IGNORED

Universal Indicator Artist ID?

murve33

Over the years people have stated several tracks in the Universal Indicator series were done by specific people. Of course, I never jotted any of it down. I know some are Aphex Twin, some are Mike Dredd, and some (like two or something) are Grant Wilson-Claridge. For all I know others were involved too.

So, which tracks belong to who? This isn't Jazz, is it?

Those two bits were as much as I knew.

I believe Joyrex said in an earlier thread (from this year I think) that Grant was responsible for a couple of tracks, but I can't find the thread anymore.

red is obviously afx to some extend because it says 'made at llannerlog'. also, from discogs

I met RDJ in late 2000 and asked him what Universal Indicator tracks were his. He answered: "half the tracks on the red one". I was surprised he didn't mention more. I asked: "nothing on the green one ?" since it is the most Aphexy-sounding to me. And he replied: "no... the red one". Maybe he was just messing with me, but 6 months ahead, he told me about the creation of his new MEN label (which came true) and confirmed the existence of the Q-Chastic double-12" with no plans to re-release it. This is what he said to me. What you believe is now up to you ! :)

blue and yellow were listed on mike dred's discog on his website

http://web.archive.org/web/20080509170941/http://mikedred.com/discog.htm

*ahem*

Red - Richard 100%

Green 12" 10" - Richard, 7" - Grant (was what the IG-88 proposed release ended up being - also probably explains why there were purple test pressings of just the 7", since it was intended as separate release)

Blue/Yellow - Mike Dred

• Like 1

Thanks, Joyrex.

Any idea how the tracks are divvied up on Innovation in the Dynamics of Acid? I've never understood that release, is it just a big mix of the other four discs? If there are no new tracks on that I might as well delete that off of my harddrive.

Thanks, Joyrex.

Any idea how the tracks are divvied up on Innovation in the Dynamics of Acid? I've never understood that release, is it just a big mix of the other four discs? If there are no new tracks on that I might as well delete that off of my harddrive.

It's a DJ mix, I mean it's kinda cool because of the transitions, and arguably easier to digest and more interesting than listening the full-lengths themselves. No new tracks though.

I use to have another DJ mix made by someone else of the UI tracks, downloaded from that Russian "afx" fan site that contained the entire RDJ discography (and also every AE remix up to that point) uploaded illegally back in like 2007 or so.

Edited by joshuatx

• 1 year later...

*ahem*

Red - Richard 100%

Green 12" 10" - Richard, 7" - Grant (was what the IG-88 proposed release ended up being - also probably explains why there were purple test pressings of just the 7", since it was intended as separate release)

Blue/Yellow - Mike Dred

Hi Joyrex, new here, but I've seen conflicting things on the Red one. One source says Aphex told him half the tracks were his and you note says all of them. Just wondering if Afx/Grant were your source or who's right ? Thanks. P.S. the forums are "quite good". :)

*ahem*

Red - Richard 100%

Blue/Yellow - Mike Dred

Hi Joyrex, new here, but I've seen conflicting things on the Red one. One source says Aphex told him half the tracks were his and you note says all of them. Just wondering if Afx/Grant were your source or who's right ? Thanks. P.S. the forums are "quite good". :)

I've wondered that too. Maybe there was additional mixing or sequencing by Mike Dred. I've read those are recordings from 88'-89' and not 1993 (which would be incredible and awesome) and if so then it's likely someone else helped with production, similar to how Tom Middleton collaborated with RDJ on Analogue Bubblebath in 1991.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 6:23 PM, Mattthegoone said:

The promo copies of blue have The Aphex Twin stamped on them

yeah and so do my farts

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 6:23 PM, Mattthegoone said:

The promo copies of blue have The Aphex Twin stamped on them

don't mind the snarky asshole response i gave earlier lmao, but for real, i think retailers were stamping the aphex name on the records to sell more copies. afaik blue and red had no labels or artist names whatsoever so i don't blame them.

• Like 1

does anyone else prefer the mike dred ones (Blue and Yellow) over aphex's?

richard got lazy or something, the green one is by far the worst UI record

lots of wasted potential in my opinion

Edited by Ski Nell