation. And I think it's slowly inching towards that goal, because some of this stuff does sound pretty weird when you look at it objectively

It seems new releases that fall on the more conservative side of things are called derivative of past artists, & more experimental output is called soulless irony lacking musical value. This doesn't really surprise me because that's literally what happens every time music does anything

good post from 10 years ago amid a wall of negativity in the front page

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...