IGNORED

Midlife crisis

kakapo

46 minutes ago, kakapo said:

Right on cue.  So predictable.  He told me once he'd been on holiday to China and when he came back he could speak Chinese fluently and that's why he got free prawn crackers every time he got a takeaway.

That’s 100% true. I actually have so many excess bags of prawn crackers, I use them as void fill in my parcels. Postmistress Julie often comments on the delicious smell of my package. 

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

What is the story behind this legendary watmm rivalry?

The only legendary thing is Kakapo’s bad breath. It can make an onion cry. 

edit: plus Kakapo’s face looks like a squeezed teabag, and he has the charisma of Antony Worrall Thompson’s scrotum.

Edited by Plum
  • Haha 2

Sounds like you go to the post office quite a lot.  That etsy shop you set up at the beginning of the pandemic selling motivational crochet must be doing well.  Glad that worked out for you.

11 minutes ago, kakapo said:

Sounds like you go to the post office quite a lot.  That etsy shop you set up at the beginning of the pandemic selling motivational crochet must be doing well.  Glad that worked out for you.

That reminds me, I’ve finished crocheting that dildo you ordered. I’ll get it safely packed in prawn crackers and dropped off to postmistress Julie shortly.

Edited by Plum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'll be 40 this year, but I've always had a pretty easy-going attitude so I'm not sure when or if I'll get hit with the midlife crisis stuff.  I've always looked 10 years younger than I am and always felt young.  The Mrs. and I don't have kids (not through our own choice) so our lives have been pretty good thus far, but I'm starting to worry about what's going to happen to me when we're old and most of our family is gone.

The biggest thing weighing on me is probably my aging parents and the fact that my dad has an incurable degenerative lung disease.  It really sucks to see his health slowly deteriorate and to hear his mental struggles with the whole issue.  This thing is hereditary (four of his aunts and his sister died from it), so there's a chance that I am looking into the future when I see what's happening to him.

My dad was really screwed with retirement.  His company declared bankruptcy and cut all healthcare for retirees just before he was set to retire, so he had to work an extra 6 years to save for healthcare after retirement.  When he was finally able to retire, 6 months later he was diagnosed with this lung disease.  This affected me deeply and as a result, I'm saving like hell and planning on retiring at 55, which is probably do-able with no kids and some settlement money from the aforementioned issue which took away our choice of having children.  After retirement I'm hoping to move to the Pacific Northwest somewhere on Puget Sound where I can buy a small house on the side of a hill with a view of the sound.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, chenGOD said:

"Daddy, is seven plus seven fourteen?" Like where the fuck did that come from.

math questions are top of the list right now in our household. they range anywhere from "what's 2 plus 2" to "what's a million times infinity"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, zero said:

math questions are top of the list right now in our household. they range anywhere from "what's 2 plus 2" to "what's a million times infinity"

Yeah math questions are great I was just like..."we just finished reading Winnie the Pooh, it's lights out, and you're asking math questions? At least she got it right." Also, can you tell me what is 1000 million distance from here?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, randomsummer said:

I'll be 40 this year, but I've always had a pretty easy-going attitude so I'm not sure when or if I'll get hit with the midlife crisis stuff.  I've always looked 10 years younger than I am and always felt young.  The Mrs. and I don't have kids (not through our own choice) so our lives have been pretty good thus far, but I'm starting to worry about what's going to happen to me when we're old and most of our family is gone.

If it's any consolation, kids are not a guarantee against loneliness in old age. My experience working in the elderly sector made me pretty cynical on the matter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

I'm gonna be 30 in two days. Thank God. I'm just as much of a nomad/hermit as I was at 20, but back then I felt like there was something wrong with that. I thought there was something real & meaningful I had to discovery via culture, romantic relationships, etc. Now I see that all along I was the only person who could truly validate me. And honestly if anything I feel like I have more energy than I did a decade ago, because I take better care of myself + squander less of it on neurotic rumination + didn't go too deep into the usual self-destructive vices people attempt to find meaning with in their 20s (came up with a few of my own, tho)

also pisces may not be the most idm astrological sign but its definitely the most justin bieber slowed down 6000% astrological sign

We share a b-day, homie ?

I'm in my 40s now and I feel like most of my 30s were gradually ramping up to where I'm currently at... and that midlife crisis is kickin hard fer sher rn.

I wish I could give you some advice. Sounds like you're doing some stuff right. If there's one thing I would say it's probably to cut out the people/situations/environments that make you uncomfortable/self-critical now. Cut em out hard. Those things really eat at you later and might become some sticky situations. The earlier you do, the easier it is to change course. If you're on it already, then mad props to you!

