IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

if i made my own 80's music and pitched it down a bunch, would it be vaporwave?

philosoraptor.jpg

Official Vaportwave Rules:

1. The song that's sampled has to have been heard in the past by no more than 200 million people, but no less than 50,000 people.

2. It cannot by any means include music from the following artists: Michael Jackson and Rick Astly -- as they are too often referenced in pop culture and/or have too many Youtube memes about them already.

3. In addition to pitching the sample down, there must be reverb applied to the sample with no less than 50% wetness, and no more than 71% wetness.

4. There can be no political lyrics.

5. You must be laying down on your side with your head resting on your hand while your laptop/ipad/pc mouse is in the other while creating the track.

6. You may NOT tag it as vaporwave on YT, or else the true VW labels will scorn at you and you will be shunned by the entire community.

Note: You may use "post-pre-vaporwave", "bear-core", or "aggro-chill-wave with hints of vapor" or other similar tags as a safe alternative.

and most importantly,

7. You may not, under any circumstance, be thinking about the genre while you attempt to make it. In fact, the more you seek out to create a "vaporwave" track, the less it becomes official Vaporwave, and your potential vapor wonders will vaporize into digital nothingness.

if i made my own 80's music and pitched it down a bunch, would it be vaporwave?

philosoraptor.jpg

Official Vaportwave Rules:

1. The song that's sampled has to have been heard in the past by no more than 200 million people, but no less than 50,000 people.

2. It cannot by any means include music from the following artists: Michael Jackson and Rick Astly -- as they are too often referenced in pop culture and/or have too many Youtube memes about them already.

3. In addition to pitching the sample down, there must be reverb applied to the sample with no less than 50% wetness, and no more than 71% wetness.

4. There can be no political lyrics.

5. You must be laying down on your side with your head resting on your hand while your laptop/ipad/pc mouse is in the other while creating the track.

6. You may NOT tag it as vaporwave on YT, or else the true VW labels will scorn at you and you will be shunned by the entire community.

Note: You may use "post-pre-vaporwave", "bear-core", or "aggro-chill-wave with hints of vapor" or other similar tags as a safe alternative.

and most importantly,

7. You may not, under any circumstance, be thinking about the genre while you attempt to make it. In fact, the more you seek out to create a "vaporwave" track, the less it becomes official Vaporwave, and your potential vapor wonders will vaporize into digital nothingness.

FLOL brilliant

Also, I usually hate that stereotypical fight club joke so often used as a retort, but I seriously considered typing it out for a brief moment.

http://youtu.be/CBAlZBoUwFY

FLOL brilliant

Also, I usually hate that stereotypical fight club joke so often used as a retort, but I seriously considered typing it out for a brief moment.

The various avatars of Internet Club are (is) the only ones (one) doing anything interesting with "vaporwave" anymore, and it's hardly even vaporwave at this point.

http://wakesleep.bandcamp.com/

actually this is pretty cool too:

http://beerontherug.bandcamp.com/track/96-galant

First rule of vaporwave. You don't talk about vaporwave.

That said, I think the whole reason people are so into it is because it represents this feeling, when you are staying up late watching informercials or whatever, I guess people actually do that, but you get in that zone where you keep thinking that you are missing out on something. What I'm saying is there is this implied social element somehow, so ubiquitous is the theme of lounge/plaza/waitingroom, but the people actually in those places aren't thinking of things that way. If you go to a lounge it will be nothing like this idealized version. The idea has been bugging me for years. I have this idea of actually having fun hanging out in a lounge, but the reality is that they would probably be playing lady gaga and everyone would be drunk and/or have their hearts aimed out----> and not in <-----. The idea of living happily in a moment, with someone else too, in this self contained lounge world, but the simultaneous nostalgia/depression that it is a bygone era, or it never has and never will actually exist, that the extent of it is that production room and it is only perceived through a screen, or in a purer way--through a speaker.

Edited by sheatheman

http://youtu.be/CBAlZBoUwFY

FLOL brilliant

The various avatars of Internet Club are (is) the only ones (one) doing anything interesting with "vaporwave" anymore, and it's hardly even vaporwave at this point.

http://wakesleep.bandcamp.com/

actually this is pretty cool too:

http://beerontherug.bandcamp.com/track/96-galant

First rule of vaporwave. You don't talk about vaporwave.

