IGNORED

Considering an iPad mini

wahrk

iOS music apps are fun, but they're not really up to speed to interact with full fledged DAWs 'easily' IMO. Exceptions might be Cubasis and Fruity Loops Mobile (not sure if that's what it's called)... there are other 'DAWs' on iOS that allow you to export wav files for each track in your composition (NanoStudio does this I believe), but transfer easily to Live... I haven't found anything.

People balk about making music with a mouse - let me tell you - it's a hell of a lot easier with a mouse and keyboard than with a touchscreen and a bunch of stand-alone VSTs (which is basically what iOS music apps still are) that, until very recently, could barely even communicate with one another on the same device.

Best use of an iPad in a music studio (IMO): TouchOSC or Lemur. THAT is something that only a device like an iPad can deliver, and it does it pretty damn well too.

Also, has anyone checked out this app? Fucking fun I tell ya, OP-1 in app form.

I really like Samplr, picked it up a couple weeks ago and it's turning into a mainstay for me.

Almost all of this is made on iPad. iElectribe->Audiobus->Audulus custom modular patches==swishy drum sounds. Korg iPolysix and PPG Wavegenerator. The mix is a tad off kilter due to a good chunk of this being mixed originally on headphones on public transit, not in my studio.. tho I did a little bit of corrective EQing before recording this in Auria DAW. Anyway it's not a full on replacement for a computer, but I'm having a lot of fun on the go these days.

I've also been getting into SunVox a bit, although it seems to have a weird bit crushing effect on everything it does (Maybe just during live playback) so I find it limited.

Archived