IGNORED

Midlife crisis

kakapo

10 hours ago, zkom said:

Age is just a big blur at this point.

Mike Patton:

Remember this was released in 1992 and not in the 2010s :cisfor:

This article on Angel Dust is a fascinating insight into one of the best albums ever made.

https://www.fnmfollowers.com/post/angel-dust-28-years-making-the-album

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Yes, that makes sense, but I'd guess that these traits get diffused by other genetic/epigenetic/social/cultural/biological factors and the changes contribute in a very unpredictable way to the overall personality of a human which makes predictions solely based on the seasonal cycle very vague if at all possible

I started watching this lecture collection on behavioural biology  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL848F2368C90DDC3D (playlist), which seems to be pretty good. Very easy to listen to as well, as the prof is good at speaking

yeah, i would agree. my problem with any theory that suggests that external/biological/non-personal factors shape consciousness isn't so much that i think the idea is outlandish, but that probably any one person has all sorts of different factors affecting them in different ways. The human mind is extremely complex, and these esoteric systems that attempt to model general patterns can only do so (at best) on a very general level.

and i've seen that bearded man come up in my yt suggestions for years now, i've gotta actually get around to watching that at some point

4 hours ago, dingformung said:

Yhttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL848F2368C90DDC3D (playlist), which seems to be pretty good. Very easy to listen to as well, as the prof is good at speaking

This is my goto recommendation for any of my app dates who seem remotely intellectually inclined.  Been milking it ever since I devoured it three summers ago.  By far the most compelling prof I've ever listened to.  Normally I tune out during lectures, but he keeps it engaging the whole way.

I just noticed this at the bottom of the page...

Similar Content

kakapo
By kakapo
This is the Thai food thread.  We can allow tangential discussion of other SE Asian cuisine and food culture.  I do not want to hear about how you love Sriracha, you basic bitch.   

Wicked algorithm, @Joyrex :spiteful: 

Edited by J3FF3R00

On 2/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, dingformung said:

Yes, I saw some really ugly translations, where they'd translate dao with "the principle" instead of just "dao" or "tao". Have to give Chuang Tzu a try when I'm in the mood

4.ChuangTzu.pdf 13.42 MB · 3 downloads

It’s not bad, but very, very repetitive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, azatoth said:

I will be 39 this year and I am seriously considering taking drum lessons once the plague has calmed down.

Yep, that's exactly how it starts. First you buy yourself a drum kit. Then you're wearing lycra cycling gear on Sundays. Before you know it, you're frequenting that lay-by on the outskirts of town, the one that's popular with other straight men. You know the one (if not, pm me for postcode). 

• Haha 3

My wife's dad, at age 50 something, got a massive tribal tattoo on his leg, bought a black mazda mx-5 with gold rims which he only ever referred to as his "sportscar" (never just "car"), had an affair with a series of welsh strumpets, and made a bunch of terrible financial decisions like just not bothering to pay the mortgage anymore, which got him kicked out of the family home and then he had to sleep on his mum's sofa in an old people's home for year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Farnsworth 2

56 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

My wife's dad, at age 50 something, got a massive tribal tattoo on his leg, bought a black mazda mx-5 with gold rims which he only ever referred to as his "sportscar" (never just "car"), had an affair with a series of welsh strumpets, and made a bunch of terrible financial decisions like just not bothering to pay the mortgage anymore, which got him kicked out of the family home and then he had to sleep on his mum's sofa in an old people's home for year.

Yeah, but just think of all the old dear poon he must’ve dusty-pumped in that year tho. 

?? on tap. 

• Haha 1
  • Burger 2

5 hours ago, Plum said:

Yep, that's exactly how it starts. First you buy yourself a drum kit. Then you're wearing lycra cycling gear on Sundays. Before you know it, you're frequenting that lay-by on the outskirts of town, the one that's popular with other straight men. You know the one (if not, pm me for postcode). 

Yeah what's with the lycra wearing cycling gear middle aged Dads out cycling on weekends and are sometimes aggressively cycling to piss off cars? Are they going through some kind of mid-life crisis? Does anyone know anyone that does this and can provide an insight into these people?

37 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yeah what's with the lycra wearing cycling gear middle aged Dads out cycling on weekends and are sometimes aggressively cycling to piss off cars? Are they going through some kind of mid-life crisis? Does anyone know anyone that does this and can provide an insight into these people?

General effects of years of exposure to lead aka boomer brain

52 minutes ago, Plum said:

Yeah, but just think of all the old dear poon he must’ve dusty-pumped in that year tho. 

?? on tap. 

He wouldn't have touched it mate, he sees himself as some sort of james bond figure despite all evidence to the contrary (works at a job centre plus)

Edited by Amen Warrior

Also your knees are shot by that age so if you want to do reasonably intense cardio its one of the better options.

Plum, unless I have a full and sincere apology by midnight tonight there will be consequences.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

I was in a corporate team once where almost all of the 50+ guys suddenly bought themselves tons of very expensive cycling gear. Then they got the whole team at work to sign up in this kind of "kilometer contest" where you mark down how many kilometers you ride each day for the summer. I also bought a cheapo odometer for my bicycle to track my kilometers. My bicycle was a piece of crap that I bought used for about 100€.

Finally at the end of the summer the kilometers were checked. The naïve young lad that I was back then thought that surely they are going to ride a lot with all that gear. They all rode about 200km or less each during the whole summer with their gear and cycles that must have cost several thousand euros. :facepalm: Meanwhile I rode my crappy bicycle basically almost everywhere because I didn't have a car and clocked in about 1500km. The only guy that got more kilometers than I did was this hipster trainee guy who was always on his fixie bike.

Never heard about the kilometer contest after that.

• Haha 3