That said, I think the whole reason people are so into it is because it represents this feeling, when you are staying up late watching informercials or whatever, I guess people actually do that, but you get in that zone where you keep thinking that you are missing out on something. What I'm saying is there is this implied social element somehow, so ubiquitous is the theme of lounge/plaza/waitingroom, but the people actually in those places aren't thinking of things that way. If you go to a lounge it will be nothing like this idealized version. The idea has been bugging me for years. I have this idea of actually having fun hanging out in a lounge, but the reality is that they would probably be playing lady gaga and everyone would be drunk and/or have their hearts aimed out----> and not in <-----. The idea of living happily in a moment, with someone else too, in this self contained lounge world, but the simultaneous nostalgia/depression that it is a bygone era, or it never has and never will actually exist, that the extent of it is that production room and it is only perceived through a screen, or in a purer way--through a speaker.

Wow, well said. I think it's these idealized versions of the images and concepts that keep our imagination afloat, and our minds wandering into all kinds of possibilities, dreams, etc. I've had the same idea about having fun hanging out in a lounge, the same idea I have about going to a shopping mall to get pizza and window shop, and even the experience of going to a movie at a theater, or renting a dvd from a rental store (the ones that still exist)... All the idealized/nostalgic/symbolic versions of those experiences pop out at me when I think about doing those things, and usually when i do them, it's not as satisfying, for one million reasons or another- I would say the main culprit being the constant internal dialogue in my head as I'm experiencing them, whether they be limitations, self-imposed judgments of myself and others around me, timing (am i wasting time? should i be busy being productive right now?, why is everyone "these days" staring down at their phones? what's up with our generation? am i ever going to have the career i dream of? is this pizza im eating right now going to give me a heart attack in 10 years... or on the flip side, is this salad i just ordered have enough leafy greens to actually be of nutritional value, or am i just eating water-comprised and wilted lettuce and celery strands submerged in balsamic? etc etc etc etc etc. of course it doesn't help that we're all attached to our nostalgic pasts, and that it seems that the current generation is very detached from improvisation and physical engagement, but i think at the core, it's all these judgments and limitations, it seems, that keeps us from submerging into the moment. enter Internet Club, Saint Pepsi, Ultra... a meditation on those environments and feelings of being submerged into a particular atmosphere and the comfort of that familiarity, with a dash of mysteriousness and adventure.

More well said things.

It's the internet. Experience is cheapened because 1: we know that there are millions of people experiencing the same things and that makes us feel insignificant and 2: the internet allows us to simulate experiences, creating a new type of experience (simulacrum), so there is no need to actually move through space and interact with others.

I think that's why so much of the imagery is focused on late 80's, because the internet/technology was SO promising at the time, and hadn't been proven to be evil yet. I need to stop talking about this. There was a lot of hope at the time.

Ultra has this phrase on bandcamp, "stop hoping, start dreaming." As in, all of this 80's imagery about the future never happened.

Edited by sheatheman

There's this particular place, where you become completely lost in the "right now" and it all just feels incredibly right, and the characteristics of this particular moment form the fabrics of your entire reality. You have entered the universe of the burnt freezer pizza crust in the 11PM, the universe of the throat vomit toilet bowl linoleum, the universe of the bumpy white wall paint

And of course it's always there, like there's constantly the potential to get entirely lost in the eternity of right now - and maybe the idea that we ever aren't in that state is a clever ruse designed to make the game more interesting. But there is this sense, sometimes, that to attempt to describe this state is to step away from it. To reach for it is to reach away from it. Even to become aware of it is to watch it escape. Everything is a reflection of your ultimate truth & it's the only thing you can be & it's the only thing you can't see

So this puts vapourwave in a percarious position for me, because the genre revolves (perhaps subconsciously?) around this notion of becoming absorbed in the moment - taking familiar bits of cultural run-off & focusing in on them like a microscope...closer, closer, attempting to bring out the microscopic atmospheres within atmospheres within atmospheres, taking something old and making it say something new just to show how it's all the same all the time

But what happens when it becomes self-aware? I don't mean - "oh yeah, haha, we're gonna do weird stuff to 80s music" - that's real. That's an expression of my generation right now. I mean when it gets to "oh, vapourwave, yeah that's some deep art shit innit? all fractalizing the universe & shit"? What happens then? Maybe that's why culture keeps mutating - because the magic keeps escaping. Enlightenment slips through your fingers again & again, the thing that took you to that place stops working. You made it stop working. Because it's time to search for the next signpost

What do you think of Yasuaki Shimizu's album "Music for Commercials"? It's not vapourwave, but actual music for 80's Japanese commercials, actually more electronic than soft jazz, but still relevant to vapourwave I think.

far side virtual meets r+7

There's this particular place, where you become completely lost in the "right now" and it all just feels incredibly right, and the characteristics of this particular moment form the fabrics of your entire reality. You have entered the universe of the burnt freezer pizza crust in the 11PM, the universe of the throat vomit toilet bowl linoleum, the universe of the bumpy white wall paint

