IGNORED

Burial - Truant / Rough Sleeper

Tauhid

I am, however, happy to hear Skrillex expanding his repertoire. I am VERY curious to hear Skrillex's take on the IDM tropes that were supposedly so influential for him.

Can't wait for his AFX tribute.

maybe we have already heard it....... Steinvord! ;)

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This makes me appreciate Burial all the more. Using the same palette as Burial Skrillex has made a fairly banal (albeit well produced) track.

I am, however, happy to hear Skrillex expanding his repertoire. I am VERY curious to hear Skrillex's take on the IDM tropes that were supposedly so influential for him.

I don't know that I'd call it well produced. Sounds incredibly cheesy - it's a heap of VSTs and on-the-grid programming with filter build-ups. Compare this with Rough Sleeper.

Compared to Burial which is a heap of VSTs and off-the-grid programming :p

Skrillex has production chops and likely a lot more technical ability than Burial does... Of course we all know technical ability and production chops don't necessarily translate into interesting and emotionally engaging compositions.

I play this cd over and over. It bewitches me. I don't see the point in breaking it into 2 tracks, I just see it as one.

I think it effects me like being wide awake but dreaming. I remember a lot of my dreams and sometimes they skitter sharply between themes and places, this is like one of those dreams that never settles.

I've never really listened to music that has ths effect on me. BOC perhaps, but Burial for me is another level.

flol seriously? No. I'm embarrassed even for whoever uploaded that haha

Edit:

It's not a horrible track though I have to admit. A bit too noisy for my tastes I must say.

i still don't get Burial. Its not bad music i just don't how people are emotionally connecting to it, it feels very samey to me.
Maybe i have to be british to understand the importance of garage music or something, but i just feel like music that samples so many female vocal sounds is kinda cheap. I also couldn't get into the new Andy Stott for similar reasons. There are people who do it exceedingly well like Machinedrum on rooms, but more often than not it feels like a very low-end easy way to make an average song sound 'pop' with little effort. I still think Burial's first album is a very strong work and relied far less on plundered pop vocal samples.

Guest bitroast

I'm not British.

I adore andy stotts recent material. And burial too. Im not too cluey as to what garage is:/

Imo, stott > burial. There's just this sheer beauty/power in the dirtiness and wrongness of his dirty, fwizzled dance tracks. It's almost a sound that I've had in my head and wanting for it to exist for a awhile now. It's hard to explain what it is exactly or why I love it, but when I first heard his recent 2011 EPs, it just instantly clicked. I'm guessing, other people have similar reasonings as to why they love burial. That certain indescribable 'something'. Not referring to the wood block.

i still don't get Burial. Its not bad music i just don't how people are emotionally connecting to it, it feels very samey to me.

Maybe i have to be british to understand the importance of garage music or something, but i just feel like music that samples so many female vocal sounds is kinda cheap. I also couldn't get into the new Andy Stott for similar reasons. There are people who do it exceedingly well like Machinedrum on rooms, but more often than not it feels like a very low-end easy way to make an average song sound 'pop' with little effort. I still think Burial's first album is a very strong work and relied far less on plundered pop vocal samples.

All I can say is that I know how you feel. When I first downloaded Untrue after my friends recommended it, I just didn't understand it. It felt really fake and unimpressive. But then I gave it another shot and listened to Etched Headplate during math because it was the one song I liked. I kept listening to it because somehow it helped me concentrate, it was nice and spacey and warm. And then the rainy Oregon days started fizzling in as the weeks went by and on one particular day, when I was in a really shitty mood, I put it on and everything just clicked.

