• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also with Tao Te Ching and I Ching it really depends on the translator what the hell the translation says because you can interpret the Chinese characters in the original texts in lots of different ways. Chuang Tzu is more consistent.

Chuang Tzu:

Liu Ling [3rd c. C.E.] always indulged in wine and let himself be uninhibited. Sometimes he would take his clothes off and stay in his house stark naked. When people saw this, they criticized him. Ling said: "I take Heaven and Earth as my pillars and roof, and the rooms of my house as my trousers. Gentlemen, what are you doing by entering my trousers?"

• Haha 6
11 minutes ago, zkom said:

Also with Tao Te Ching and I Ching it really depends on the translator what the hell the translation says because you can interpret the Chinese characters in the original texts in lots of different ways. Chuang Tzu is more consistent.

Yes, I saw some really ugly translations, where they'd translate dao with "the principle" instead of just "dao" or "tao". Have to give Chuang Tzu a try when I'm in the mood

4.ChuangTzu.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Whoooo I’m having a midlife crisis. I bought a Harley Davison and a leather jacket, ooohhh I’m such a rebel. Look I’ve grown a goatee and wear a bandanna. Fuck Off You Soppy Prick.

Get the drugs in, create a cult in your head, and follow it! And don’t come back.

Find your master Satan. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, zkom said:

Age is just a big blur at this point.

Mike Patton:

Remember this was released in 1992 and not in the 2010s :cisfor:

This article on Angel Dust is a fascinating insight into one of the best albums ever made.

https://www.fnmfollowers.com/post/angel-dust-28-years-making-the-album

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Yes, that makes sense, but I'd guess that these traits get diffused by other genetic/epigenetic/social/cultural/biological factors and the changes contribute in a very unpredictable way to the overall personality of a human which makes predictions solely based on the seasonal cycle very vague if at all possible

I started watching this lecture collection on behavioural biology  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL848F2368C90DDC3D (playlist), which seems to be pretty good. Very easy to listen to as well, as the prof is good at speaking

yeah, i would agree. my problem with any theory that suggests that external/biological/non-personal factors shape consciousness isn't so much that i think the idea is outlandish, but that probably any one person has all sorts of different factors affecting them in different ways. The human mind is extremely complex, and these esoteric systems that attempt to model general patterns can only do so (at best) on a very general level.

and i've seen that bearded man come up in my yt suggestions for years now, i've gotta actually get around to watching that at some point

4 hours ago, dingformung said:

Yhttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL848F2368C90DDC3D (playlist), which seems to be pretty good. Very easy to listen to as well, as the prof is good at speaking

This is my goto recommendation for any of my app dates who seem remotely intellectually inclined.  Been milking it ever since I devoured it three summers ago.  By far the most compelling prof I've ever listened to.  Normally I tune out during lectures, but he keeps it engaging the whole way.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:24 PM, Alcofribas said:

i'm 39. i'm pretty much ddl at the end of there will be blood

I hope to be that intimidating when I'm 39

I just noticed this at the bottom of the page...

Similar Content

kakapo
By kakapo
This is the Thai food thread.  We can allow tangential discussion of other SE Asian cuisine and food culture.  I do not want to hear about how you love Sriracha, you basic bitch.   

Wicked algorithm, @Joyrex :spiteful: 

Edited by J3FF3R00
On 2/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, dingformung said:

Yes, I saw some really ugly translations, where they'd translate dao with "the principle" instead of just "dao" or "tao". Have to give Chuang Tzu a try when I'm in the mood

4.ChuangTzu.pdf 13.42 MB · 3 downloads

It’s not bad, but very, very repetitive.

• Like 1

The moment kids on the innernet start callin me boomer, I am automatically midlife chrysalis

• Like 1

I like to think I had my midlife crisis in my early 20s depression years so it's all cash money from here, baby

• Like 2

I will be 39 this year and I am seriously considering taking drum lessons once the plague has calmed down.

• Like 3

As someone who has a few extra years on my ears I’ll just say wear ear plugs or just forget the drum thing. Tinnitus SUCKS and really ruins quality of life and there is no cure.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1