And of course it's always there, like there's constantly the potential to get entirely lost in the eternity of right now - and maybe the idea that we ever aren't in that state is a clever ruse designed to make the game more interesting. But there is this sense, sometimes, that to attempt to describe this state is to step away from it. To reach for it is to reach away from it. Even to become aware of it is to watch it escape. Everything is a reflection of your ultimate truth & it's the only thing you can be & it's the only thing you can't see

So this puts vapourwave in a percarious position for me, because the genre revolves (perhaps subconsciously?) around this notion of becoming absorbed in the moment - taking familiar bits of cultural run-off & focusing in on them like a microscope...closer, closer, attempting to bring out the microscopic atmospheres within atmospheres within atmospheres, taking something old and making it say something new just to show how it's all the same all the time

But what happens when it becomes self-aware? I don't mean - "oh yeah, haha, we're gonna do weird stuff to 80s music" - that's real. That's an expression of my generation right now. I mean when it gets to "oh, vapourwave, yeah that's some deep art shit innit? all fractalizing the universe & shit"? What happens then? Maybe that's why culture keeps mutating - because the magic keeps escaping. Enlightenment slips through your fingers again & again, the thing that took you to that place stops working. You made it stop working. Because it's time to search for the next signpost

Man you get it. It's the same thing about the moment, like having nothing to do, nothing to claim for yourself, just getting really absorbed at 2am with something that is mundane/mystical. The music is great as long as you don't think about it too much, and yet here we are, writing a Tome about it. I blame you. You are the first person that ever said the term to me, on soundcloud.

What do you think of Yasuaki Shimizu's album "Music for Commercials"? It's not vapourwave, but actual music for 80's Japanese commercials, actually more electronic than soft jazz, but still relevant to vapourwave I think.

this is really good stuff. Idk about all you folks but I'm gonna pull out 'that' card and say I unironically and authentically was enjoying music like this as well as new age before I even knew what IDMs were, so yeah that's that

Brilliant.

All it takes is 1 second of getting lost in the moment and that second can feel like a blissful eternity.

Thanks guys. Y'know, truth be told tho, I spend way more time thinking about vapourwave as a philisophical concept than I do actually listening to the stuff. Probably cuz

A. in the past there have been things that struck close to my own ideals, & I'd develop a neurosis towards them. As in, I'd go out of my way to avoid the stuff for fear of getting sucked into the aesthetic tropes of the thing & losing sight of what I really wanted to do

B. I've gotten to the point where, unless you're one of the five or so people I still remember to follow online (sup shea), I probably won't get around to listening to your stuff unless you put out some sorta physical release. And vapourwave often prefers the "youtube channel, bandcamp page, random mp3s on a minimally designed .tk site linked in my sig cough cough" model of distribution

I think I have 30 bucks on my paypal. QUICK NAME $30 WORTH OF GODTIER VAPOURWAVE AVAILABLE ON CD/CASSETTE/FLOPPY DISC

Edited by Cryptowen

B. I've gotten to the point where, unless you're one of the five or so people I still remember to follow online (sup shea), I probably won't get around to listening to your stuff unless you put out some sorta physical release. And vapourwave often prefers the "youtube channel, bandcamp page, random mp3s on a minimally designed .tk site linked in my sig cough cough" model of distribution

I think I have 30 bucks on my paypal. QUICK NAME $30 WORTH OF GODTIER VAPOURWAVE AVAILABLE ON CD/CASSETTE/FLOPPY DISC

I'm the same way. It seems superficial, but to me it's a red flag (in a good way) if one has put out a cassette or CD-R or LP that they really feel the music was worth the time and effort to release in a physical format. Like, it dampens any "novelty" or "gimmick" or "pisstake" aspect of the music to a certain degree.

still missin the bests that way

::::~ ::::~:::: ~:::: ~:::: ~:::: ~

A. in the past there have been things that struck close to my own ideals, & I'd develop a neurosis towards them. As in, I'd go out of my way to avoid the stuff for fear of getting sucked into the aesthetic tropes of the thing & losing sight of what I really wanted to do

This used to cripple me, especially during late 2010, early 2011. It was a crisis to me. I finally let go and moved on, and it's probably for the better. I feel like I am closer to a true form of something now.

dep_4809746-Red-haired-girl-in-90s-colou

^This one nails that 1999/2000 look well. All that's missing is a VW Bug and a 1st gen iMac. I love that there is a depositfiles watermark on each one.

JMiydfh.jpg

Thus us amazin! Looking at this makes me so happy. I like that Nebraska is the screenshot too.

