IGNORED

Ambient films

Alcofribas

Angel's Egg is very dark though. If you like dark, you might enjoy Bela Tarr's work.

Some chill, atmospheric stuff that's not unsettling: The Limits of Control, "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring", Ashes and Snow

I would like to know more as well.

Wow, that looks awesome.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

older black and white movies are really good for ambience, I used to just put on the turner classic movies channel to chill out, bc there are no high range noises, and things are much quieter on average

Oh yeah PONYO, and herzog's nosferatu

Criterion Collection has a lot of quality older and somewhat experimental films that may not even be capable of holding your attention, but are nonetheless intriguing and artful. Many of them are in foreign languages as well.

Hulu and Netflix both have a large amount of Criterion Collection films.

Angel's Egg is very dark though. If you like dark, you might enjoy Bela Tarr's work.

Some chill, atmospheric stuff that's not unsettling: The Limits of Control, "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring", Ashes and Snow

I would like to know more as well.

Wow, that looks awesome.

holy shit that reminds me of some really really fucked up and amazing french art film someone linked here a long long time ago...anyone know what Im talking about? It only had a soundtrack...it was black and white...and I think it involved a woman or bride...and it wasn't Begotten(which is also a great ambient film)

This series is as ambient as it gets. Sunrise Earth. No music, just the sound of being there. Big long 30 second shots of places during sunrise, somewhere on the planet. It used to come on in the morning on Animal Planet.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sunrise-Earth-Seaside-Collection-Blu-ray/1086/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sunrise-Earth-Alaska-Blu-ray/12343/

as i mentioned in the recent films thread, im not a huge fan of ambient films. ambient music is amazing because it provides a rich and engaging background, in a film it demands your entire attention, which i dont think im prepared to give.

on that note, stalker

the most ambient film ive ever seen.

i have the whole tarkovsky collection sitting there, but im not ready to sit and watch them yet i dont think.

i couldnt be arsed reading the thread, but enter the void was an enjoyable ambient film. ive been wanting to project it onto the walls of clubs i dj at but havent got round to finding out the legalities of it yet basically.

Check out the Thai movie Syndromes And A Century. Super beautiful, strange, nonlinear, and slow/ambient. I saw it with 2 friends and we all loved it & fell asleep at different times during the film

Guest pixelives

I've made this film two years ago that fits solely into this category. Split screen, one side shot in Germany, the other in Shanghai.

No dialogue, just score and image.

Please excuse the crappy youtube compression.

Archived