IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

but ok, here is some other stuff that i really dig that's not on the whole corporate/smooth jazz tip:

http://youtu.be/96TYjnJ8h-s

^ that kate bush sample looped over and over w/ cindy crawford and tyra banks floating upwards drinking pepsi is just pure heaven.

Sorry if any of these were already posted.

Lots of the press about vaporwave is just a few skeletal fragments of what is in my head about it. Makes me feel reassured that people have only co-opted the easiest elements, all of that made-up capitalism commentary. Of course that is there for some people, but it's much more about the relationship between hoped-for/actual realities to me, or an exploration of how unfulfilled dreams are still out there.

I really question this statement from a vice article:

Unlike seapunk, vaporwave is actually “punk,” in that it’s driven by a subversive political objective: undermining the iron grip of global capitalism… by exposing the alienating emptiness underneath its uncanny sheen.

Of course that is there and is interesting, but those are connections being made by "writers." Most of the stuff I like wasn't made with the intention of making music that can be classified as vaporwave and thus some how topple big corps.

If there is going to be a narrative, there should be many, not just antiglobalism.

Absolutely,

For me, call it vaporwave, experimental, ambient, dreamy electronica, weird retro stuff, ironic elevator muzak lol whatever...

example- this:

http://disconscious.bandcamp.com/album/hologram-plaza

it's the sound, mood, feel, atmosphere, art that primarily captures me- not whatever political/social statement or categorization that it might be saying. I will say, that there is something that pulls me in the direction of the whole cold, vacant, corporate schmaltz wrapped in a warped, eerie, but some how comfy vibe. when you can't tell what era it's from, that's what i like. because it takes away the attachments in my mind when im listening. i think many of these artists have properly executed that aspect of their productions

whether it's sample-based or composed, i don't really care.. but they've managed to do something i find interesting, and I think it speaks to many people that are discovering it.

Yeah I like that Hologram Plaza.

END OF LIFE ENTERTAINMENT SCENARIO is probably in my personal top 10 most influential pieces of art. That and Angel. Daniel has a way with music (SO excited to see him in January, 600 person venue).

I also had one of the top comments on it for awhile somehow.

but ok, here is some other stuff that i really dig that's not on the whole corporate/smooth jazz tip:

END OF LIFE ENTERTAINMENT SCENARIO is probably in my personal top 10 most influential pieces of art. That and Angel. Daniel has a way with music (SO excited to see him in January, 600 person venue).

This thread came full circle, 10 days shy of a year!

^ that kate bush sample looped over and over w/ cindy crawford and tyra banks floating upwards drinking pepsi is just pure heaven.

Sorry if any of these were already posted.

Really good vaporwave intro: 90s novelty drinks and Kate Bush are staples, like the amen break and hoover stab of this realm.

unintentional/unironic Kate Bush Fruitopia ad:

http://youtu.be/l_bvwsqUHCo

not vaporwave, but I've always felt the Field was remarkably similar to some OPN by coincidence, this was his first big track and it's built around a Kate Bush sample:

Edited by joshuatx

Seriously if you had asked me when this topic started I probably would have said like 3-5 months ago.

I think there was a good lull in between before it picked up again

*cough* Exai then Tomorrow's Harvest *cough*

so I did some research and it turns out every single artist/producer we've talked about on this thread is in fact an alias of Richard. It's merely 1/16th of of his "new material". Wow, Afx is such a pioneer that a series of random underground releases he anonymously put out over the last year have spawned an entire microgenre itself, christianed as "vaporwave" by "dumb journalists", as rdj himself mockingly put it (in a short interview i did with him).

Oh, also, half of the material that these sample-based releases derives from are not actually 80s disco/pop tracks, but rather they are also Richard's own "pre-tracks" that he made in order to "sample" them for the new tracks.

It goes far back though.. Even James Ferraro is Rich. -- hence the "james", all the R's, and similar letters.

And for the record, "seapunk" was of course nothing less than a direct result of the major influence of Analords and The Tuss... actually, every single "seapunk" release was simply an Analord outtake disguised as a wide array of individual artists.

So there you have it, rdj is everwhere. (:

Edited by Lane Visitor

http://youtu.be/FuCloea96Mg

I think I put this on practically every day of the summer when DL first posted it.

yeah, i hear you. it's damn good. the classics lol. how about Macintosh Plus? I know it's obvious, being that she's one of the biggest in the genre, but I for one, love Floral Shoppe. I must have listened to the second track a thousand times. It never gets old. Diana Ross slowed down. Who woulda thought? lol

nice finds! beautiful ambiance in the jonomilo one, and the e and e one has gorgeous synth progression there... definitely some innovative imaginative stuff.. i dig the chatter/background sounds around all of these... makes it dreamy.

ooh yay, a new release posted on f500's bandcamp:

"Audio": a split album between General Translator and Dystopian Chic.

http://fortune500.bandcamp.com/album/audio

The sound, imo:

The soundtrack that Sofia Coppola would compile if she was remaking Big Trouble In Little China in the midst of toking up and playing Ninja Gaiden, with Massive Attack's Danny The Dog playing in the background.

a0512871357_2.jpg

Edited by Lane Visitor

Guest jasondonervan

I think Vektroid's other stuff is better than Mac Plus. This is one of my favorite releases ever.

Co-signed. I even managed to capture a physical copy of these vapors...

iN6kH6273rtCx.jpg

I think Vektroid's other stuff is better than Mac Plus. This is one of my favorite releases ever.

Co-signed. I even managed to capture a physical copy of these vapors...

iN6kH6273rtCx.jpg

whaaat? im pretty sure I saw that on discogs the other day going for like $220.. where'd ya find this?

this will be the most vaporeware song I'll ever do, and it still probably doesn't classify. Ambient music made from plundered synthesizer recordings from 1955-1985

Edited by John Ehrlichman