The space coyote + shades looks inadvertently lot like Poochie, which is appropriate because Poochie encapsulates mid-90s corporate faux-hipness.

Poochie.png

Edited by joshuatx

It's insane for me to even acknowledge this, but felt that way about chillwave and to a certain extent witch-house and now very much about vaporwave and beat scene music. There's stuff that is super encouraging and inspiring about the music but also like...I didn't want to put myself in a bubble either. Years and years ago I had messed around with samples and came up with a few tunes (sketched out a lot in my head and in notes) that I never recorded that were very much akin to those genres...but I never committed them to a recording. Until recently I would often struggle with what I'll make in terms of style and aesthetic (this actually crippled my ability finish a few remixes I tried in earnest - the Radiohead contest ones specifically).

The one thing I find so wonderful about vaporwave and bedroom producers in general is how much of a "fuck it attitude" is attached. The current state of releasing music is a double-edge sword: you have to sell yourself more than ever to get noticed BUT you have more freedom and outlets to do so than ever before. So this movement in particular seemed to focus on the latter and by doing so there's something very primal in it's ethos. It's like back to square one of say, an individual making music for himself. A kid with a bandcamp account in 2013 not yet heard by anyone but himself is like a blues musician in the 1930s with a guitar not yet recorded by a travelling musicologist. And since people can (in theory) put out digital copies out there indefinitely, it could finally be that we're at a time in human history where all ideas will be recorded and the next chapter will be trying to sort them out and uncover everything to extent never before undertaken.

The other thing that's so striking is that there's smaller and smaller middle-ground in the way music is made in terms of style. I think people are now either actually putting out pure music - not something they actively tailor to fit a certain expectations OR they are so committed to getting noticed they will actively research and create music from scratch specifically to emulate specific artists and genres. You can do either very easily now. In the past a lot of creativity was in-between: people trying to re-create what influenced them but being constrained by technological or media limitations. Things like 303 acid or shoegaze guitar or breakbeats in hip-hop were found through happy accidents and improvised efforts - now anyone can look up a song on google and figure out how to emulate it exactly. That's probably why so many are going back to hardware and analog equipment or simply fucking around with vsts and software or both. That's why the state of music now is so exciting...the hard part is finding the diamonds in the rough.

(I've put off messing with music for awhile - though now more than ever I've made a plan to finally record and release some music. There's no rat race for me get noticed, especially now that niche labels (especially tape ones) and regional scenes of underground musicians seem to be flourishing. I just want to make record music, put it on a physical format, and know that I've made something.)

The one thing I find so wonderful about vaporwave and bedroom producers in general is how much of a "fuck it attitude" is attached. It's like back to square one of say, an individual making music for himself. A kid with a bandcamp account in 2013 not yet heard by anyone but himself is like a blues musician in the 1930s with a guitar not yet recorded by a travelling musicologist.

This is something I sometimes forget, when I get all obsessed with finding the truest self-expression, or repeatedly deleting my old stuff to make room for some hypothetical improvement. Then I step back & think, "wait, there's no such thing as false self-expression! It's true because I expressed it! And why do I care about other people giving me a pat on the back for a track well done? I like it, & I like the way it looks on the internet. That's justification enough"

Now, like you said, it does make things a little more difficult for the listener. But honestly, I generally only run into the chaff when I go on hobbyist sites like EKT or Soundcloud, where some of it really tickles my pickle but most of it just...really doesn't, & I don't want to go & take a big dump on somebody's work if they're obvious happy with their own act of expression.

Other than that, I feel like I'm in a constant goldrush of cool music. I can open any "now listening" thread or check any indie review site or browse youtube for 10 minutes & find exciting stuff I'd never heard of. My general rule of thumb is, if people who don't know the artist personally are talking about it, it might be worth checking out.

...and maybe that's why I sometimes get all finicky about my own stuff? Because strangers on the internet aren't going on about how swampthing my tracks are, & I start thinking "oh no i'm other people's chaff". But that's just the narcissistic part of me, the part that demands outside validation that really doesn't matter in the big scheme

Other than that, I feel like I'm in a constant goldrush of cool music. I can open any "now listening" thread or check any indie review site or browse youtube for 10 minutes & find exciting stuff I'd never heard of. My general rule of thumb is, if people who don't know the artist personally are talking about it, it might be worth checking out.

...and maybe that's why I sometimes get all finicky about my own stuff? Because strangers on the internet aren't going on about how swampthing my tracks are, & I start thinking "oh no i'm other people's chaff". But that's just the narcissistic part of me, the part that demands outside validation that really doesn't matter in the big scheme

I feel you. I always have to remind myself that us artists are our own worst enemies when it comes to self-validation, being proud of our work, getting noticed etc. I would imagine even top selling artists have issues where things just aren't how they envision them, or theyre not appreciated in the ideal way they want to be.

