my original composition played by the SUNY Potsdam Crane jazz band. I play bass. : )

https://soundcloud.com/happycream/posh-tater-4

words cannot describe how elated I am to hear this, I just was given the recording!!!

Edited by Salvatorin

Nice piece!

I like the quartal harmony in the vibes (and then the piano comping) and the voice-leading in the intro.

Ooh, then the half-whole (or maybe lydian b7?) stuff during the bass solo.

And also the "II - V - I dim/maj7 - I maj7."

Anyway, well done and cheers. :music:

• 5 months later...

anyone else listen to this perchance?

writing for whole ensemble ain't that easy, ya know...

but in a way it was way simpler and less OCD-inducing than electronic.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By auxien
      not sure if this is uber-WATMM or anti-WATMM
      probably the latter
      anyway now there's also a mug and pencil and pen set too

just give it a listen :)
    • By evia
      https://soundcloud.com/ev-ia/xiel
      Let me know what you think...
    • By samfez
      Hey guys, thought I'd post this here in case any of you guys were into it. New release on Love Love coming very soon....don't worry, we will be releasing some acid soon! ;)

------------------------------------------------------

‘Gentle Persuaders’ is the Love Love debut from London based neo-noise-jazz outfit Sly & The Family Drone. In the form of a four track long player, Sly vomit forth a smooth serving of curious and clattering noise not devoid of fun. 

With the ingredients of shattering baritone saxophone, splurges of analogue noise, rolling drum derangements and snarling feedback it is immediately clear that these formidable noise-mongers have honed their methods of ear-attack adeptly. Textural spaces are peppered with bouts of densely packed controlled-chaos creating a tension that builds almost imperceptibly until the crushing pay-off that comes with the final track. 

The politest of bludgeonings, ‘Gentle Persuaders’ has a real sense of cohesion and style, at times subtle and at others shudderingly direct. 

With their unusual and interactive live shows, the group cut their teeth stunning the audiences of punk and noise scenes across the UK and Europe. Now, Sly & The Family Drone present their most complete recording to date; a rush of sheer ataxia ushering in a new age of noise. Available to pre-order on 12" and all digital formats from www.loveloverecords.net releases April 26, 2019 
    • By thawkins
      https://detund.bandcamp.com/album/ab

I found this album while going through a poll for best Estonian album released in 2017. While most of the stuff there was basically usual suspects and boring hipster pop, this double LP (running length 2x37 minutes) is to me personally a jaw dropping pearl and I was instantly hooked.
      The concept is actually not a new one - trying to marry classical instruments and electronics, but it is really rare to see it executed so tastefully and dynamically as Taavi and Kristjan in this case have. There are step sequencers, but they are guided by the warm and loving hands of a human, so they do not force themselves nor do they attempt to dictate the mood in the same way that a repeating melody in a traditional house or techno track would. On the analog/classical yang, opposite of the electronics' ying, the woodwinds/brass/flutes/what have you do not stand alone, trying awkwardly to make friends with some metronome - instead somehow they manage to keep up a very dynamic and interesting dance, slowing down and speeding up.
      I think this album achieves what many attempts to combine traditional instruments and modern electronics do not - the music sounds raw, alive and very dynamic, but at the same time avoids using too many tropes associated with either classical or electronic music.

In my opinion it's one of the most interesting and innovative albums I have heard in the past 4-5 years. This has probably a lot to do with my personal taste, but I felt the need to share this thing nevertheless. I hope there's people here who will enjoy it as much as I did!