Zephyr_Nova

4 minutes ago, kichiguy said:

BJNIlsen has rekindled his industrial tape music project, Tape Dekay, from the 90s. Defo worth checking out.

Great album, reviewed in my latest snare rush zine nontheless! Unsettling music. The digital bonus track via bandcamp is also worth a listen.

Not always convinced by the Old Captain output, some of it is really intriguing noise, drone, sound art and experimental . Other times it's the really militant industrial / power electronics with war imagery and violence that honestly does nothing for me. 

39 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Great album, reviewed in my latest snare rush zine nontheless! Unsettling music. The digital bonus track via bandcamp is also worth a listen.

Not always convinced by the Old Captain output, some of it is really intriguing noise, drone, sound art and experimental . Other times it's the really militant industrial / power electronics with war imagery and violence that honestly does nothing for me. 

Nice one! Any other Old Captain recommendations? I never got that whole martial industrial aesthetic either, but maybe that's because I come  preloaded with an erstwhile colony bias and find nothing entertaining about fascism, totalitarianism etc. 

On 7/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, kichiguy said:

Nice one! Any other Old Captain recommendations? I never got that whole martial industrial aesthetic either, but maybe that's because I come  preloaded with an erstwhile colony bias and find nothing entertaining about fascism, totalitarianism etc. 

I got the Ebola Disco Discography, quite a savage collection of studio tracks and live recordings, all fits onto a single CD.

Great dirty textures, rumbling clippy distorted vocal screams.  You can pretty much visualize the live shows from hearing it ?

I guess its somewhere between noise and P/E

Edited by Soloman Tump

Will Bankhead has released noise-oriented records in the past, but never imagined Juntaro to join the roster. yee!

Edited by MiraeArts

On 7/31/2019 at 2:19 AM, hello spiral said:

Been revisiting all the Merzbow I used to listen to when I just got into him in the early 00s. These two atm

Cycle is off the hook! I have the CD lying around as well and remember playing it to death. Those interspersed field recordings on Cycle 2 were particularly transportive.  

20 minutes ago, kichiguy said:

Cycle is off the hook! I have the CD lying around as well and remember playing it to death. Those interspersed field recordings on Cycle 2 were particularly transportive.  

Yeah it's such a rad album. Best of both worlds. First track is pure 2001 Star Gate sequence. Second is epic Musique Concrete labyrinth

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 1:49 PM, hello spiral said:

Been revisiting all the Merzbow I used to listen to when I just got into him in the early 00s. These two atm

yeah, these are hitting the spot right now

1 hour ago, kichiguy said:

I heart Aube.

https://irislightmusic.bandcamp.com/track/undercurrent-i-ii

Btw does anyone know how to find the bandcamp wordpress album id?

yeah you go 'share/embed' under the album art, then the middle option with the three little boxes. Select the large rectangular box from the menu, then where the embed url is at the top left you switch it over to 'wordpress' take just the number next to album= in the url, click the badcamp logo thing in the reply box here and stick that number in:

el voila

• Thanks 1

Some more merzbow nostalgia:

I feel Coma Berenices is a real underrated gem within the 'bow discography. Have a lot of affection for this album. It's def guitar sample based and I feel the font choice and stark cover (note the youtube version is crunched, the cover is just plain black with artist name and title in white) may hint at a BM inspired vibe?

https://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Higanbana/release/1180818

Higanbana is unfortunately not on youtube. This one came out the same year as Coma and feels like it probably came out of the same sessions as Coma Berenices. Great one to throw on afterwards if you're not ready to leave that soundworld yet!

Edited by hello spiral

I did a 30+ minute noise/drone excursion inspired by my recent visit to Supernormal Festival.  It crawls between various states of full on feedback / crunch and minimal drone squelch.

I quite enjoyed creating this.

One day I will make a proper album of this stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candiru said:

For those that like noise music: What was it that made you start enjoying the genre?

It is a genre without constraints, conformities or boundaries.

Noise can be whatever the fuck it wants to be and if you do not like it well then listen to something else.

I am consistently amazed by the variety of sounds within the experimental / diy / noise / electronic worlds, without the need of sticking to a bpm, time signature or pre-determined song structure.

But don't get me wrong - I love techno.  I well constructed 140bpm 4/4 slamming techno set can slay me. 

But so can a weird collection of atonal bleeps of intermittent tempo and volume, layered over HNW for 2 hours.  Sometimes....

• Like 1

I think maybe I picked up Merzbow - Merzbeat and listened to it on my discman at a Portland modern art museum.  There was a giant, smooth, metal sculpture that to me was a perfect aesthetic match with the sounds I was hearing.  That's an early noise memory... maybe 2010?  Anyway, I got excited since it was a genre I hadn't explored which utilized effects, distortion, texture, sound design etc. in unpredictable and unusual ways.  I went to a few local noise shows also around this time, which were profound experiences.  It's like being immersed in a bath of sound, which is both relaxing and cathartic.  I was inspired to start making noise music within weeks of hearing it.  For me there was no adjustment period, just instant resonance.  Plus the people involved in it are generally really cool, at least in my experience.  I've probably had more fun at noise shows than anywhere else, both from a performer's and audience perspective.  To anyone who doesn't already enjoy noise music, I recommend attending a noise show and see if changes your perspective.  But bring ear plugs, just in case.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

^ Well thats a comprehensive boxed set! Don't have £300 laying around the pay for it though. 

In other news, I have been enjoying:-

The Vomit Arsonist - Nihil Dicit - https://deathbedtapes.com/album/nihil-dicit

Which is an effective blend of industrial / noise / PE sounds, dark and grim and unrelenting.

So what was you good peoples intro to noise? I think mine was downloading a random Masami track of a file sharing platform when I was 12 or 13. Pretty sure it was Ultramarine Blues. Came across the Merz via Alec Empire's DHR label. Thinking back a little further, I discovered digital hardcore courtesy a track Alec produced for the Handsome Boy Modelling School debut Lp. So hiphop -> digital hardcore -> japanoise. No turning back since.

• 2 weeks later...
Could anyone recommend me some Noise music that doesnt literally destroy my ears? I want to listen to some noise but my ears simply cant handle it...
Check that new emptyset in the new releases forum
  • Thanks 1