As far as the constant gold rush of music to be discovered on the web/youtube/soundcloud, I couldn't agree more, and here's what I can't process:

How there are these what seems like endless amounts of innovative artists with reeeally good melodies, really groovy beats, and really great production, sound design, AND mixing... AND it's all mastered at really competitive levels while still retaining dynamics. But that's not the part that I can't process- It's the fact these songs are put out by what seems to be bedroom producer kids with NO label, NO funding (that Im aware of), probably not tons of experience considering their younger ages and rookie-ness to the music scene, AND no time (unless they're trust fund babies or lottery winnners), to properly execute an immaculate production. I just don't get it. Do these guys not have to work? Albums and singles don't sell anymore, so unless they're getting money from licensing or touring, I don't understand how they're supporting themselves fully on just making amazing music. Are they working from home part time on their own schedule and making enough to get by? Even with that, I can't imagine having the resources and time to make a commercial-grade (in terms of production/mixing/mastering) package in such small amounts of time, out of nowhere. And then these videos, don't even get started. Oh and then on top of all this PROMOTING it all and reaching wide range of indie music circles?!?!? I'm baffled. Unless there's some kind of hidden formula here that I'm not aware of-- (presets, patches, loops, and sound design that they just open up folders of and click and then done, a certain video director who charges like 100 dollars for a pro-grade highly creative video, and some kind of special VIP pass of access to every influential indie music blog... but I don't buy that.)

Edited by Lane Visitor

I can't imagine having the resources and time to make a commercial-grade (in terms of production/mixing/mastering) package in such small amounts of time

I dunno. I can easily support myself working 15h a week at minimum wage. At that rate you don't have much lying around for partying or fancy food or whatever, but if you're balls deep in making tracks it doesn't matter so much. Or, looking at the flipside, a person can work 40 hours a week & then spend another 40 hours making tracks & sleep 6h a night & live off canned beans, if they're mad dedicated

But honestly, I think it has nothing to do with time spent. I see guys out there, beatmakers usually, who brag about how they're in the studio most of the time, & their stuff's just kinda boring to me...I don't mean "meh, not my taste" boring, but "jeez there just isn't much to this" boring

What it really comes down to is putting as much of yourself into the music as possible. Full-assing it, so to speak. Like, I don't know much about playing piano but the only time I feel like I'm doing it right is when I convince myself, "okay, you're about to die, & this is the only tool you've got to express all that stuff you think about but never say". That's the mindset, I think. But you've gotta work it a lot, like a muscle, so it goes from 'youngin with stars in his eyes' to 'damn dis man be spittin fire'

I can't imagine having the resources and time to make a commercial-grade (in terms of production/mixing/mastering) package in such small amounts of time

I dunno. I can easily support myself working 15h a week at minimum wage. At that rate you don't have much lying around for partying or fancy food or whatever, but if you're balls deep in making tracks it doesn't matter so much. Or, looking at the flipside, a person can work 40 hours a week & then spend another 40 hours making tracks & sleep 6h a night & live off canned beans, if they're mad dedicated

But honestly, I think it has nothing to do with time spent. I see guys out there, beatmakers usually, who brag about how they're in the studio most of the time, & their stuff's just kinda boring to me...I don't mean "meh, not my taste" boring, but "jeez there just isn't much to this" boring

What it really comes down to is putting as much of yourself into the music as possible. Full-assing it, so to speak. Like, I don't know much about playing piano but the only time I feel like I'm doing it right is when I convince myself, "okay, you're about to die, & this is the only tool you've got to express all that stuff you think about but never say". That's the mindset, I think. But you've gotta work it a lot, like a muscle, so it goes from 'youngin with stars in his eyes' to 'damn dis man be spittin fire'

Yeah, I hear you. That's what it's all about. It's simple. Hard work. Good old fashioned. The other sad, but true fact:

A. Music

B. Job

C. Girlfriend/Boyfriend/Family

Pick 1 and with hard work and dedication, you can be outstanding at it.

Pick 2 and with hard work and dedication, you can do pretty good at both of them, or really good at just one, or really good at the other.

Pick all 3 and with hard work and dedication, you'll either be mediocre at all of them, bad at one and average at 2, or really good at one, average at the other and really bad at the other.

lol

Now that I completely derailed this 16 page thread, sorry everyone, im notoriously fantastic at derailing watmm threads.

Anyway, back to vaporwave... ~~~~~~

Edited by Lane Visitor