IGNORED

Opinions on contemporary art/music/pop/underground culture

Salvatorin

Oh I just realized I forgot to include the hilariously stupid (yet worth considering) thought that popped into my head and spurred me to write all this. it were these little gems:

"THE MAN/MEDIA IS OVERINTELLECTUALIZING ELECTRONIC MUSIC TO KEEP THE FANS DISTRACTED BY THEIR NICHE CONSUMERISM"

"THEY'RE OVERHYPING DARK MUSIC TO CONVINCE THE ELECTRONIC MUSIC CONSUMER TO HATE THE WORLD AND THEMSELVES AND EFFECTIVELY RENDER THEMSELVES INERT"

really I have to agree with awepittance though in that the 'industrial' spin on things feels like a way to 'spice up' the market and make the subculturally flaccid electronic elitist feel 'dark' and 'edgy' with their purchases...

jk...

really these are just inaffectual notions of a man searching for meaning in a confusing world...

yeah...lol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are they overhyping "dark" electronic music? Most of the mainstream electronic music is essentially party music/club, which while might be disturbing sounding to us, is perceived by the mainstream as happy/positive music. But there definitely is popular dark electronic music, just not prominent enough to proclaim any kind of cultural impact. Perhaps you are referring to Vatican Shadow, Regis, Silent Servant as an example of a rise of industrial music on the 'scene.' But I find it dubious to proclaim they aren't 'edgey' as you would have to conclude when claiming or suggesting there is a over-hyping by 'them'. Could the times we live in just be a reflection of 'industrial' or 'dark' music? Why does an invisible hand have to be involved for anything we do not understand? Do we really need these distractions? No qualms with differences of opinions but there is no need to extend religious thought process and become fearful of society and therefore people. Everyone is brainwashed to a degree, only though our inner focus will we reflect positively onto others. Collectively we grow.

So while the indsutry is being manipulated and always has been, it can remain (more than every now) separate from our own world, like a ocean of people on the moon. One only be reminded if they dare use their telescope.

Where are they overhyping "dark" electronic music? Most of the mainstream electronic music is essentially party music/club, which while might be disturbing sounding to us is perceived by the mainstream as happy/positive music. But there definitely is popular dark electronic music, just not prominent enough to proclaim any kind of cultural impact. Perhaps you are referring to Vatican Shadow, Regis, Silent Servant as an example of a rise of industrial music on the 'scene.' But I find it dubious to proclaim they aren't 'edgey' as you would have to do to conclude a over-hyping by 'them'. Could the times we live in not be a reflection of 'industrial' or 'dark' music? Why does an invisible hand have to be involved for anything we do not understand. Do we really need these distractions? No qualms with differences of opinions but there is no need to extend religious thought process and become fearful of society and therefore people. Everyone is brainwashed to a degree, only though our inner focus will we reflect positively onto others. Collectively we grow.

As I mentioned, those tin foil hat proclamations were highly irrational (that mysterious conspiracist they, lol), random things that popped into my head while I was diving deep into old spiral tribe recordings. The raw, reckless energy of those performances, seemingly unfocused with artistry yet unwilling to yield to poppiness, looking back from my vantage point, seems like something alien and lost.

right, and I actually am big fans of all those artists you mentioned (don't forget shackleton, bringing that hypnotic tribal shit), I have almost all the vatican shadow I could find, and I do think I'm edgey for listening to him (lol). I have some more things to say about dubstep but I got to take a breather.

besides the obvious fact that timewave zero never actually happened in late December of 2012, i still think back to Mckenna's discussions about 'full novelty' being reached once human culture gets to the point of recycling everything from our past, once we do that where do we go from there? It's obviously not that simple or clear cut but it's interesting to think of how much of the past we still haven't mined for new culture.

and re: Vatican Shadow being the 'industrial/ dark' music of our times. I think you not need to go much farther than to read a lot about the rise of industrial music in the 70s and to see the ideas that the industrial music scene spread and was in reaction to. I saw industrial music as sort of the evolution of the Punk ethos, but taking it into much more extreme territory. Bands like Vatican shadow are trying to aesthetically echo those past ideas, but have none of the same ideas or concepts at play underneath the music. It's sort of taxidermic, not bad, just no where near the same level of stuff like Throbbing Gristle, Survival Research Laborites. If it is a reflection of 'our time' then that would mean our time is one of self censorship and self stifling and repression, where acting out fantasies of the industrial era are more important than truly embodying it.

I think it's going to be a while before culture gets to the same place industrial was at in the 70s. What's strange to me though is that people in the 70s rightfully saw the Nixon era and Vietnam (even when it ended) as sort of the dream being killed, that we were in a world of increasing tyranny and despair. Post George W Bush, Obama sort of zapped everybody back into submission. So i think it will take another reactionary Nixonian esque era to zap us back into a more rebellious mindset as an artistic culture which might bring something as visceral and exciting as 70s industrial music ethos back into music culture.

Archived