I'm definitely the embodiment of pisces in just about every stereotypical way. For me, it feels nothing in my life like is really "together". I'm definitely at a career crossroads. I do have a baby now, which is great, but post-covid, I can't really imagine what my life will look like 5 years from now. I may end up being a stay at home dad, if my wife can swing the money stuff. We'll see.

If I was to change anything, I might want to have had a baby younger. I was terrified to have a baby most of my life but now I'm all in and love being a dad... but it's very hard on the 40+ body, bro. Babies are great, too. They don't have any judgement and they make you feel like you get a bit of a renewed lease on life because you can re-contextualize everything and pass off a second shot at the world to the next closest thing to yourself. They are super fun and magical. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

My mom's interpretation of the head-like-lettuce line was medieval torture, which was part of her justification for throwing my Angel Dust cassette in the garbage.

Haha yours too eh? My mom didn’t like the band name, she seemed to think they were saying not to have faith. I had a Faith No More poster on my door. She took it down and put up a poster that said “Hell Ain’t Cool”. I cut it up and pasted it back together to say “Ain’t Hell Cool” and ultimately won the war of passive aggression.

• Haha 3
  • Burger 1

fish crew represssent

30 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

If there's one thing I would say it's probably to cut out the people/situations/environments that make you uncomfortable/self-critical now. Cut em out hard. Those things really eat at you later and might become some sticky situations.

i definitely started doing that around 26, as I became more confident in my own ability to assess how my life was going//began to realize that there would inevitably be a great deal of stuff that others wouldn't be able to aprpeciate, and that my happiness shouldn't be tied up in trying to make others see really abstract personal things that I can see. 2020 certainly helped a lot in this regard in the sense that mainstream culture has essentially been put on pause. No longer feeling obligation to maintain even a token showing of normalcy, I feel like I've been able to explore a whole lot of new ways of thinking & to somewhat re-define my self-image//my sense of what's actually important.

I'm also extremely pisces imo. i've largely ignored many of the typical 20something concerns in order to drift around & devote a great deal of time & energy to making low-key ambient music that I barely bother even telling anyone about any more. Emotionally I feel at peace with this but I do recognize that if I do want to do some normal people things (like say, having a kid) I'm probably going to have to find some unconventional "me" way of pulling it off. My dad was 40 when I was born, and I've always thought that I'd probably want to have a kid before that. This of course immediately raises many points of concerns such as "you haven't met anyone you'd want to have a kid with", "you've mostly just worked sporadic minimum wage jobs", "you like spending most of your time alone", "you live in a big city & imagine yourself raising a family in a rural area", etc. Again I try not to let these things get to me (because that wouldn't be productive); instead I try to think of alternative ways of achieving these things. I mean, like, this seems to be the case for millenials & younger across the board. Most of us haven't figured out an actual path to accomplishing basic adult stuff yet. Maybe it's us, maybe it's societal decay, maybe it's just an interesting challenge from the gods

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plum said:
2 hours ago, kakapo said:

That reminds me, I’ve finished crocheting that dildo you ordered. I’ll get it safely packed in prawn crackers and dropped off to postmistress Julie shortly.

Postmistresses, dildos, kakapo, and plum. A modern drama in 4 acts.

Just now, chenGOD said:

What is the most IDM astrological sign? Honest question.

I'm gonna go with Virgo (not just because it's Aphex Twin's sign): It's stereotypically associated with perfectionism & detail orientation. Also it's one of the four mutable signs, which would associate it with complex information systems. As for the other mutable signs: IDM isn't explicitly emotional enough to be pisces, there isn't enough reference to primary cultural forms to be Gemini, and there isn't the sense of a goal-oriented individualistic project that might come with sag. Whereas Virgo is mutable Earth: a complex system that can be immediately felt in an experiential way.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

8 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

my sarcasm detector seems to be broken these days so i'll just ask, do you actually believe in astrology or what

fuck no, but given how cats are venerated among so many why not have a big fuck off one

• Like 1

as an aquarius i am comfortable with astrology as style of orienting ideas about one's life around cool symbols and themes. people get triggered bc it's not "facts and logic" whereas i am delighted to see people talking about how their lives involve stars and mystical animals and stuff.

• Haha 1

So I just got back from the post office. I showed postmistress Julie this thread. She fucking hates Kakapo too. She hopes that all his parcels go astray and his private & confidentials get read by his neighbours.  

Spoiler

For those that are interested, this is postmistress Julie.

CNmW6bl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I guess a lot of people who are into astrology like the aesthetic/poetry of it and like to think about it because it makes them feel good and it's beautiful, while knowing exactly that it's not real. Astrology is a bit girly, though (not that that's a problem)

4 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Astrology is a bit girly, though (not that that's a problem)

it started off with me half-assing answers when girls asked me questions about my astrological chart, and at a cerain point like any good ideology it memed itself real