IGNORED

Star Trek Into Darkness

Rubin Farr

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two leading theories are that Cumberbatch plays either Khan which is ridiculous since his last name was Singh and his background was Indian. The other is that it's Gary Mitchell from TOS episode, which is why there's a blonde female science officer as well. Theres a conflict there, because the IDW movie spin off comics have already dealt with Mitchell in its first story arc, and killed him off.

A52EB23A-51BB-49CE-B33D-170B5F84B1C0-663

I'm hoping it's an entirely new character or maybe a way to work in the Q? Hoping it's not an Abrams letdown.

I liked the last one, so I'll probably see this one.

Why does it sound like Patrick Stewart is talking at the beginning of the trailer?

because it's actually the Borg Locutus, in the alternate timeline a younger Picard became the Locutus, and since he knows everything about Star Fleet the Borg sent him back in time to kill Kirk and his crew. It's basically mashup of First Contact & Nemesis, except this time Cumberbatch is playing a young Picard, not Bane/Tom Hardy (but they have Patrick Stewart doing all the ADR). JJ Abrahams pulled the ultimate nerd move, the biggest kept secret for this movie that no one is talking about is Data, Worf and Riker make cameos in a flash forward scene played by the original actors from The Next Generation. For the whole movie Guinan is present, both in the present (with young kirk and bones, etc) as a starfleet officer and in the future(?) on the Enterprise with no Picard (although she has knowledge of the timeline we all saw on on the series where Picard was only Locutus for a moment, she later explains this to Data, Worf and Riker in a touching scene reminiscent of 'All Good things'). The surprise ending is Shyamalan esque because we find out Q was responsible for everything we just saw and he confronts young Kirk and Guinan and let's them choose 4 team-mates of their choice against his 4 opponents for a final battle which will take place on Vulcan while T'pau watches from a throne. Kirk chooses : Spock & Mark Twain . Guinan chooses Trelane & Captain Cisco . Q chooses : Khan, The Caretaker, Gary Mitchell, Lore & Moriarty (he breaks his own rules and chooses one extra). They each stand on either side of an arena holding only only Lirpas. The fight scene is pretty amazing, but i won't spoil the rest.

because it's actually the Borg Locutus, in the alternate timeline a younger Picard became the Locutus, and since he knows everything about Star Fleet the Borg sent him back in time to kill Kirk and his crew. It's basically mashup of First Contact & Nemesis, except this time Cumberbatch is playing a young Picard, not Bane/Tom Hardy (but they have Patrick Stewart doing all the ADR). JJ Abrahams pulled the ultimate nerd move, the biggest kept secret for this movie that no one is talking about is Data, Worf and Riker make cameos in a flash forward scene played by the original actors from The Next Generation. For the whole movie Guinan is present, both in the present (with young kirk and bones, etc) as a starfleet officer and in the future(?) on the Enterprise with no Picard (although she has knowledge of the timeline we all saw on on the series where Picard was only Locutus for a moment, she later explains this to Data, Worf and Riker in a touching scene reminiscent of 'All Good things'). The surprise ending is Shyamalan esque because we find out Q was responsible for everything we just saw and he confronts young Kirk and Guinan and let's them choose 4 team-mates of their choice against his 4 opponents for a final battle which will take place on Vulcan while T'pau watches from a throne. Kirk chooses : Spock & Mark Twain . Guinan chooses Trelane & Captain Cisco . Q chooses : Khan, The Caretaker, Gary Mitchell, Lore & Moriarty (he breaks his own rules and chooses one extra). They each stand on either side of an arena holding only only Lirpas. The fight scene is pretty amazing, but i won't spoil the rest.

RIDLEY SCOTT: "brilliant!"

first abrams trek was OK. it was a little too showy for me. the old star trek seemed to do such a great job convincing you of the authenticity of the science, which created a more realistic experience. i don't think that was really the case in the last trek, but the story/characters/nods to the series were acceptable.

i can't really come up with any legit criticisms other than the first one didn't feel quite right....

also hoping for Q cameo

Yeah, I bought into Star Trek on the basis of the original series, which dealt with faux-utopian societies and how they were flawed.

