Zephyr_Nova

• 1 month later...

I've got my Venerology CD in my van, but have been apprehensive about putting it on while driving...  Driving with John Wiese - Soft Punk worked out pretty good though.  Might sandwich it between a couple Beach Boys albums to balance things out.

• Like 1

I don't listen to a lot of noise in its pure form, though when it's applied to other styles of music it's practically a staple element in many things I enjoy. but I recently discovered Pharmakon and something about the way she does it really puts its hooks in me. I've been binging all her albums on Sacred Bones.

she's also fantastic live. seems to approach creating sound in the way the originators of "industrial" had in mind.

• Like 1

This may seem an absurd ponderance, but I never understood why noise music always has to be so noisy.

By noisy, I mean loud and aggressive. Can noise music be as much about noises without needing to trigger discomfort?

Or is that just ambient music or musique concrete? Can anyone recommend non-confrontational noise music? Something that simply celebrates atonal, arrhythmic structured or unstructured sound?

Edited by Thu Zaw
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thu Zaw said:

This may seem an absurd ponderance, but I never understood why noise music always has to be so noisy.

By noisy, I mean loud and aggressive. Can noise music be as much about noises without needing to trigger discomfort?

Or is that just ambient music or musique concrete? Can anyone recommend non-confrontational noise music? Something that simply celebrates atonal, arrhythmic structured or unstructured sound?

Yeah man there's lots of stuff like that out there (it's actually my sweetspot a lot of the time)

Will return to this thread when more stuff occurs to me but for now check out Dylan Nyoukis aka Prick Decay aka Blood Stereo.

He's always said he makes 'noises' as opposed to 'noise'.

here's a fun one:

Adam Bohman is also One To Check

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thu Zaw said:

So much John Zorn. I like when noise creates that ambient vibe. Like how skinny puppy too dark park is somehow this mess of lofi samples and horror, but somehow it’s all so aesthetically pleasing.

A long time ago I was a process server/courier and I would just drive all day. Merzbow would really get me zoned out in this weird meditative way. It’s hard to articulate, but it’s always stuck with me.

18 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

There's actually hella mellow merzbow out there. Music For Bondage Performance comes to mind

I get that it's not all 'up to 11' all the time, but it all still seems to rely on distorted metal noise. 

I'm really after something intentionally chill, but not "ambient music".

I guess I'll have to make whatever it is I think I have in mind! ?

I think that some of painkiller, death ambient, and other various tzadik stuff is really close to what your getting at, @Thu Zaw, but with zorn stuff it’s eclectic and all over the place. I’m sure there’s some stuff in there you’d like tho, that’s along the lines of what you’re describing. It also doesn’t help that a lot of it isn’t easy to hear online.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thu Zaw said:

the only answer i can give you is a quote from juntaro yamanouchi (the gerogerigegege)

Well, I cannot answer your question "why ?" but can only say that this is THE GEROGERIGEGEGE!

as for non-confrontational noise recommendations: there is a guy from pittsburgh who was making noise music exploring the subject of "medicine". i forget the name now (tried looking it up based on my description and still couldn't find it) but i remember it being surprisingly mellow. hopefully someone know what i'm talking about

• 2 months later...

Some noise I've been digging lately.

Will Rest When Dead is particularly lovely crunchy scrap metal abuse which doesn't always do it for me, but on this occasion the compositions are just right and don't overstay their welcome 

https://foreverescapingboredom.bandcamp.com/album/will-rest-when-dead

Dit Sese is billed as dense drone electronics, kind of meditative but definitely veers into noise territory 

https://invisiblecityrecords.bandcamp.com/album/dit-sese

Harm Signals, yeah I think the project name gives it away. Short tracks by noise standards gives punchy effect, great stuff

https://bentwindowrecords.bandcamp.com/album/embrace-extinction-harm-signals

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...