IGNORED

Star Trek Into Darkness

Rubin Farr

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zaphod

i can't watch that trailer without cringing at the dead eyed screaming girl at 2.11

horrible acting right there

the massive enemy ship is none other than the Enterprise D. from the star trek the next generation. yes... shit just got real

stid-t5-55-tt.jpg

if that ship to the right isn't a TNG era enterprise, i will turn in my trekker carrying card immediately

turn it in sir.

then watch more TNG

no one is sure what kind of ship it is yet. a lot are saying it's something called a Dreadnought, some saying Excelsior class, others saying it's a new ship entirely or a highly modified version of another ship. but those are all essentially guesses, even the BIG time nerds aren't sure.

but really, those warp coils are WAY too big relative to the saucer section for it to be the Enterprise D

I feel that time travel is always face palmy when it happens in scifi and especially in Star Trek, but if you can somehow manage to watch the Star Trek: The Space Whales without thinking about the plot holes, bad science, etc then it's quite ok.

the time travel thing can definitely be overdone...as it surely has been in the past, Star Trek included. but when it's done well it can be great (series finale of TNG!) and interesting (new Star Trek Abrams films couldn't really work without the 'separate timeline' thing). that said, i think Abrams knows better than to use time travel as a crutch for everything cool to happen, and so i don't expect it to be a part of Into Darkness. we'll see soon enough though...i think it looks pretty damned good from the trailers.

Guest zaphod

VI is probably better than II, if we're going to be honest with ourselves. V is underrated. III is most likely the worst.

shit i forgot III lol

edit: ok so for me it's: II > VI > I > IV > III > V

if i'm taking into account all of the films it's:

II > VI > STAR TREK > I > IV > III > V > Generations > First Contact > Nemesis > Insurrection

Guest zaphod

i like all the classic films, the next gen ones are all pretty bad. the abrams one doesn't hold up on multiple viewings.

Abrams was OK. I like the OG movies in general. Maybe the first one was a bit too stretched out, at least if you watch the uncut version. Space Whales is stupid but fun. Generations was OK the last time I saw it like fifteen years ago (?) but rest of the TNG movies were pretty bad. The borg queen is just stupid in the First Contact and the rest are meh.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to be a downer, but my interest in seeing this movie has now shrunk down to zero. I guess JJ Abraham's 'secrecy' methods backfired on him this time, because the bad guy is Khan it turns out and the movie is essentially a remake and homage to Wrath of Khan (the first japanese trailer let out a lot o these clues, including a scene from Kirk and Spock touching through glass). Seems pretty lame to me, I'll wait till it comes out on video this time around.

Just seems to almost defeat the purpose of having an alternate timeline if you're just going to remake one of the old movies.

I'd love to see a studio with balls tackle the original Harlan Ellison script for Star Trek the Motion Picture that involves a massive time travel plot where the crew goes back to the prehistoric era, fights dinosaurs and ends up in the 1960s with Spock pulling the trigger to kill JFK.

edit: just my 2 cents, Generations I enjoy because it feels more like a weird episode than a typical star trek action film. I think it stands up in retrospect as probably the best TNG movie that follows the show's tone the closest.

Archived