Zephyr_Nova

Not too much more to tell. I think she put the mic in a latex glove and lubed it up quite thoroughly. Then she crammed it up there and started screaming (and laughing because it was hilarious). Since it was picking up through her body, the sound was quite muffled but still clearly audible. Imagine putting your ear up to the belly of a pregnant woman carrying a freak baby that was able to scream from within the womb. That's the gist of it.

if you like the 80s industrial side of noise, or more innovative stuff than just your average HNW noisemakers i suggest you to listen vivenza ! http://www.discogs.com/artist/Vivenza

I just gave Realites Servo Mecaniques a listen --thoroughly enjoyed the mechanical loops, the sound esthetic and overall vibe, though I did get a little bored halfway through due to the repetition... but I'm sure that's part of the point. I'll be sure to check out some more of their stuff. I wonder if tam quam tabula rasa was at all influenced by them.

rudolf eb.er anyone? of all the people that make noise this guy is in a category all unto himself

Eb.er is a legend. I actually posted that video on the first page of this thread. Saw him do a set with junko recently where he took a different approach and played what sounded like tape loops and field recordings from the back of the stage. It was really hypnotic stuff and actually got a few people dancing in front of the speakers. He eventually came down into the crowd wearing a wig that made him look like that chick from ringu and started waving his witchdoctor/shaman staff (seems to be a staple in his recent performances) at random people in the crowd. His presence is unlike any performer I've seen before. I guess that probably applies to a few from the schimpfluch gruppe.

rudolf eb.er anyone? of all the people that make noise this guy is in a category all unto himself

fucking huge runzelstirn & gurgelstock fan here, i was really excited when he put a track of his on my Ghostbusters 3 comp from 5 years ago. I forgot to send him a copy of the comp and only was reminded of it a year ago when i asked him to be on my new one, i don't think he was too happy and i can understand why :sad:. I'd be pissed too if i was him.

and i have to stress, if you're a fan of Demdike Stare or just a casual listener, go check out Contagious Orgasm's Voltage Controlled Filter or Confessions of a Mannequin. It sounds like proto Demdike Stare but far noisier. I asked them when they played out here in Oakland if they were familiar with Contagious Orgasm but they said they hadn't heard of them, which was a little bit surprising since the resemblance is uncanny.

Edited by Awepittance

are you in SF? There is a partner of his that does solo stuff under the name Sudden Infant that's sort of similar, not as good imo but he's played twice out here in the last couple of years. Also if you like this sort of body involved uncomfortable human generated noise music check out Crank Sturgeon who plays out here pretty often. It's sort of like an acid casualty hippied up version of Runzelstirn.

Oh man, just finished listening to the second half of Masonna's Inner Mind Mystique... possibly the harshest noise release I've ever heard, quite the headphones experience! It's maybe a bit fucked up that I actually enjoy listening to this:

I was not expecting it to be nearly that brutal sounding, as I had heard a later release of his that sounded really thin and wimpy. Go figure.

Great thread. No idea where to start with this stuff, but I think I do need that F. Hecker album and I did listen to Satanstornade today—must do so more. Great music to work or ride the bus to. Qual.

(*in response to flurobox...)

Thanks, what a fantastic interview! It's interesting to hear how different his record approach is to his live performance. I've resolved to treat my own live performances as a separate entity from my recordings, since my recording methods are extremely dependent on editing, layering and sculpting the sound... and I think trying to reproduce that live would be lame. So it's good to hear more established noise artists have taken a similar approach and made it work. I often get the sense that studio perfectionism is frowned upon by a lot of people within the scene, but I don't think I could ever let that go... or rather I wouldn't want to. Studio manipulation is just far too much fun and leads to more interesting end results.

I just watched that Boyd Rice Iconoclaust documentary, which was fascinating. He's a much warmer person than I expected. I loved hearing about the various pranks he's pulled over the years. Interesting life that man has lead.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

are you in SF? There is a partner of his that does solo stuff under the name Sudden Infant that's sort of similar, not as good imo but he's played twice out here in the last couple of years. Also if you like this sort of body involved uncomfortable human generated noise music check out Crank Sturgeon who plays out here pretty often. It's sort of like an acid casualty hippied up version of Runzelstirn.

Yes I am in SF (most of the time) and would love love LOVE to see performances along these lines, but I'm not sure how to find out about them around the bay area... Any clues would be much appreciated!

Oh man, just finished listening to the second half of Masonna's Inner Mind Mystique... possibly the harshest noise release I've ever heard, quite the headphones experience! It's maybe a bit fucked up that I actually enjoy listening to this:

I was not expecting it to be nearly that brutal sounding, as I had heard a later release of his that sounded really thin and wimpy. Go figure.

Awesome! Glad you are appreciating Masonna; noise doesn't come much harsher... And as a live performer he is second to none (or at least he was at his peak).

Yay for that album!

I found a copy about five years ago in HMV. They'd filed it with the Madonna CDs.

Now I'm wondering why the hell I was looking in the Madonna section.......

i think some of you may find this interesting. it's a documentary that focuses on girls that do noise. the only ones i'm really familiar with are valerie martino (aka. unicorn hard-on) and leslie keffer

Any of you guys dig Neptune? I found these guys a few years back, they make a lot of the instruments used from various things and parts of other instruments... not exactly harsh noise more industrial i guess, but it gets pretty noisy. Gong Lake is a fantastic album.

Stupid fan vid (fucking art/film student film vids), but awesome song...

Same with this one... same chick made it dont watch the vid (unless you really want to I guess) but listen...

Live

Edited by ghOsty

i think some of you may find this interesting. it's a documentary that focuses on girls that do noise. the only ones i'm really familiar with are valerie martino (aka. unicorn hard-on) and leslie keffer

Cool doc, thanks for sharing. There are some sweet Lesllie Keffer performances on youtube. Good stuff.

I've seen quite a few female noise performers at noise fest here in Victoria. Notably, Froghat & Sofaqueen, who sometimes collab together:

And Anju Singh AKA The Nausea:

And here's a short excerpt from that infamous set I saw where the girl shoved a mic up her vagina (it's not actually graphic, so sfw in that regard):

This is earsplittingly delicious: http://fakerr.bandcamp.com/album/spasm-death

Manic feedback devastation, cuts you like a thousand tiny knives. Love it.

I just got John Wiese's Soft punk album in the mail, and it's fucking amazing. The sound design is top notch, and it's definitely some of the most creative noise music I've heard. Reminds me a bit of Richard Devine at points. Check it:

Lasse Marhaug's Shape of Rock To Come also blew my mind today. I unfortunately can't find any excerpts of the album on youtube to share, but here he is being awesome live:

He's been making noise for the last 20 years, and his work is very diverse. High, highly recommend delving into this guy's work if you haven't already. Exciting stuff.

nice, didn't realize Heathen Harvest was still active. Nebraska, do you know of any other halfway decent noise/experimental/ambient blogs or online magazines/review sites? I'm trying to find places I've overlooked for sending out my new record which is borderline noise and I'm coming up empty.