Grouper - The Man Who Died In His Boat

"Liz Harris / Grouper has collected 12 unreleased recordings from the sessions which yielded her 2008 breakthrough record, Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill, for The Man Who Died in His Boat, a new LP set to drop next year via Kranky. In addition to the new album, Harris and Kranky will be reissuing Grouper's aforementioned 2008 full-length, a record that we were rather fond of at the time—even saying of it, "Music this lovely could almost change the world." The Man Who Died in His Boat and the Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill reissue are both set to see a release in February 2013."

look http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2012/12/grouper-collects-unreleased-reco

from p4rk:

In a press release, Harris explained the title The Man Who Died in His Boat:

When I was a teenager the wreckage of a sailboat washed up on the shore of Agate Beach. The remains of the vessel weren't removed for several days. I walked down with my father to peer inside the boat cabin. Maps, coffee cups and clothing were strewn around inside.

I remember looking only briefly, wilted by the feeling that I was violating some remnant of this man's presence by witnessing the evidence of its failure. Later I read a story about him in the paper. It was impossible to know what had happened. The boat had never crashed or capsized. He had simply slipped off somehow, and the boat, like a riderless horse, eventually came back home.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

Omg. That second last track, followed by the last track. Listened to the album on train this morning and it just about killed me.

I am a grouper groupie^~^

Edited by pigster

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now