IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

The one thing I find so wonderful about vaporwave and bedroom producers in general is how much of a "fuck it attitude" is attached. It's like back to square one of say, an individual making music for himself. A kid with a bandcamp account in 2013 not yet heard by anyone but himself is like a blues musician in the 1930s with a guitar not yet recorded by a travelling musicologist.

This is something I sometimes forget, when I get all obsessed with finding the truest self-expression, or repeatedly deleting my old stuff to make room for some hypothetical improvement. Then I step back & think, "wait, there's no such thing as false self-expression! It's true because I expressed it! And why do I care about other people giving me a pat on the back for a track well done? I like it, & I like the way it looks on the internet. That's justification enough"

Interesting thoughts here! If you take a long view of history, we might eventually say that the 20th century was an anomalous in the way that music became a lucrative commercial industry, and that artistic self-expression returning back to mostly being a form of folk-art is a more natural state of affairs.

Wow, this thread contains some very in-depth analysis of this trend, and i really dig it. That's why i love this forum :)

Btw, can someone help me find a vaporwave video, an old one : girls in spandex dancing, from a club promo vhs or something like that, and the soundtrack was replaced with a vaporwave track, and i think the title of the video was "Happy Birthday !", or there was inserts saying happy birthday during the video. I remember it was posted in the Youtube thread on this forum, one or two years ago...

Not bad but I prefer the original DKC track. I still think something in this vein can be done with that sample, though... Anyway, the video is really cool, love that aesthetic (besides the contrivedness of the fake loading animation, I really wish vapourwave realised its non-ironic potential.)

Not bad but I prefer the original DKC track. I still think something in this vein can be done with that sample, though... Anyway, the video is really cool, love that aesthetic (besides the contrivedness of the fake loading animation, I really wish vapourwave realised its non-ironic potential.)

Nice catch. I agree, and it will realize that potential. It will. Not many people are aware of it right now.

We should have a thread for all 1) recent 2) largely sample-driven music 3) informed by pop-cultural artifacts from the past 30 years which are linked to advances in technology and which somehow lurk in the background, and outside "good taste", despite their pervasiveness. I know seapunk is not quite vapourwave is not quite chillwave but to me it makes sense to discuss Vektroid next to OPN next to Dreams West, if anything as conflicting approaches to a similar thing.

That Banshee track has grown on me, anyway... at first I found the drums a bit off-putting because the original is so ambient, but I've got used to it now. Good stuff.

We should have a thread for all 1) recent 2) largely sample-driven music 3) informed by pop-cultural artifacts from the past 30 years which are linked to advances in technology and which somehow lurk in the background, and outside "good taste", despite their pervasiveness.

This is that, is it not? Three seconds loop of 80s informercial music slowed down with reverb is nice, but vapourwave is much more interesting when it's used as a label for all current/post-hipster deconstructions of nostalgia.

I've been considering the audio/visual relationship, & how the internet allows that to propagate in all sorts of bold new directions. VWave is a prime example, with tracks often defined as much by video/image as by the music itself.

bbbbut, the vast majority of it is channelled through Youtube, a site that feels increasingly corporate, over-designed, & garish - and not in a vaporwave way. To evolve as an artistic medium onto itself, the internet will transcend the current WEB_2.0/social media paradigm. I don't necessarily mean going back to everyone having a dotcom, but some change. Cuz right now it's like watching chefs cook soufflé in the back of a McDonald's