For me, it's the connection between the music and rainy streets of the city/suburb at night that gets me. The feeling of being a ghost riding your bike between the golden kitchen lights of suburban houses and condos, the streets empty, families eating dinner or already asleep, completely unaware of your brief presence as you breeze through their neighborhood. Seeing the city lights reflect off the waterfront in a fireworks of wavering artificiality, and the ramifications that artificiality has on us as people, I feel is what Burial's music brings me/others closer to. He almost gives the "loners and drifters of the night" (lol sounds angsty) a voice, using the crooning vocals of some distant, androgynous singer* that is "buried" beneath the metallic clicks, clacks, and groaning** of the beat and the bass, and lastly the soft, ambient vinyl hiss faded into the backdrop***.

*the singer, to me, representing the human element

**the metallic noises representing the metallic city that surrounds and buries us

***the vinyl hiss representing the rain, which will ultimately prevail, as we all know, water = the ultimate erosion and decay of our concrete empire. Also rainy days generally fucking suck, especially if you have no choice but to be exposed to the rain and cold. Or if you're homeless.

Not to get all pretentiously poetic and shit, but that's the way it resonates with me personally.

Edit:

If you don't want to read my emotional/sensitive./weepy wall of text: Basically, Burial knows how to personify the feeling of a rainy city day into song. :cisfor:

Guest catharsis

I feel exactly the same way. Usually when people I normally agree with (on musical tastes) are all over something, I give the music a fair shake until it usually "clicks" with me one day. Gas and The Field fell into this category I must say.

But quite honestly, it sounds way to cheap, samey, and poppy to me. I get the feeling that there is something nostalgic about this music....but only if you grew up around UK Garage. And like you I agree, I don't mind Burial's self-titled album, but Untrue and the rest are kinda meh.

Funny you mention Gas because I feel the same way about both artists and the way they conjure really deep, very ‘musical’ stuff out of simple / lo-fi / strangely ruined situations.

I think with Burial you have to just ignore the FUCK out of the hype because it just go so insane there. To me, the new stuff just speaks super hard, in a super musical way. It’s like off-the-grid and really pastiche, but in a way that is just super full of intention and to me contains a lot of musical meat and content.

But things being ‘poppy’ or not doesn’t really bother me.

Funny you mention Gas because I feel the same way about both artists and the way they conjure really deep, very ‘musical’ stuff out of simple / lo-fi / strangely ruined situations.

I think with Burial you have to just ignore the FUCK out of the hype because it just go so insane there. To me, the new stuff just speaks super hard, in a super musical way. It’s like off-the-grid and really pastiche, but in a way that is just super full of intention and to me contains a lot of musical meat and content.

Well said.

Initially when Burials second album released I found it interesting, few songs I would return to, but overall too samey. It wasn't until the Kindred EP where his style started to go in a more progressive direction. Truant to me is his peak so far. So I once agreed with the argument his stuff is too samey, now I see it as defined but vast emotional and structural landscape/language that subtly can paint the full spectrum.

Well said.

Initially when Burials second album released I found it interesting, few songs I would return to, but overall too samey. It wasn't until the Kindred EP where his style started to go in a more progressive direction. Truant to me is his peak so far. So I once agreed with the argument his stuff is too samey, now I see it as defined but vast emotional and structural landscape/language that subtly can paint the full spectrum.

I think Kode9's stuff is really either samey or just shite. Or both. Totally put me in musical perspective when I listened to some of his stuff.

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

The thing that attracts me to Burial, Actress, Andy Stott et al. is that they have this ability to recontextualise popular styles. The only way that I can describe it is that, for Burial especially, it's the sound of walking home late at night from work and hearing all those little glimpses of shit music blaring out from blocks of flats, estates and cars driving past, then digging out the small but decent qualities of the music and building from there.

I think the disjointed, slapping loads of ideas together sound of this EP actually does it a lot of favours, it almost sounds identical to driving though the city whilst pirate stations blend in and out of each other all broadcasting on similar frequencies. I'm not sure if this was expanded as a full album it would be that effective in giving off that sort of vibe.

Im digging these so far, they do have a collage-ish element to them but I think overall they do come together. However, I think I still prefer Kindred and Street Halo a little more

Archived