I liked the last one, but I'm not looking forward to watching explosions for two hours and then getting my ass Shyamalan'd.

all of the star trek movies besides a few exceptions turned the series into monotonous action set pieces and space battles rather than what made the show so great in the first place. Star Trek IV a Voyage home is probably the closest film to hit the tone of the original series, Insurrection was the closest to TNG but it was more like an average episode and didn't seem to validate a movie. Almost every other Trek movie including fan favorites like First Contact or Wrath of Khan have little to do with the the TV show tone or themes. Even the Wrath of Khan's continuity makes little sense in regards to Khan's first appearance on the show. Besides Spock 'dying' at the end, there is really no reason why people say Khan is the best Star Trek movie, it's pretty average.

It's too bad they never made a proper TNG movie that used time travel like the episodes Time's Arrow or All Good things. Generations is alright but has too many problems to classify as a 'proper' tng movie. Good thing JJ learned from these past mistakes and is having all of the action take place in the first 10 minutes leaving the rest for a mind fuck true science fiction plot involving Q.

Not sure I'll watch the trailer, but I'll watch the new film I reckon.

Never cared much for the old Star Trek stuff but I liked the new movie. Was just an action film really, but a really well paced, fun action film. The characters were likable and well acted. Very few complaints about it to be honest.

I have watched the Plinkett reviews of the TNG movies and they're brill. Also there's a new Plinkett review on redlettermedia.com and I highly recommend everyone watches it.

fanx

My favorite thing about Star Trek (The Next Generation specifically) was how it was all about figuring out a problem or or puzzle or getting out of some situation. This doesn't seem to be in that spirit at all.

i completely agree with Salvatorin's post. i've never been able to understand who this (new) star trek is marketed to because anyone who watched the original tv show and the spin-off series' would come in expecting something that at least fit into the star trek cannon and anyone that doesn't would... well, why the hell would they want to watch star trek if they never watched the tv show?

in some kind of twisted fate, roddenberry's vision of the future has completely been re-written into exactly what he was against, and the saddest part is that this will probably be (like the last film) more successful than the original movies that adhered to cannon

It's too bad they never made a proper TNG movie that used time travel like the episodes Time's Arrow or All Good things. Generations is alright but has too many problems to classify as a 'proper' tng movie. Good thing JJ learned from these past mistakes and is having all of the action take place in the first 10 minutes leaving the rest for a mind fuck true science fiction plot involving Q.

i think this had more to do with the studio (paramount) who are notoriously cheap. with the tv series, they felt they could re-coup their $1.5 million/episode budget due to the already locked audience and in syndication. with movies however, they always consider they're competing against whatever else is playing and that audience.

if suddenly people weren't so eager to go watch things like skyfall and dark knight rises and instead there was a huge increase in audiences watching heavy philosophical films you'd notice a "reboot" of the next generation and themes established that cater towards the politics and philosophy of star trek. unfortunately, the market says this rarely works. just look at how lincoln faired (and that's speilberg).

i think this had more to do with the studio (paramount) who are notoriously cheap. with the tv series, they felt they could re-coup their $1.5 million/episode budget due to the already locked audience and in syndication. with movies however, they always consider they're competing against whatever else is playing and that audience.

if suddenly people weren't so eager to go watch things like skyfall and dark knight rises and instead there was a huge increase in audiences watching heavy philosophical films you'd notice a "reboot" of the next generation and themes established that cater towards the politics and philosophy of star trek. unfortunately, the market says this rarely works. just look at how lincoln faired (and that's speilberg).

Lincoln had a pretty limited release tho

Probably will wait for this to be out on video. First one was forgettable and JJ hasn't shown much worth.

I don't think JJ Abrams is a very good director or writer, but I also don't think he's the guy to blame for Lost. Damon Lindelof was the show-runner and head writer.

Kurtzman and Orci aren't brilliant either, but they are much better writers than Lindelof. Fringe is campy fun mostly but it's better than Lost. Star Trek (2009) is campy fun mostly, but it's better than Prometheus. QED.

• 4 months later...

i like the massive enemy ship, hope the space battles rock

[youtubehd]5ec_rPApKCA[/youtubehd]

the massive enemy ship is none other than the Enterprise D. from the star trek the next generation. yes... shit just got real

stid-t5-55-tt.jpg

if that ship to the right isn't a TNG era enterprise, i will turn in my trekker carrying card immediately

i have to say, the trailer makes this film worse than i thought it could be. furthest thing from star trek since jj abrams being put in charge of star trek

Archived